Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chucked off the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it posslble to get thrown off the slopes?I ask this question because we are going skiing for the second time this year and last year we had one or two nasty moments with skiiers and boarders coming down the slopes totally out of control crashing into people with the potetial to cause serious injury.We were in Romania last year and with the help of very good instructors made good progress and are hoping to make further progress in Andorra this year.My wife got wiped out by a drunken yob on a snowboard luckily she wasnt badly hurt but it did make her nervous and she spent alot of time looking back.I understand that we are all there to have fun but should people who are dangerous to others either through drink or lack of ability be allowes to spoil other peoples holidays or even worse inflict serious damage?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've often wondered that mysefl!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes, you can have you lift pass removed from you.

Piste patrol and ski school have the authority to remove lift passes and there are cases. Not that i have ever experienced, but im sure someone on here can tell us of an experience.

It is normally done, when skiers are being irresponsible to the degree there going to put someones safety in jeproady. It is normally done when people act stupidly, not if they cause accidents like skiing a too difficult piste and wiping a load of people out.

If someone was drunk, im sure they would take their lift pass away.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would think it depends on the resort - have read in the past about irresponsible behaviour being grounds to be denied usage of the lifts.

I guess the only way it'll happen is if the slopes are well patrolled (or theres enough patrollers nearby for someone to grass them up to!). Can only see someone being chucked off if they're actually caugh in the act..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddyr i have heard of many instances of ski instructors, especially ESF demanding lift passes from irresponsible skiiers when caught in the act, . It isnt just piste patrol, but your right they would need to be caught in the act.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
here you get caught in a wildlife area and it's bye bye pass.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In North America people can (and do) lose their passes for skiing in "out of bounds" areas and for skiing fast/recklessly in "slow" skiing areas. The former is pretty well automatic, the latter often only results in a warning.

Of course in North america most people only buy one day passes, since the resorts often do not offer large savings for buying multi-day tickets, so it's no huge drama to lose your pass.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw a ski instructor get his pass' clipped' last season in Whistler. Apparently 3 strikes and you lose your pass. No pass no work Shocked He was stopped for supposedly skiing too fast in a 'family zone' .

I think the mountain guy had a chipped shoulder as Ben was from Serre Che. He could ski well but we werent going that fast wink Its just every time he looked over his shoulder we were still there Toofy Grin

They dont actually have to catch you in the act, if they see you they tend to radio ahead to another person who then stops you and takes action. failing to stp when requested results is lift pass removal so we were told - in Whistler anyway. Its their mountain so you plays by their rules rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The board at the bottom of Wizard Express said (at lunch time) that 7 people have lost lift pass rights for the season already. At the end of the day on Blackcomb there are a number of Mountain Safety guys by all of the SLOW signs on the main run down which everyone uses. I've seen a few during the days as well, so I presume they keep a look out throughout and then keep an eye on the busy run for people who think you can ski the same way on a packed run as you can on any empty one... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was always impressed by the numbers of ski-patrollers out in the US, who were not afraid to stop people and take passes. Pleased to see that over the last few years there seems to be an increasing number in France.

I suspect it is a fact that your drunken yob skiers are more likely to be found in the cheaper resorts such as Bulgaria etc?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK so this all starts to sound very negative much like the skiing gestapo - so to put it in perspective, has anyone here actually had theirs taken off them? (Be it a fair cop guv, or a misunderstanding?)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eddyr, nope...

but have seen ski patrol remove a pair of skis from owner (sent skis to bottom of resort for collection from ski patrol office)...

Have also seen patrol restrain a violent client(trying to take out ski instructor who had spoken to him re his on piste behaviour)

and the best.... saw the police called and arrive and ask for a skiers passport after he totalled a girl that patrol had to remove in bucket Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddyr wrote:
OK so this all starts to sound very negative much like the skiing gestapo - so to put it in perspective, has anyone here actually had theirs taken off them? (Be it a fair cop guv, or a misunderstanding?)

No but I have been told to slow down by patrollers on those busy run outs at Whistler and Snowbird.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
they gotta catch ya to stop ya, no mirrors and mp3 player........... they can see me at the bottom if i am still there
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting the difference between the US and Europe, Chamonix are set to have "ambassadors" I wonder if that will have any impact. Also important are the tactics required to avoid being hit, I often see skiers and boarders stopping in obvious blind spots on pistes and doing wide zig zags, although the overtaker always has the ultimate responsibility they really are accidents waiting to happen.
ski holidays
doghead,I don't know which resort in Andorra you will be in but in Soldeu there are "Ski hosts" who are frequently out on the pistes in the busy periods by the large slow signs, they will tell people to take care when it is crowded. They are employed by Grandvalira so probably have the authority to take away passes, however some are quite tasty young girls, not too sure how they would fare with a drunken skier.
latest report
Chucked off the Mont de la Chambre (Les Menuires, Meribel, VT mountain top junction)terrace a couple of times at Easter, with a nice 750m vertical ski home on empty pistes. Pure heaven.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Was always impressed by the numbers of ski-patrollers out in the US, who were not afraid to stop people and take passes. Pleased to see that over the last few years there seems to be an increasing number in France.

I suspect it is a fact that your drunken yob skiers are more likely to be found in the cheaper resorts such as Bulgaria etc?

What a snobby comment Boris and completely untrue.
snow report
I'm sure its been aired previously but IMO, the ones most likey to inflict harm on the pistes are the euros. Cocky French and Italian, T"!Ts who all think thy're Klammer, or Tomba etc. Give me a gun and let me at 'em Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

Thanks for that educated observation Boris. Please let us know how you have arrived at this assumption?
snow conditions
I used to know a brilliant skier who had discovered, on holiday to the US that there was a short cut through a wood to where he was staying. He had just gone off the piste to do this one day and a guy jumped out from behind a tree and said "You are out of bounds, I am going to take away your ski pass" to which he replied "OK just follow me down and I'll give it to you at the bottom". He then skied off into the trees and the ski patroller couldn't keep up and he lost him.
snow report
i lost my ticket at waterville in the states back in 99 for........ skiing too fast on a piste [which incidentally was netted and registered as the GS race piste for the resort] Puzzled Puzzled , the marketing director of the resort who i was skiing with also lost his ticket at the same time...but hey no problem ne went to the office and picked up 2 new tickets Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
CEM, Didn't know you could ski that fast. Was it Lunchtime Puzzled wink
ski holidays
Spyderman, f*&K off Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

when i was younger and fitter Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

some are quite tasty young girls, not too sure how they would fare with a drunken skier.

maybe some gallant lads would rally round to offer support....?
latest report
Spyderman, Laughing Laughing Laughing Probably just after lunch when gravity would be an even bigger friend Toofy Grin
snow report
jbob wrote:
...I often see skiers and boarders .......... doing wide zig zags, although the overtaker always has the ultimate responsibility, they really are accidents waiting to happen.

What's wrong with 'wide zig zags'? Not everyone can (or wants to) make short turns all the time.
latest report
Red Leon, I think one does need to be very alert when doing wide carving turns. Zigging when someone is Zagging can be a disaster.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:
Interesting the difference between the US and Europe, Chamonix are set to have "ambassadors" I wonder if that will have any impact. Also important are the tactics required to avoid being hit, I often see skiers and boarders stopping in obvious blind spots on pistes and doing wide zig zags, although the overtaker always has the ultimate responsibility they really are accidents waiting to happen.

I often board across the piste if I see a bit of powder or terrain I want to hit. Never understood the fascination of gettin down the mountain in the least amount of turns. You are right tho - Ive been hit more than a couple of times by people from behind whilst cruising wide turns and then told I was at fault Shocked I think this is more anger through the embarassment of falling on ones back bottom than anything else tho.
snow report
Cobra.. wrote:
Boris wrote:

Thanks for that educated observation Boris. Please let us know how you have arrived at this assumption?

To be fair, he has a small point. Who's willing to pay the extortionate prices for a drink in the alps? Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

OK so this all starts to sound very negative much like the skiing gestapo

Actually eddyr, I think it's responsible policing. Since both I and Mrs A have been wiped out by people riding/skiing too fast and out of control (and quite badly injured in my case - I hate to think what might have happened to me if I'd been a 6-year-old) I'm always happy to see the ski patrol ensuring that people don't ski recklessly.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
jbob wrote:
...I often see skiers and boarders .......... doing wide zig zags, although the overtaker always has the ultimate responsibility, they really are accidents waiting to happen.

What's wrong with 'wide zig zags'? Not everyone can (or wants to) make short turns all the time.

The danger is greatest on low angle pistes with rollers where most riders/skiers are traveling at high speed in a straight line, if you are traversing below one of the rollers ie in a blind spot, irrespective of who's at fault its just a question of time.
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
jbob wrote:

The danger is greatest on low angle pistes with rollers where most riders/skiers are traveling at high speed in a straight line, if you are traversing below one of the rollers ie in a blind spot, irrespective of who's at fault its just a question of time.

I know what you mean but the blame in such circumstances is always with the uphill skiier whose responsibility it is to avoid others
ski holidays
Dave Canski, Cobra.., wasn't intention to be snobby - but make a point that IME groups of lads who want to be doing a lot of drinking tend to go to cheaper resorts, particularly if they're skint, I know I did! Is there not some similarity here between Ibiza, where there is a reasonable amount of beer comnsumed and somewhere like Tuscany, where you're more likely to find families and older people and behaviour is a bit more refined.

I am not of course saying that everyone who goes to cheaper resorts is a drunken yob!
snow conditions
Red Leon, I totally agree where the blame lies.

My point was that others behavior is largely out of my control but there are tactics available that will help keep me out of hospital, whoever is responsible for the bill.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Dave Canski, Cobra.., wasn't intention to be snobby - but make a point that IME groups of lads who want to be doing a lot of drinking tend to go to cheaper resorts, particularly if they're skint, I know I did! Is there not some similarity here between Ibiza, where there is a reasonable amount of beer comnsumed and somewhere like Tuscany, where you're more likely to find families and older people and behaviour is a bit more refined.

I am not of course saying that everyone who goes to cheaper resorts is a drunken yob!

Boris my friend please please please read your posts before posting, Ibiza and Tuscany indeed !
Bansko (like Tuscany) is full of families but on ski holidays hardly any drunken louts in sight. There is a great atmosphere around the place in summer and in winter. I don't believe the tourists visit there because it is 'cheap' but because it is excellent value for money.

The skiing (although no where near as extensive) is as testing if not more testing than what I experienced on my last 2 visits to Val Thorens. Ok I admit that outside of Bulgaria I have only skied VT up to now but at least I can say I have been there, can fairly compare and not make ridiculous unfounded generalisations like yours.

The standard of accomodation in Bansko is far superior and far cheaper. People are out spending their money and enjoying themselves, it is very child friendly with plenty to offer the kids after skiing. Last season I met French skiers there who vow to return year after year to beat the ridiculous prices charged in France. They probably enjoy the atmosphere as well but I didn't see them misbehaving even when they realised they could get 5 half litre glasses of beer for the price of one at home.

As for the skidvd crew thats another matter but then again ski dvd is the only way to ski Very Happy
snow report
Yeah - BG is the best - bring it on!!! Can't wait til March - ooooh - so long to wait Sad Sad Sad

Razz Razz Razz Razz
latest report
Dave Canski wrote:

As for the skidvd crew thats another matter but then again ski dvd is the only way to ski Very Happy

Indeed!!!

Razz Razz
snow report
Boris, I seem to remember a certain Mr Blair travelled to Tuscany with a couple of drunken louts rolling eyes
latest report
Acacia, I absolutely agree that its a good thing as long as its responsibly dished out. Its just the post started to read (to me) like anything you do will end you up pass-less.

Luckily, only had minor bumps into people and never a full on crash (touches a large log)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy