Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PYRENEES snow report 2007/08

Poster: A snowHead
finally it seems that the snows arrives.....

webcams now:
Soldeu:

Pas de la Casa:

Please my God keep it hard for hours!!! If tomorrow or the day after, the snow falled is more than 50cm I'll take a day off to taste it...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlTom, excellent news !
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we have waited long enough, andorra is become infamous for it's march snow!
The instructor I know in resorts says that local reports estimate it is supposed to snow until thursday, just as long as it stays cold,
Hopefully this will improve conditions greatly!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last news from Andorra (I have a friend there...), this morning in el Tarter (1700) the amount of new snow in the ground is between 40-50cm.... and the snow is still falling hard. Today GV is closed due high winds. Surely highest and exposed parts will be blowed, but in the bowls will be nice.....

In Catalunya and Andorra there are some roads closed, and all pyrenees is in snow alert and is needed snowchains (in Andorra is snowing at all levels and the chains are needed from andorra la vella)

NICE Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I'm really excited
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some photos from the tourist office in Piau....courtesy of skipass....... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

http://www.skipass.com/forums/enmontagne/stations_ski_france/pyrenees/sujet-93017.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Last news from Andorra (I have a friend there...), this morning in el Tarter (1700) the amount of new snow in the ground is between 40-50cm.... and the snow is still falling hard.

woop woop Thankyou snowgods!! Heading out that way for a week on Saturday...which reminds me...still haven't booked a transfer!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tavascan claims 60cm yesterday.....so with the amount falling today can be a great storm. Maybe the cycle can finish with 1m of new snow

I hope that the people will be conscious about avalanche danger. The base was horrible (ice) or inexistant, and this storm comes with 100km/h N winds, so lots of acumulations in S faces directly on the grass/rocks, and big slabs can be formed. SO please don't ski S faces. In the N faces the exposition to the wind can't permitt the accumulations so the level could be less. I think the conditions are OK to ski in the forests of the N faces....

All the pyrenees skiers we're crazy to ski soft and fresh snow, but be quiet an evaluate the conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend in Andorra just told me it has been nuking it there, and more to come.

Send it North and East when you have finished with it please??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
Send it North and East when you have finished with it please??

To finish with it we need two weeks of storm!!! wink wink

About temperatures at 2500º --> -15º brfffffff a little cold....so fluffy snow
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a photo from Vall d'aran at 1200m.....note that 2 days ago all was without NOTHING of snow

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AlTom, Where abouts is that ? I was thinking Garos, but not 100% Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it's UNHA
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK, the crane will be working on the new apartments overlooking Salardu? I was there a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking of popping back over now it's snowing again. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lets just hope the temps stay low enough so it doesn't all melt again!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AlTom wrote:
it's UNHA

Hi AlTom,

Great snow over the hill in Luchon also (and still falling) though Superbagneres/Peyragudes and Baqueira have been closed due to wind. The wind should hopefully drop to give us a great powder day on the mountain tomorrow.

Any news on La Tuca - are they going to reopen the resort?
snow report
I think today all resorts in the pyrenees were closed, tomorrow meteofrance say that the wind will be less, but meteocat (catalunya meteo service) give an alert of more than 70% of possibilities to have wind gusts of 90km/h and 30% to reach the 120km/h........So maybe tomorrow the resorts will close too.

And also forecast more snowfall tomorrow afternoon Laughing Laughing Laughing

depending on the conditions tomorrow, and specially when the wind drops.... Friday could be THE day, and if all runs OK I'll take the day of to be in the mountains!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Hello,

Just discovered snowheads! What a fab website. Thank you so much for this news. Going to El tartar on sun 9th and was seriously worried about the conditions.... Now I'm SOOOOOO excited!
Very Happy
latest report
gallabar, welcome to snowHeads - enjoy the ride snowHead
snow conditions
AlTom, I am so happy for you that you finally have the big dump. Enjoy! Very Happy
snow conditions
Today the wind will blow lot of places, but after all we'll be in a better situation than before. This weekend I'll be for sure in the mountains.

With N situation like this the models always fail, because they don’t “think” in the retention due to the perpendicular exposition of the Pyrenees to the winds. Always the same, all the local forecast are quite cautious due to the last errors, but the people who know the local meteo were forecasting it correctly.

For example, Tavascan, a little resort (only have 1 lift, but this lift give acces to a big an amazing backcountry terrain), is situated in the sources of S face (between Baqueira and Andorra, in the catalan side) the forecast said little precipitation…….But, due to high winds the snow jump to the S face and added to the local orography that pick additionally all the snow from the N faces, it results in 120cm of new snow, and all the valley isolated. I think this morning they will try to open the road, I know a man that maybe can take some photos from the machine (he knows the people..) so I’ll put the link here if it can be possible.

After that, maybe you can understand a little the difficult of the meteorology in the Pyrenees, the grids in the global models are too big for this region, only can bring a little support to local knowledge
snow conditions
Grandvalira is partially open today, with around 10-20% of runs in each resort open! Confused
snow report
Pas de la Casa this morning Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

ski holidays
yipee now i can safely count the days till I arrive in pas on the 16th of march! Im so excited Razz Razz wink
snow report
Another place that pick LOTS of snow due to wind acumulation is the zone called "capcir", and specially formigueres (is know as "le petite sibérie") in the french eastern zone. The cause of this acumulation is that in the North, in front of it have the massif of Carlit that emerges until 2900m and make a barrier that after it stops the wind and pick the snow, then the forest and the bowl of Formigueres make the rest!!!

The thing is that the website say that formigueres receives 180cm of new snow in 48h!!!! http://www.formigueres.net/images_contenu/bulletin_enneigement_formigueres_66.pdfUnreal Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

And knowing the local weather I believe that. Adding that all the resort is in the forest and N orientated!!! PERFECT....... Just talk to my boss, and with a friend, and make an appointment for tomorrow in formigueres to check it..... Razz Razz Razz Razz

And the nice thing is that today the resort is partially closed due to bigs amounts of snow to move and bash....Tomorrow will be THE DAY!!!

PD. Maybe this evening and night can have another snowfall......I'm starting to be a little nervous...
latest report
why is that the pyrenees always get big march snowfall, I went to PAs in Jan and the snow was ok, a bit bald in places, I was started to get worried that my march trip was going to a disaster!
snow report
Grand total for Bareges-La Mongie (Tourmalet resort) - 70cm of fresh snow. Clear blue skies today and we have had the most fantastic morning skiing over-the-knee powder. Not sure if my legs have ever been so tired, but days like this only come once a year, so we don't get much chance to practice! Cool
ski holidays
Imagine the conversation with my boss 5 minutes ago:

AlTom: Hi, tomorrow I'll take the day off (No asking, only giving information....if you ask the answer can be bad......)
Boss: Ok, if your work can permitt it ok, no problem. Ah. Why?? Is it something bad or important???
AlTom: No bad....but important....yes
Boss: Can I know?
AlTom: Oh, yes.....only that it snowed a lot....more than 1,5m....
Boss: Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Really, are you saying that the day off is for skiing??? Are you crazy???
AlTom: Yes... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .I'm crazy to catch the waist deep tomorrow... snowHead snowHead snowHead
Boss:Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ShockedShocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Ok ok...I know more crazy skiers..nothing to do with you.......go and enjoy it
AlTom: Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
AlTom, Very Happy Toofy Grin Smile Madeye-Smiley Skullie Sad Blush Little Angel rolling eyes Puzzled wink Shocked Confused Cool snowHead Laughing Mad NehNeh Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Shock
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mountainbug, Hellooooo, Long time no speak. Hope all is well with you and the strangely named soup man. snowHead
ski holidays
IS THE PICTURE FROM PAS DE LAE CASA GENUINE,, I MEAN WAS IT TAKEN 2DAY?? Puzzled
snow conditions
Looks like Baqueira didn't do quite so well (30cm). The wind lifted much of the new away, but only half the lists open today.
latest report
What a difference a day makes. Resorts closed yesterday due to high winds but open today under blue skies. The crazy thing is that yesterdays severe wind (up to 100k gusts) actually removed snow from Superbagneres and though it looks a lot better today they are reporting only 10cm of fresh. Two valleys over at Peyragudes they have reported 60cm of new with great off piste.

Peyragudes orientation is perfect for keeping the snow where as the direction and power of the wind yesterday left the Cecire ridge bare and many of the side slopes thinner than they were 24 hours earlier.

I still managed to have a good days skiing though the skis will need some work tonight..................
latest report
good morning all

according to a mutitude of good reports it loks like there will be another 50cm in pas by Monday
cant wait till the 12th when i arrive Skullie
ski holidays
Ski Guide, yeah, the snow was very variable. We were struck by two big thunderstorms (weird and scary to be sitting on a chairlift while thunder and lightning are going off all around - anyone know what happens to you if you're on a lift when a pylon gets hit?)...which can be localised on one particular valley. The wind was a nightmare too - some of our aspects were scoured bare, while others are neck-deep in redeposited powder. We'll be watching out for avalanches on the lee-slopes for a few days until the snowpack stabilises.

Frosty the Snowman, hello! yes me and "in-garbure-we-trust aka soupman" are fine. Hoping to make it to the EOSB again this year - although will miss the first weekend as we have a wedding to go to (friends are so inconsiderate!).
ski holidays
Mountainbug wrote:
Ski Guide, yeah, the snow was very variable. We were struck by two big thunderstorms (weird and scary to be sitting on a chairlift while thunder and lightning are going off all around - anyone know what happens to you if you're on a lift when a pylon gets hit?)...which can be localised on one particular valley. The wind was a nightmare too - some of our aspects were scoured bare, while others are neck-deep in redeposited powder. We'll be watching out for avalanches on the lee-slopes for a few days until the snowpack stabilises.

Mountainbug. It was similar here though we only had the odd lightning strike. The snow that fell on Thursday night really transformed some of the wind sheared side slopes, and with snow this morning and more forecast for Tomorrow evening the conditions are going to be superb for a while yet.

The only problem for me is that due to bad timing (the snow that is) I will be too busy to ski as I will be at our town hall all day tomorrow for the Elections Municipal where I am honoured to be a member of l'equipe competing against our existing mayor.

Fortunately I will have a few days break before our next guests arrive to chill out and enjoy the deep stuff. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Just had two great days skiing the new snow in formigueres and Puyvalador (capcir) in glorious weather, now it's cloded over and is snowing again, it's been white out all afternoon. Yippeee.. roll on tomorrow morning
snow conditions
As it's said the wind affect too much the resorts, BUT, if you find the correcte place you could found nice snow and nice acumulations.

I skied fri-sat in Formigueres and despite there are some places "cleaned" due the wind, in "some" parts in the forest you can found this (I manage to measure 160cm of snow as I can put all my pole, 120cm, and my arm in the snow without touching the base.....but in other places you need to walk...."wind effect"):

And after admirate the beauty of the snowed forest..... action!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 9-03-08 23:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
And today I went to Andorra, because I thought that the bowl of La Coma in Ordino-Arcalís could held the snow from the wind and YES!!! What an amazing day!!!! The Creussans Chair, top of Arcalís at more than 2600m, was closed all these "storm" days until today!! So first lines for ALL!!!!
This lift serves only 1run, but the freeride potential of this area is nice. With a little hiking the area is perfect, with a lot of couloirs of different steepness.

The views from the ridge are nice....
View of the La Coma bowl:

Another from the same place, the bowl next one is also Arcalís, and also have nice couloirs.....There is one nice descent from the Top of L'Hortell (the rounded top in the front) mixing trees and couloirs beautiful, you arrive at the road...so walk or some car....

And looking down thinking which couloir take..

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 9-03-08 23:03; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
The lower part of creussans area, the run making turns and turns to descent this steep area..... couloirs in all sides:

Now after some laps only thinking in make first lines, without stopping and shitting in some idiots that don't have enough level and destroy a pair of couloirs......a photo to immortalize the moment!! (The traces in the left couloir in the photo are all ours!!Laughing Laughing because the people don't know the entrance and is a short traverse but exposed under and above rocks..perfect to keep it untouched) the snow was fabulous in N and E orientations, a little heavy in W, and totally transformed at the end of the day in S.

After that at the end of the day we found a little and narrow (about 4m) couloir but fully charged of snow and untouched.......the result was Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ski holidays
AlTom, what do you mean when you say a "couloir"? I've not heard the term before.

Excellent photos by the way Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy