Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using Ski's on dry slope and snow???

Poster: A snowHead
I have just bought a pair of ski's and want to get some practice in before I go away on holiday. Since I am from the UK there is loads of dry slopes near me.

Is it ok to use my ski's on the dry slope (will it damage them?) then take them with me when I go away on my ski trip next year????
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
14N-FR, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I wouldn't use my own skis on a dry slope, as the surface isn't very good for your ski bases.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
14N-FR, welcome to snowHead
My advice would be to avoid taking your nice new skis onto plastic matting. If you want to try them out, go to one of the indoor snow slopes located around the country.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thankyou both for the advice. Does the plastic matting really wreck the base of them even if they are waxed well?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
14N-FR, by the time you're making your second turn, most of the wax will be off them, I'd suspect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
14N-FR wrote:
the plastic matting really does wreck the base of them

Indeed it does. Wait until you've trashed your new shiny skis on snow before recycling them on plastic. If you can't wait to test them out do it in a snowdome.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Put some really hard wax on them, e.g. CH4 or similar and they should be fine if the slope is wet, has a good sprinkler system or it is cold. I find that they last a good six months of 4 hours per week race training with sharpening and waxing every week.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd agree with iblair but do make sure it's very hard wax you put on them, Data do some excellent dry slope waxes IMHO.

The thing to watch out for though is bits of the metal hooks (or whatever they are) that bind the mats together sticking up and stones in the matting, that'll do more damage than anything else in my experience.

Best of luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ditto iblair, with hard wax, and misting you won't come to much harm snowHead . If you skid your skis much you will blunt your edges though Sad . As it goes, I'm not taking my 'good' plastic skis away to avoid damaging them on snow.. you'll do far more damage in a week on December than in an hour on plastic.

If you can't be bothered to wax, Zardoz will work for a few runs. snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-12-07 11:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My three words would be don't do it... unless you are happy (and able) to do plenty of maintainence on them (to protect them as much as keep the performance up).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
( . As it goes, I'm not taking my 'good' plastic skis away to avoid damaging them on snow.. you'll do far more damage in a week on December than in an hour on plastic.
I suspect ski means the rocks hiding under the snow, rather than the snow!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually, my true advice is just don't go anywhere near a dry-slope at all... but then again, some people do like them (for some un-earthly reason that I have still yeat to fathom).

Of the two I have tried:
-Never, ever, ever, waste your money at Plymouth's dry-slope. I would rather spend fifteen quid on a bag of natural fertilizer and then sit down to eat it...
-Gloucester's a lot better, but quite slow. roga, will however have more up-to-date info on the state of it as I haven't been there for about three years or so.

Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, Good point snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use mine regularly at the Norwich slope, which is very well misted, and at this damp time of the year there is no problem. They do need sharpening and waxing after every 4/5 hours at least though to protect them, and the wax needs to be something like the Datawax Polar X. If you want best performance wax them before every session, you can really tell the difference.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
14N-FR, I agree with ski - I have skis for plastic and skis for snow and never the twain. The damage patterns are quite different for the two - plastic polishes off base structure that your snow skis will need, and burning will "channel" the edges, but PTEX will NOT stay in on a dry slope so rock strikes are a bit of a death knell for "plastic" skis.

If you want to get general skiing practice I'd suggest going along to the dry slope and using their skis - they'll be fairly rubbish but still give you practice time. The feel of plastic and real snow is sufficiently different that, while plastic's great for technique development and refresher practice, I doubt any specific "feel" experience on your own skis would be particularly transferable anyway.
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
Actually, my true advice is just don't go anywhere near a dry-slope at all... but then again, some people do like them (for some un-earthly reason that I have still yeat to fathom).

Of the two I have tried:
-Never, ever, ever, waste your money at Plymouth's dry-slope. I would rather spend fifteen quid on a bag of natural fertilizer and then sit down to eat it...
-Gloucester's a lot better, but quite slow. roga, will however have more up-to-date info on the state of it as I haven't been there for about three years or so.

Very Happy

Just out of interest what is particularly bad about Plymouth's slope compared to others? I ask that because Plymouth is the only dry slope I have been down properly other than High Wycombe a very long time ago which I can't really remember. Is it because they don't seem to water it and that there are occasional patches where the surface is coming up? Or is it because the rental skis don't have much performance?
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:

LOL, practice basically, they're great to practice and improve on (with coaching) but they are less forgiving than snow and if I had a simple choice between a big snowy mountain and a small plastic slope I'd go for the former every time. However I don't always have that choice but I can keep my hand in on plastic in between times and I know I've improved significantly as a result.

I have to admit it's a bit horrible getting used to it again after a stint in the mountains though!
Quote:

Weeeeel, tonight isn't the best time to ask me that because I've come home after a few hours of training with a dent in the base of my lovely new dry slope skis - first time it's ever happened and it had to be a pretty new pair of skis but I'd guess I hit a stone in the matting at speed at some point - I recall a nasty noise that made me wonder whether I'd done damage. It's not pretty and it's not clever and I'll have to spend some time literally ironing it out! Ptex is a non starter 'coz it's ripped out by the friction with the mating very quickly so if I cant iron it flat I'll have to use the only thing I've found will stay in - superglue mixed with base filings! Shocked

Other than that though the slope is cool, particularly at this time of year in the evening when you get a nice frost... rather like tonight actually Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skisimon, What's wrong with the Plymouth dry slope? I've never been to it, but it is my nearest one.
snow conditions
One raised mat or hook will take a massive chunk out of your skis! Any wax will be of your skis after about 10 seconds! Just wait till you get to the snow! Happy skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
Ordhan wrote:
One raised mat or hook will take a massive chunk out of your skis!

Yup, that's why it's a good idea to use a slope that's decently maintained - at Gloucester you have to watch the tow uptracks because they don't look after them as well as the main slopes for some reason - I've had a few minor scratches on my skis as a result but nothing major. In fact the worse damage I've done in the last year or so was in Val d'Isere last April when I went over some loose stones that were mixed in with melting snow at the bottom of La Daille!
Quote:
Any wax will be of your skis after about 10 seconds!

Not true if you use wax formulated for dry, like the Data stuff - a good layer of that when it's cold and/or the sprinklers are on will last you a session.
Quote:
Just wait till you get to the snow!

Why when you can have the best of both worlds?
Quote:
Happy skiing Very Happy

I'm with you there and I'll be doing it on snow without the aches and pains and first/second day 'getting back into it' problems anyone who hasn't skied regularly since last season will have Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy