Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES snow report 2007/08

Poster: A snowHead
metalhead132 wrote:
SharkEnergy wrote:
Not being negative but I don't trust the local readings for some reason. Remember last time?

"The snow fall forecasted for today are: optimist 60cm, pessimist 20cm....so 30-40cm easily..... "

We got 10cm at Grand Valira on that "dump"...

But the optimist in me expects a good 30-40 over the next 2 weeks to put the conditions slightly better than last Jan/Feb.

The sad news for Andorra in particular is that if theyhave another crap season - Who will bother to go back for a third year?

It's not true. In Andorra fell 20 to 25 cm in these days, but the snow report only increases in 10cm because they are lying all the season about snow amounts.

Nice one metalhead....you tell em! although I do find it a little strange that the grandvalira website would say they had 10cm when they actually had 25cm....maybe they want it all to themselves!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SharkEnergy wrote:
Not being negative but I don't trust the local readings for some reason. Remember last time?

"The snow fall forecasted for today are: optimist 60cm, pessimist 20cm....so 30-40cm easily..... "

We got 10cm at Grand Valira on that "dump"...

But the optimist in me expects a good 30-40 over the next 2 weeks to put the conditions slightly better than last Jan/Feb.

The sad news for Andorra in particular is that if theyhave another crap season - Who will bother to go back for a third year?

I remember you that I said that the most affected part could be prepyrenees and southern resorts, AND I REPORT 43cm of new snow in Port del Comte (I posted some photos), 30cm in Masella, 25 in GV........so not bad at all!! The problem was the rain two days later!!! We also predicted it....

I'm pissed of as you because this poor conditions, we live here and it's our playground every weekend, we want 1m of new snow every week.... Sad Sad Sad ...... So, if you don't trust us...... Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled ..I remember you that the forecasts of mediterranean area are ones of the mosts difficults because large models (GFS and others) only have 1-2 points of the grid calculation in catalunya!! 1-2 points to calculate weather in pyrenees, in costa brava, in the central plane, in the Ebro valley (affected by different winds), in barcelona, places affected by mediterranean sea, and others as baqueira or Pas de la Casa more affected by atlantic.....

And no problem for andorra....if nobody want to return, more space for us!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With metalian we alwats laugh about snow depth that the resorts claim in the pyrenees!!!

NEVER believe an official snow report in the pyrenees before a local tell you that it's ok!!! This year formigal was saying in december that they have 50-100cm of snow and the precipitacion accumulated by the weather service stations in this zone was nothing!!!! And apart from man-made snowed runs the rest were in grass!!!

All is marketing, if one resort say 50cm the neighbour say 55cm.......

I remember 3 years ago Masella started as american's to say snow depth and total precipitation accumulated of season!!! At mid-season they changed because they had more snow depth than the accumulated Shocked Shocked Shocked Sad Sad

Also remember the '96 season, that was a record season with more than 6-7m of snow depth......AND also false!!! they only said 3meters because not frigthen the people about to much snow, Boi needs 1 weeks to "found" the chairs under the snow!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks like some of the white stuff has fallen in Andorra http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/main.aspx?lang=1&section=104&subsection=150
snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jase2472 wrote:
looks like some of the white stuff has fallen in Andorra http://www.grandvalira.com/gv/main.aspx?lang=1&section=104&subsection=150
snowHead

Don't think so jase...I think it's supposed to snow a bit later....we will see!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's snowing light now in eastern Pyrenées, I can see the clouds in the range from my window Laughing Laughing Laughing
In the afternoon, is predicted more intense precipitations,and rain here, out of the mountains
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
5cm of fresh in cerler this morning, south winds bring precipitation in this resort, and Boí Taüll, also in prepyrenées is falling something jiji.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah you can see some snow ont he webcams of Grandvalira as the roof tops in the Canillo shot are getting whiter.

Goign back to a previous point - Grandvalira would not report 10cm if they had had 25cm. That's just silly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just looking at andorra trafic cams its snowing hard in pas and soldeu now Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
do you have a link for the web cam in pas
thanks
stevo
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
think so www.andorramania.com then look at bottom of page 32 traffic cams Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thank mate

stevo
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.mobilitat.ad/CA/mapacontinu.asp
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a relative newbi to skiing, we've been twice to Bulgaria and going this year to pas de la casa the last week of feb, could some explain what the difference is between installations and slopes?

I know its going to be a stupid question but I've got to learn somehow NehNeh Puzzled

glad to see some fresh snow on the ground over there!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Your Installations are all the drags, buttons and chairs linking all the slopes.
latest report
20cm last night and still dumping it down! Excellent. My pessimism paid off.
ski holidays
SharkEnergy wrote:
20cm last night and still dumping it down! Excellent. My pessimism paid off.

Please please please keep snowing!!!!! Very Happy
snow report
lets pray for more
not doing to well in gloucester had to pull guys off site to day 60cm of snow in 1 hour
house had 4cm of water in front room carpets and furniture now on lawn
off skiing tonight perhaps i should stay up in stroud and ski the commons.
andorra here we come

stevo
snow report
wow,.. 40 to 50cm un North face of tha range; Baquiera, Cauterets, etc.
40cm in Cerler, 30 in Capcir area (Neiges catalanes).

10 to 15cm in prepyrenés.

Still snowing, in wel orientated areas,....tomorrow night and wednesday other dump it's possible,..and the rain at the moment is dissapeared!!!!!

Maybe 70 to 90cm in 4 days counting today
snow report
metalhead132 wrote:

Still snowing, in wel orientated areas,....tomorrow night and wednesday other dump it's possible,..and the rain at the moment is dissapeared!!!!!

Whats the granvallira situation!! 20cm reported,any news on slope state?
snow conditions
I don't know the exactly situation; i try to know more.
latest report
hope its good cause i fly out on monday wink wink snowHead
ski holidays
metalhead132 wrote:

Great skiing to be had for the next 3 or 4 days with maybe a few flurries, however the worrying thing is the forecast for the following week where 3 reports are talking of temperatures into double figures. Not so bad if it doesn't rain but we need a prolonged cold spell to reconsolidate the base. Though I love playing in the new powder off piste, the damage to the ski base makes it almost crazy (almost) without the packed down cover below.

For once lets hope the forecasts are wrong
ski holidays
ski guide...where do you get your information from?
snow report
I stayed in Andorra today. We skied in Arcalis, and they have good conditions, enough coverage and 95% of slopes open. Good powder in piste.
We hope that the cold fronts of this week bring more snow!!
ski holidays
Some more needed here in Soldeu as the wind has done considerable damage to the 10 to 15 cm that fell on the windless night of Friday. Looking forward to the next prediction for snow it also comes with 65 km winds!!!. However there was good skiing to be had in most places yesterday and today.
snow report
andyjc wrote:
ski guide...where do you get your information from?

Due to our business I am paranoid about the weather and spend a lot of time checking across about half a dozen sites.

Longer term for trending and weather patterns I use the weather underground animated map of Europe.

http://www.wunderground.com/modelmaps/maps.asp?model=GFS&domain=I_FR

For local long term I use either the MSN 10 day forecast which has proved fairly reliable but check this against netweather which usually seem to back each other up.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=11;type=winter;country=France;resort=Superbagneres;sess=#forecast

For the shorter term forecast I use http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/pyrenees though they are normally quite good for the up to 3 day maps the longer range forecast seem erratic.

For the day itself to advise guests I tend to use the national weather provided by meteo.fr and meteo consult.

There are other sites like Accuweather that i tend to ignore as they are generally way off the mark.

For now - great snow, mild temperatures with a top up due over the next few days which will keep things looking good for another week and should see us through the mild weather predicted for next weekend.

Enjoy...........
latest report
cheers mate.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
J2 ski and metcheck predicting rain on friday...coupled with high temps...is this gonna be a disaster or what? someone tell me it's a load of bo****ks!. What about next week?those fancy charts are showing little in the way of precipitation right up to 30 Jan. Someone tell me otherwise! because the Alps are getting hammered again! what's going wrong!!!
latest report
Sorry.....but not nice forecasts.....the problem isn't the lack of snow fall forecast, the real problem will be the HIGH TEMPERATURES for the next week and maybe little rain.....it can be a disaster because the snowbase is thin.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ....But it can change.
latest report
Altom...How long are the high temps being predicted to last for? I thought it was just for next weekend.
snow conditions
AlTom wrote:
With metalian we alwats laugh about snow depth that the resorts claim in the pyrenees!!!

NEVER believe an official snow report in the pyrenees before a local tell you that it's ok!!! This year formigal was saying in december that they have 50-100cm of snow and the precipitacion accumulated by the weather service stations in this zone was nothing!!!! And apart from man-made snowed runs the rest were in grass!!!

!!

every time weve been to peyragudes the peyragudes website snow report has been a work of complete fiction rolling eyes
back there soon...............i hope things change a bit.
ski holidays
Have just skied at Formigueres and Les Angles after the snow on Friday/saturday and can report that the slopes are in excellent condition and barely a soul around. Formigueres had 89% slopes open and Les Angles 85%.
ski holidays
flying out a week on thurs........things are hinted at to improve, fingers crossed.

just back from la plagne........... pyrenees may be as good rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
pyrenees pastimes,
Just thinking of going to Les Angles 1-5 feb staying in Hotel Bel Angle.
Good idea, any advice?
I'm hoping to re-introduce my Girlfriend to skiing after 10 year away so need lessons and easy access.
I'm strong intermediate (On piste only).
Thanks for any info.
snow report
pyrenees pastimes, this was Font Romeu on Saturday morning. Great conditions!

ski holidays
sequoiaboard wrote:
flying out a week on thurs........things are hinted at to improve, fingers crossed.

just back from la plagne........... Pyrenees may be as good rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Peyragudes is skiing great at the moment. As mentioned earlier there was a decent dump last week and today its blowing a blizzard which will extend into the morning. Though it is down to rain Thursday afternoon it shouldn't do too much harm to the piste which does have a decent base.

Temperatures are looking to drop back down to normal after the weekend (Tuesday/Wednesday) with a hint of more snow on the horizon.
ski holidays
Grandvalira website are showing 30cm of fresh snow this morning...well they were showing 10cm first thing but have now increased it to 30cm!! cams don't look like 30cm of new stuff to me. Can anyone confirm amount of fresh and what condition the slopes are in?
snow report
Ski Guide, thanks for the info. i am totally amazed that a snowhead is out there. we thought we were the only people from the uk to have heard of the place, never mind skiied it !............well that is how it feels when we're out there. 2 years ago we only heard one other english voice on the pistes. what a contrast to the alps.
best wishes, and may the snow continue Smile
snow conditions
sequoiaboard wrote:
Ski Guide, thanks for the info. i am totally amazed that a snowhead is out there. we thought we were the only people from the uk to have heard of the place, never mind skiied it !............well that is how it feels when we're out there. 2 years ago we only heard one other english voice on the pistes. what a contrast to the alps.
best wishes, and may the snow continue Smile

Heavy snow last night with fantastic skiing this morning, but as expected the rain has now arrived and due to get heavier as the day progresses. Hopefully it wont do too much damage.

Its January - changeable weather but fantastic skiing on empty slopes. This was at 11am this morning, plenty of powder to make your own first tracks and no one around. Peyragudes is only a couple of valleys beyond the horizon of the picture and they has great snow last night also.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy