Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skisimon's Demo Thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay, I'm currently in the hunt for some new skis, specifically the Volkl Tigersharks. Sensibly though, the guy in the only shop I could find them in, suggested I take up their offer of a demo service (pay a hire rate, try out whatever I want and then if I buy that cost will be knocked off the final price).

So, here are my thoughts from day one:

Volkl Tigershark 10FT (no power-switch) 168cm:
What an awesome pair of skis these were. Quick from edge-to-edge and, with enough power, had a super firm grip once they were on them (had quite a few moments when I got to look back and do a little fist pump upon seeing two perfect grooves behind me - feel good feeling or what!?). Nice and stable, handled everything I came across well (admittidly not much in the way of powder to test them in...) So good that I cheated my plan and had an extra run on them. Toofy Grin
*Interestingly, these are the only skis over 163cm that I've ever felt 'comfortable' on. Confused

Salomon X-Wing Fury 163cm:
I took these out next and had fun on these too. Not as quick or grippy (noticable around icy patches, which the Volkls dispatched with disdain), but still managed some nice grooves with a bit of extra focus on angulation. A bit wider than the Volkls, so would probably be slightly better 'all-round', but then again the Volkls are still wider than what I've got now, and I skied powder in them (rather unsuccessfully I admit...). Again these were quite good fun, and I skied until I was chucked off the lift. snowHead

Two or three more to come after today's skiing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And the two from yesterday:

Salomon X-Wing Tornado 162cm:
Okay, I had fun on these as well, but they were probably the worst of the skis I tried out. Very similar in performance to the Furies but without the advantage of a a bit more ski under the foot .

Rossignol X9 163cm:
These were a fantastic pair of skis. Very nearly as good as the Volkls. Good grip and quick to get it, but not quite as solid as the Volkls when really gunning it. Another pair that I got a little carried away on and almost got back too late to blast one last run on the Volkls to refresh my memory.

So, what did I buy? It was a tough decision. I went for the Volkl Tigershark 10FT over the Rossignols, the two main points the Volkls had against them were that they were heavier than the Rossignols and longer. But their performance for me was just a little bit better - essentially, believe the hype, even without the power-switch these are an awesome pair of skis! If I could, I'd buy the Rossignols as well. But I can't. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, been enjoying your new skiis? Did you sack off the gatebusters thing so you could ride pow today instead?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hels_t, yes I did sack it off, too much snow for gates! Although I did do a SuperGroup session this afternoon which was good fun.

Skis are awesome!!! snowHead They grip onto anything and (being bigger than my last pair) are better in pow than I'm used to. Had one of the instructors up at the Rendezvous admiring them! Laughing (I double checked the bases after that dodgy sounding tree skiing - not a mark thankfully...)

So there you have it everyone. Sod everything else, buy a pair of Volkl Tigersharks! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy