Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with an arm in a plaster cast?

Poster: A snowHead
My friend fractured his arm (hairline) 3 weeks ago and as a result has his wrist in a cast .... he can partially weight bare on it, but couldn't for example do push ups or anything - any thoughts as to whether he should cancel his skiing holiday in Austria next week or risk it and go anyway ? ? ? Anyone skied with a cast on before? Skullie
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied with a doctor who broke his wrist in resort, his arm was in a pot, it didn't stop him, in fact he made the nurse put the cast on so that he could still hold his skipole, plus further modifications with a pair of scissors later in the evening.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suspect there could be some insurance issues. If he does get into trouble an needs more care it's unlikely that his insurance will cover it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
williams691, the main thing to check is....if he skis, will he be insured? It may well be that the insurance company will refuse to cover him, even for non related injuries.

If the insurance is okay, then it'll deend on the cast size. I skied with a broken wrist, as it was in a fibreglass cast that stretched from where my thumb joins the hand to about 2" below the wrist joint. i wouldn't have liked to have tried it in a heavy cast that went up to my elbow!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd go and take things easy...but depends how prone to falling they are...
If it will take a jolt then the bone is probably secure ...but the ligaments and tendons might be still bruised...which is possibly what the pain is for...

I would still be planning to go at this stage... but they might need to talk to someone who knows and see what they say. If you ask anyone who doesn't have the benefit of a upto date x-ray, there will be a degree of guesswork anyway and if they are in a medical position, they will HAVE to err on the side of caution.. that is to be expected.. IMV
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
david@mediacopy, is right. Do not do it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So this insurance issue .... what if he takes out a policy and declares that his wrist is in a pot??? Any ideas of a way round it?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
williams691 wrote:
So this insurance issue .... what if he takes out a policy and declares that his wrist is in a pot??? Any ideas of a way round it?

The insurance will (or are likely to) state that his arm will be excluded from any cover.

It's an 'interesting' subject and it's possible that a seemingly innocuous trip to the doctors prior to your trip (depending) could be an issue, depending on your policy wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He's going to ring them and ask .... I'll let you know what the outcome is Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
my son broke his wrist skiing 2 years ago in courchevel and the doctor who put the cast on shaped it so my son could still hold a pole! he advised him to just do greens and easy blues after having had a few days rest. don't take the risk of anything else happening to him and his parents having to remortgage the house to pay the bill! good luck
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Insure & Go.com said they would cover a broken arm (broken 3 weeks ago) that is now in a cast, for an extra £6.50 and there are no exclusions to the cover, even if he breaks it in the same place again Smile Not bad eh, so that's £34 in total for insurance, for 2 people, for a week, one with arm in pot!

Now onto the technical stuff, how to fall ..... try landing on ass, shoulder, hip ..... as opposed to reaching out and using arm to break fall (which obviously isn't too good for the collar bone anyway), any tips on how to go to ground in the safest way? Skullie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
williams691, you have a sensible insurance company. Your friend's arm is in a hard plaster shell: it is well protected.
Try to get a fibreglass cast rather than gypsona ("plaster of paris").
And look after it properly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I got ski insurance for the family this year my daughter had been to see the ENT consultant in the previous 12 months for nose bleeds - something that I guess could be agrevated by altitude so I ummed and arghed, and because the question said had anyone seem a consultant in the last 12 months in the finish I telephoned and told them - I know thats a little different to a broken wrist, but they said it would not affect the premium cost or cover in the least, but they just wanted to know about it and if I hadn't have said anything and she had of had problems and the consultants visit had come up that they would have questioned paying out for the treatment. As I say I accept that a wrist is a different issue, but your friend might find a similar response if he plays ball and is up front with the insurers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
williams691, Good news. He must be using a different insurer to the one I had last year Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
williams691, Insure and Go is who I use - funny that!!
snow conditions
Like tommygirl's son, my son broke his arm in Obergurgl and the doctor said 'he could ski but perhaps not tomorrow'. Just no snowboarding, the hire shop seemed used to it and set bindings to an easy release setting, of course he never fell! Never considered the insurance implications as the Dr had OK'd it.
snow conditions
Yep, honesty is the best policy with insurance, I'd just make sure you get confirmation from them that you're still covered for an old injury (such as a previously broken arm) coz a Helo off the hill ain't cheap Smile Also might be worth getting a letter from the Doc stating he has no objections to you skiing, then if the insurance do a U-turn you've got some ass cover Smile the lesson here is don't break your arm in the first place!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy