Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cancel or go solo ??

Poster: A snowHead
For reasons beyond my control the person who I was supposed to be going skiing with next year has just announced due to other commitments they aint going rolling eyes

Anyway this leaves me with a couple of options and being so indecisive I would really appreciate your help marvellous snow heads Very Happy

I have a flight booked to Jackson Hole in Feb for 18/19 days so I am left with a couple of options

1. Go alone - I am quite happy in my own company but this would be a long time ?

2. Just dont go anywhere and loose my money on the flight its non refundable

3. Go alone and do a bit of a backpacking tour of the usa or something ? ideas for places to visit appreciated?

4. Sell my new arcteryx side winder jacket and pants on ebay give up skiing and go and study yoga in the himalayas !

your advice please Smile thankyou xx

ps just for the stats I am a 34 yr old female
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Option 1.
Bound to bump into someone you can ski/have a beer with
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen LS, you missed option 5 - Change name on any tickets and take friend / family / snowhead* wink

* delete as appropriate
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen LS, If only I were younger. rolling eyes It's got to be number one. You are never alone when you ski and you will meet lots of interesting people plus I'm sure you will find loads of people on here willing to accompany you. Very Happy Good luck, just go for it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen LS, option 1. And post on TGR & Epic - you'll have friends to ski with!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen LS, A friend of mine has often gone to USA skiing on her own. She makes use of her membership of the SCGB by skiing with the ski club reps. This way she gets to know the resort and meet people- she always has a great time. So go for option 1!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go alone Helen LS, I've been going skiing on my own for 6 years now and have always met other people, in fact, this last year I saw a load of people who I had met last year in Banff, even the Inghams rep was the same person! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't believe that Jerry hasn't posted something here yet!!1
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely option 1.....or kristof's option 5 snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arlberg, He's still working out if 'Helen' is male or female Toofy Grin

Helen LS, Options 2 and 4 seem rather drastic ... and option 5 is even better, loads of single ladies on here who would undoubtedly jump at the opportunity and option 1 has to be a viable fall-back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Option 1 or 3 for sure. I used to travel alone for years. You always meet people and have a great time anyway. All part of the big adventure.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Option 5 has to be the best, surely.
So many solo skiers have found themselves a ski buddy (or 6) on snowHeads, it's definitely worth a shot.
OK, so 18 days in Jackson Hole is quite a trip so it wouldn't suit everyone's tastes/circumstances but I'd definitely be up for it... if I was a girl and had the money and the free time and didn't have too many people to ski with already Wink

Option 1 has to come a very close second though. When U travel alone, U just can't help meeting people. I've done the single skier bit often in the past and met loads of people every time - far more than when I've travelled in company. Unless you're a totally antisocial nutter, it's inevitable. Could even be the best thing u ever do snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Ditto!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have a flight booked to Jackson Hole in Feb for 18/19 days

Which part of Feb?

Epic Gathering in Utah is first weekend of Feb. A bit of a drive to get down there though (~6 hrs?)...

No matter what else you do, take a tour of Yellowstone.

Cancel? You must be nuts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow thanks for all your suuport fellow snowheads !

My flight leaves the uk on the 4th february and it comes back on the thursday just over 2 weeks later .............

changing the name on the other flight ticket isnt a option as it doesnt exist ..............

Maybe I need to go and brave the world of epic ? i was already planning on doing the steep and deep course in Jackson which is 4 days and getting my experience up I just dont like skiing the steeper stuff alone !

So if anyone fancies meeting up in Jackson for a couple of my eighteen days it would be appreciated snowHead snowHead

Thanks again x
latest report
Helen LS, have I got this right? You had booked a flight to Jackson Hole, but your friend - who you thought was going with you - had not?
Not quite what I would call commitment. Confused
So there is no ticket going spare for an eager snowhead tempted by the irresistable combination of Jackson Hole and a Helen?
(I presume LS stands for Launched a thousand Ships Very Happy )
snow report
Option 1 Laughing
ski holidays
Ha ha to the LS !!

No she had booked the flight the airline changed it and she got a refund a few weeks ago and was going to rebook ........ she even sent me a email about hotels yesterday Shock and then I got up this afternoon ( I am on nights and have only had a couple of hours sleep !) and found that message waiting for me very nicely put and the offer of a compromise of 10 days in chamonix ...............

So there is no spare ticket unfortunately and tbh I am not sure what I am going to do with mine I really need a holiday but I was never that sure about JH it was the friends choice really ............... rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Go alone.

If you're fit, you might get a sugardaddy.

JH is tiny, but there should be enough to keep you amused for a coupla weeks, both on- and off-piste.
ski holidays
Whitegold, LOL which type of fit do you mean ??
snow report
Helen LS, do you have a pulse? If yes, then you're probably fit enough for the JH guys.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, you're a smooth talker! Wink
snow report
Helen LS, When we went to Fernie a couple of years ago, there were (free) ski hosts on the mountain. The hosts took us around the best places on the mountain for a couple of hours in the morning and another couple in the afternoon. If JH has them you could make a start with them and then pal up with others who may be in the same situation as you. Be brave and go for it!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, of course I have a pulse although some people question it at times Laughing (its resting at about 42 !)

I still am unsure about cutting my losses maybe trying to get my taxes back off my flight and going somewhere else have double checked my ticket and it is non refundable non transferable and non anything ....................

I went to NYC by myself the other year after going to peru bymyself but on a group tour etc etc ...........

maybe I need to start looking for the cheapest possible lodging detail !
latest report
Quote:

Maybe I need to go and brave the world of epic ?

Or you can post in theskidiva.com, but you won't find any sugardaddy there...
ski holidays
abc,

Good idea abc thanks I mayjust go and sign up but for the moment body combat is calling me as I need to release my aggression theres only eight weeks left to get even fitter !!
ski holidays
Just Go
ski holidays
Helen LS, Just being nosy - can't resist - used to be a travel agent. How come your "friend" was offered a refund and you weren't? Which airline is it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS, post a pic and we'll tell you whether to go alone or not... wink
ski holidays
Helen LS, Would second theskidiva forum. Post on there and you'll get loads of like minded buddies.

Go for it, you can obviously hack travelling alone, it will be a great experience.

Would concur with Kitty, use the ski hosts to ski with and I'm sure you won't be short of company.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Maybe Helen's not into posting the sort of pics she'd have to post on TGR to get firends wink

Seriously though you'll find a crew of people on your steep & deep course, and locals are likely to go for a few laps with you if you look like you're a fun person.
snow report
Jo66, Friend had booked different airline different route I dunno she told me the other week they had cancelled changed the itinary so she got a refund and was going to re book when she got paid ! I dont really want to go into that side of things but I have a ticket its just whether I use it or not Wink

fatbob, ok I have to ask what is TGR I dont think I have seen that one ??

Oh I am never fun totally dull and a absolute minger too Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
slikedges,

ha ha

I was going to say.... this thread is useless without a pic...
but in all seriousness, if you are up for meeting people, then pick a place and just put yourself about as it were... The yanks are pretty social anyway....

Sometimes...companions can get in the way, be open and up for anything....

Hold back there... I am still talking skiing .....!!! Laughing
snow report
Go!

I'm 35 and if it was me I would go for the adventure!
Amercian resorts usually have ski hosts who are really interesting and take you for a tour over the mountain which would be a bit of company.

Go for it - enjoy it - and take some pics for us!
snow conditions
I don't see what you've got to lose if you go. Whereas if you don't go you lose the cost of your flight.
You're may well meet up with someone when you get there or even on the flight.
snow conditions
Helen LS wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, of course I have a pulse although some people question it at times Laughing (its resting at about 42 !)

I still am unsure about cutting my losses maybe trying to get my taxes back off my flight and going somewhere else have double checked my ticket and it is non refundable non transferable and non anything ....................

I went to NYC by myself the other year after going to peru bymyself but on a group tour etc etc ...........

maybe I need to start looking for the cheapest possible lodging detail !

You sound fit.

But stop being so wet.

JH is one of the world's best resorts.

Just book it and go.
snow conditions
One night in the Moose bar after skiing and you'll know plenty of riders, and possibly catch some great music.
ski holidays
get yourself gone you will have a great time snowHead
snow report
TGR is a ski& board forum (run by the Teton Gravity Research ski film co) mainly based in the US. Different atmosphere than here - great fun if you can take the bad with the good. Some great skiers there, as well as a lot of weird people.

If you post there mentioning that you're a woman, it will elicit immediate enthusiasm and many requests of "nekkid pics". If you weather the storm, you might find some good friends of both sexes.
latest report
Wow the consensus really is that I should go I have 8 weeks left then to get even fitter Smile
and find some cheap lodging ..............

thankyou everyone for being so supportive ! xx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy