Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chunnel Self Service Check in Question

Poster: A snowHead
If you arrive early at Folkstone (and have checked the day before that there are spaces on earlier trains) does the self service check in let you choose an earlier train or is it better to speak to a person at booth/desk?

Never done chunnel before!

Any other nifty tips and advice welcomed!

FS Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Asked same question after a recent trip and seemingly it does, though I am a bit old fashioned and like to speak to people Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gwaelod, Thanks! I know what you mean! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Freestyle, Yes it does, and uses the same screen as the attendants, but we have driven sraight thru onto and earlier train although it wasn't offered Toofy Grin
If you know you are early during your journney you can call up customer services on your mobile and get the time moved forward Very Happy

A little tip for self check in, it's easiest if you have the card you paid for your ticket with you to put in the machine to bring your booking up (Saves the bother of typing in the res number). Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will do re the card! Thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Completely agree with using card instead of punching number in - so much easier.

Again, Yes will offer alternative trains if available

My only bit of advice is if its quiet just drive through when you feel like it - chances are they'll put you on a train
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Using the card also works on the TGV routes in France (although a lot of the readers will tell you that they only work for French cards)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with all the above. It is also a little known fact that they will actually put on on a train 2 hours either side of your booking if there is space so you effectively have a 4 hour window of opportunity. (Obviously on the drive back you tend you use the later rather than earlier deadline...!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great advice everyone - cheers!

FS Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It is also a little known fact that they will actually put on on a train 2 hours either side of your booking if there is space so you effectively have a 4 hour window of opportunity.

they'll put you on a train up to 24 hours later, in fact, though you might have to pay a supplement if it's a more expensive crossing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In my experience they'll pretty much put you on any train! We gave up bothering to amend bookings and actually turned up 24 hours late last Easter due to one of the kids being ill and they just let us on without question! Can be a bit tricky coming back at busy times however and the Calais 'terminal' is not a nice place to spend any more than a few minutes. Hopefully the 'touch' screens have been replaced or repaired since the summer, did have to get fairly physical to get them to respond.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another question - what address do I put in my SAT NAV to get back to the Calais terminal (my SAT NAV doesn't work on postcodes only on town and road name)?

And do the tolls on the autoroutes accept UK credit cards?

FS Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freestyle wrote:

And do the tolls on the autoroutes accept UK credit cards?

Yes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freestyle, I think from memory using 'Coquelles' as your destination should get you pretty close. My Tom Tom already has the Tunnel as a location, but its very well signposted.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked

Ta!

It's snowing in Hitchin right now!
snow report
Anyone travelling on Saturday?Crossings all seem to be full, so don't bank on getting on a different train if you have a high vehicle. Only the 12-2 slot has any space for others.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-12-07 11:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

Crossings all seem to be full, so don't bank on getting on a different train
Good point, Helen. Yes, they can't change the time if the trains are full! But then presumably the people paying top dollar couldn't do so either? I wonder.
snow report
The Tunnel wasn't working well yesterday, you had to put in your reservation number, the screens wouldnt use your credit card to call up the booking. When our details came up it said we would be on the 9.20 Shocked We were booked on the 8.20. Anyway it seems trains were up the shoot and we drove straight through and got onto a train that left at 8.30!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy