Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Emotional threshold for speed?

Poster: A snowHead
Two instructors this season have questioned my willingness to go quickly on skis (last week I was told I had a low emotional threshold for speed, which was a bit crushing!). I think what they mean is that I have the technique to go quicker than I do without loosing control, but back off when I start to go very quickly. How to resolve this? Are there any ways of changing that kind of deep-seated mindset? Has anyone else made step-changes in their confidence levels for skiing quickly?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Is now the time in your life to expand out of your comfort speed zone?. I that what you want?.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, speed is relative. I'm a snail next to Bode Miller but my wife says I now go like a Bat out of Hell (comparing to my Bambi-esque first week). I always stay within comfort zone, just that good instruction has given me a large zone Wink

I think your instructors simply need to provide more encouragement.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, blinkers? a blindfold? 1/2 a bottle of Glenmorangie?

I don't have a sensible suggestion but I do know that I can ski the Inferno course the day after a heck of a lot faster than I do during the race Puzzled and it has been commented that my times in general are not what you'd expect if you just watched me free skiing... Puzzled Puzzled Crying or Very sad
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, I got faster skiing with faster, better, older kids when I was younger. Maybe you need to find someone faster to ski around with ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, Is now the time in your life to expand out of your comfort speed zone?. I that what you want?.

What they seemed to be saying is that I'm reluctant to reach the limit of my comfort zone (if you assume that my comfort zone is my technical control rather than my happiness with travelling at speed).

I agree with TallTone that speed is relative, but I think this is a general principle that applies to most skiers, at all levels. Is it fear of speed that holds us back, or lack of control? What my instructors said to me in recent weeks has pointed to it being fear of speed for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian wrote:
rob@rar, I got faster skiing with faster, better, older kids when I was younger. Maybe you need to find someone faster to ski around with ?

That's a good point - I skied with some quick people in Tignes last month and it upped my speed a bit, but that was one of the week's when my instructor questioned my confidence with speed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
or find a slower instructor.. . Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a wimp and am not particularly concerned that I don't ski fast enough. But one thing I have noticed is that I tend to ski a bit faster when dissasociated a bit more from my environment, wearing goggles seem to make me go faster and wearing a helmet possibly would. Maybe body armour would help?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This from someone with 4 weeks skiing - so discard it at will, but as a relative beginner my lack of speed is due to my lack of faith in my stopping/remedial ability when going faster. I guess if you have faith in your stopping/ability to remedy at that 'nearly lost it' moment, you will have the confidence to go faster.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Why do you want to ski faster? Do you need to ski faster in order to master a particular technique? I would much rather be in control and ski slower.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i skied with martin bell in Breckenridge - now there's a bloke who skis fast !!! he was at the bottom and we were still putitng our hands in our pole straps !!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand, I like going quick when conditions allow, or at least I thought I did! The point that was made to me was that I have the control to go more quickly than I do. Both instructors were trying to get better performance out of me and independently they said that I could/should ski quicker without loosing control, both asking if I was aware of backing off when things got a bit quick. I think this kind of encouragement is made to a number of skiers at all levels of performance when they only lack confidence to go a bit more quickly, rather than lacking technique to control their speed and line.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the same issue off piste, I think it's a mental thing, mine isn't helped by shattering my femur whilst in a tuck and cutting the corner of a track....

I guess all I'm doing is when I feel comfortable off piste, ie on a relatively wide shallow slope I'm trying to ski faster than I would normally, and taking it from there...

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
backhojo wrote:
i skied with martin bell in Breckenridge - now there's a bloke who skis fast !!! he was at the bottom and we were still putitng our hands in our pole straps !!!

Laughing I once shared a chairlift with Jean-Luc Crétier, winner of the Men's Downhill at the Nagano Olympics. I thought I'd try and keep up with him for a bit as he skied away from the chair. I was quite pleased to be skiing fairly close to him after a couple of hundred meters until I realised that although I was skiing at my limit he was bending over doing the clips up on his boots!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
rob@rar, I reckon building up incrementally is the way to go rather than a step change. You must have tons of fast wide pistes in Les Arcs, why not go let yourself go a little quicker over initially a short section and gradually build up the size of the "fast" section ?

btw, losing is spelled "losing" ! Other than "Courcheval" (aaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh) it's my top pedantry hate. There, I feel better now, back in my comfort zone. Carry on. Embarassed
latest report
If you dont fall you are not trying hard enough! Buy some body armour a helmet grow some cahonas Very Happy and go for it! Speed is fun, But you have to be withing what makes you comfortable ask youself what you want to achieve and is speed needed to achive that? The only problem is mountains seem smaller when you go quicker!
snow report
brian, thanks, that's one of my blind spots, although I get Courchevel right every time Smile
snow conditions
Are you a man or a mouse?

Just point your skis downhill and let rip.

Find a public speedtrap with a digital scoreboard. This will quantify exactly how slow you are.

Then spend a day ragging up and down the speedtrap. Run by run, you will get faster and braver.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:
Find a public speedtrap with a digital scoreboard. This will quantify exactly how slow you are.

Flying K or GS?
latest report
rob@rar, do you wear a helmet?
snow report
CEM wrote:
rob@rar, do you wear a helmet?

Yes, most of the time.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Flying K or GS?

Just a short, steep one of a hundred meters or so will do it.

You should be able to get well over 100kmh.

They seem to be more commonplace in Switzerland than France.
ski holidays
On the other hand, if you're happy with the speed you're doing, why go faster? Skiing's about enjoying yourself, not trying to break the world landspeed record. If you do actually want to go faster, then I'd go with the advice to build up your speed tolerance gradually by going faster on easy patches. (I had a similar thing in France with the instructor constantly telling me that my technique was fine, which was all very lovely but didn't address the main issue at all which was that I had no confidence. The thing that got me past that was having another instructor who thought skiing was about having fun, and not trying to contantly push the boundaries. Surprise, surprise, my speed picked up no end as I bounced merrily along behind him without having to worry about whatever was coming up next on the piste. I was also dropped down into a lower group where I was by far the best skier, which did my confidence no end of good as well.)
snow report
Quote:

Then spend a day ragging up and down the speedtrap. Run by run, you will get faster and braver.

That would be similar to my advice, whenever I learn anything new, I pick a shortish run I'm comfortable on and just keep doing it over and over until it feels easy.. then move on and try to recreate the 'easy' feeling on less familiar territory.

I remember thinking I was going quite fast and doing rather well in my 2nd week skiing when I was overtaken by an instructor with a bunch of 'knee-highs'.... skiing backwards and chatting on his mobile phone.... Embarassed
snow conditions
rob@rar, maybe find a downhill course with a steep finish and a good run out and practice "letting" go from further and further up the hill. It worked for me! snowHead
ski holidays
rob@rar, Pay your money hire the skis and give the KL a blast, everything you ever do after that is slow, believe me. wink
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, Pay your money hire the skis and give the KL a blast, everything you ever do after that is slow, believe me. wink

I was going to give it a go at the end of last season but the day I was in Les Arcs it was closed (I think there had been a fatality on it the previous day Sad). Hopefully this seaon I'll try it. What skis did you use?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I ski a fair bit slower on a normal piste than I do on a race course. Even if there are other race lanes alongside the one I am using, I feel much more confident that other racers will act predictably than I do the rest of the time.
snow conditions
I'm a fairly quick skier (relative to my ability- not necessarily a good combo). IMost of the time I prefer to be in control as oppsed to skiing on the edge. My firends I ski with tend to ski on the edge most of the time. I tend to have a day just letting go just to let them know I can, but not sure that's how I want to ski all the time. Slightly different if you are doing race training.)
latest report
rob@rar, I went to the office in Arc 2000, hired 225cm's, DH Suit, booked a slot, bit of tuition and off I went. 131KPH. YeeHaa. It was years ago, don't know what the deal is now.
The very top was closed, but to go from there you've got to be mental anyway. DH boards and DH suit is a lot safer than KL gear, at least the skis will turn and you'll stop if you fall.
ski holidays
rob@rar, on the first day of the course I was asked exactly the same thing Shocked - pretty much the first time that's ever happened to me too. In my case it was not being comfortable with my equipment in the conditions at the time. A few times I was backing off where I probably shouldn't have, and that's generally when I start thinking about the consequences and likelihood of making a mistake at that speed. A rather distubing trait in the last year or so though is the rapidity with which my legs now pack up - fine one turn and the next it's getting a bit iffy and I have to plan a pretty quick slow down before it all goes pearshaped big-time. Unfortunately, I think this is a touch of anno domini, so make sure you make hay now before you catch me up.

More generally body armour, and possibly higher binding settings (to avoid popping out when you shouldn't - as you ski harder pre-releases get a lot more common) help. Other than that, a few good falls to show you actually can do so without hurting yourself - something I seem to practice rather more than maybe I should Embarassed Laughing .
latest report
Spyderman, nice. I've not skied anything quicker than GS skis. Giving DH boards a go would be 'educational'. I'd probably give the catsuit a miss though, as it's not a pretty sight Smile

rjs, I think I ski a bit quicker outside gates, although only if the piste is clear enough to give me confidence that there's be no collisions even if I got things badly wrong. I've had a couple of close shaves on the very narrow training lanes on the Grand Motte. That's often on my mind in the start gate Sad
latest report
GrahamN, interesting. I was hoping it was an Emma thing, given where her emotional threshold is, but it was also said to me last week (fortunately not when snowploughing Wink), so it's got me wondering. It's definitely a subconscious thing with me as I'm not aware of scrubbing off speed, and I don't think it's a technique thing either. So maybe it is natural caution of age (although I ski much faster now than I did when I was young and stupid). I do up my bindings a point or two when GSing, but no body armour as yet other than padding in my catsuit or slalom vest. Maybe a spine protector or similar would help with the demons in my head who seem to take over from time to time?
latest report
rob@rar, The thing that was the scariest on the KL was not the speed, it was the accelleration. 130 came up in about 5 seconds. Shocked It's like someone pushing very hard on your back, then you start to get tunnel vision and I started to notice the tiniest bit of snow out of place, then the ski tips started to lift and sway gently from side to side. Then I needed to change underwear.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
other than padding in my catsuit or slalom vest
and I thought that was just to impress the gappies Wink .
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
other than padding in my catsuit or slalom vest
and I thought that was just to impress the gappies Wink .

Cheeky! Smile
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
It's like someone pushing very hard on your back, then you start to get tunnel vision and I started to notice the tiniest bit of snow out of place, then the ski tips started to lift and sway gently from side to side. Then I needed to change underwear.

Sounds, um, exciting!
snow report
rob@rar, I also find that I am much less aware of speed when skiing in my catsuit, even with shorts & softshell top over it, than I am in a normal suit.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
It's like someone pushing very hard on your back, then you start to get tunnel vision and I started to notice the tiniest bit of snow out of place, then the ski tips started to lift and sway gently from side to side. Then I needed to change underwear.

Sounds, um, exciting!

Go on, you know you want to. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy