Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Supposed video of bad skiing

Poster: A snowHead
OK. Here we go.

I was browsing another forum (not EpicSki) - and came across these comments:

Quote:
I saw that video a few weeks ago after it was posted on a different (primarily Euro) forum. Unfortunately Britain has never been known for their skiing prowess so I suspect that the skiing in this video reflects that. I will admit that when I first saw the video I had a good laugh at the expense of those in the clips. Many do not have the same standards for skiing that are present here (as well as in most racing circles).

and

Quote:
My mistake - this may be a different video then, or the person who directed me to it was incorrect about where it originated from. I saw one a few weeks ago that was supposedly done by a group of British ski instructors (was posted at a forum called snowheads). Someone directed me to it so I could see how bad it was. I somehow thought that this was the same one. It may be that the person who directed me to it was incorrect about where it originated. Regardless of where it is from it is still poor skiing.

I am now intrigued and curious to look at these videos for myself, but can't recall any with the description as above. The only thing I can think of is a Warren Smith video, or maybe some of the SCGB vids? But I don't recall those being posted on here?

Can anyone help point me in the direction of the so called bad skiing video, of a group of British Ski Instructors?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea. Interski perhaps (is the Korean video available yet?), although I'd be surprised if there was a significant difference in performance from the UK team to any other nation.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, Could you not post on the forum and ask?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, I have REAL good idea what forum it might have been on.
As T-bar says - post and ask! (or if the user who posted it posts here or on Epic, why not PM them?)
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, I can harbly think what you might be alluding to ? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, good catch!

veeeight, PM Greg on Epic, he'll let you know where he saw it!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Could be this thread ?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32261

Danes? Brits? whatever, they're all bacon munching godless liberals after all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not registered on that particular forum (not good enough), I was just intrigued to watch those videos for myself.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ I think it must be that thread yeah.

Some of the Yanks seem to be getting confused between Britain and Denmark... mind you can't say I'm that surprised Laughing Twisted Evil Wink

Seriously though it's an interesting point about the standard of Brit skiers, is this how we're generally seen?

I can see their point given most skiers from over here ski for a week a year and after they get to a low(ish) intermediate stage tend to never take any more lessons or do coaching sessions.

Should we lump all Brits together or is it different in Scotland - I recall in my youth, when I lived near Cairngorm and skied there regularly, that there were quite a few accomplished local Scottish skiers around but I'm not sure that's so apparent these days - whaddya reckon Brian?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, there's a big difference between what that forum says, and what most others say. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What a patronising bunch of so and so's! They really are up themselves aren't they rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you really want a video of bad skiing, maybe we should dig up that thread of mine...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, He's posted on snowHeads too. We're not worthy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, He's posted on snowHeads too. We're not worthy.
Indeed we're not. Should I retire now, or make it through until the end of the season before creating a bonfire from my skis?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Harald? Really?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
roga, there's a big difference between what that forum says, and what most others say. snowHead

Are you suggesting that the members of that forum are a trice up themselves then or that the others are just being polite? Little Angel Laughing
snow report
I'd have thought it was the Danish stuff if anything and I wouldn't worry about the experts. On the one occasion I strayed on there I thought I'd come across the very definition of humourless, self-obsessed onanists.

I think Brit skiers might have a poor general reputation in the US because either many don't come across them so assume that they don't ski like they do and when they do make the hop over the pond to a Euro resort they are swamped with Brit punters of variable ability. Remember lots of keen US skiers ski every weekend v 2 or 3 weeks at best for most Brits.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Spyderman, Harald? Really?

No, the posts mentioned aren't by him. Puzzled
latest report
fatbob, Most Americans don't know where the UK is on a map, never mind Denmark. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brits may not be the worlds greatest, but the Yanks have got Texans and that does our average no harm at all. Oddly the single worst skier (no discernible talent, potential, improvement over a week or brain) I ever saw in my life was a Canadian from BC. So it goes rolling eyes no helping some people.
latest report
roga wrote:

Seriously though it's an interesting point about the standard of Brit skiers, is this how we're generally seen?

Well...... Twisted Evil

The instructions I was given re skiing in Europe were very clear.... and issued by instructors of many seasons experience teaching around the world...

So no... I'd say you are actually seen as much worse than that... but then we all know I know nada because I choose to take lessons and learn... Razz
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga wrote:

No.

FirstSwede wrote:
They're stopping the lift

2ndSwede wrote:
Again?

BothSwedeslookingateachother wrote:
Brits! rolling eyes
snow report
little tiger, is that meant to be a provocative comment, or am I reading it wrong?
latest report
 brian
brian
little tiger wrote:
... but then we all know I know nada because I choose to take lessons and learn...

Oh for pete's sake, grow up.
latest report
rob@rar, of course not! Stop picking on her!
latest report
Well, I see I'm famous. A PM would have been thoughtful, but since we're airing dirty laundry, lets get to it. When I first was pointed to that video clip I was told it was British (apparently it is danish?)... Regardless it still isn't good carving - sorry. As far as Britain not known for its skiing prowess - it isn't - sorry again. Look at a WC podium sometime (or any other skiing competition for that matter). A country like Austria for example IS known for it's skiing prowess... See the contrast? Now that we are on the same page is anyone interested in learning why it isn't good carving or would you rather continue on uninterrupted? My apologies for the bruised egos.
Puzzled
Have fun kids.
Later
Greg
ski holidays
HeluvaSkier, it seemed to me that you and others in that thread were criticising a much wider range of skiers than WC skiers of various nationalities who do/do not reach podium positions. It seemed fairly sweeping criticism of the most snide kind. Is it reasonable to criticise national ski instruction systems or even recreational skiers based on the performance of their elite athletes?
latest report
HeluvaSkier wrote:
Now that we are on the same page is anyone interested in learning why it isn't good carving or would you rather continue on uninterrupted? My apologies for the bruised egos.

If you can be bothered to follow the link to the relevant snowHeads thread posted above you will find that those carving videos have already been criticised here by a number of people.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
HeluvaSkier wrote:
Now that we are on the same page is anyone interested in learning why it isn't good carving or would you rather continue on uninterrupted? My apologies for the bruised egos.

If you can be bothered to follow the link to the relevant snowHeads thread posted above you will find that those carving videos have already been criticised here by a number of people.

Then why is it such a big deal that I criticized them? rolling eyes
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
roga wrote:

No.

FirstSwede wrote:
They're stopping the lift

2ndSwede wrote:
Again?

BothSwedeslookingateachother wrote:
Brits! rolling eyes

LOL, that's conclusive then Wink
HeluvaSkier wrote:
Well, I see I'm famous. A PM would have been thoughtful, but since we're airing dirty laundry, lets get to it. When I first was pointed to that video clip I was told it was British (apparently it is danish?)... Regardless it still isn't good carving - sorry.

Eeeerm, there was already a thread here where everyone came to the same conclusion - you have a different POV or are you trying to argue with people who agree with you? Puzzled
Quote:
As far as Britain not known for its skiing prowess - it isn't - sorry again.

S'allright we have the capacity to take criticism and disagreement (and loosing) on the chin without starting minor (or major) 'skirmishes' (at least those of us who aren't England football fans Laughing ) Toofy Grin
Quote:
Look at a WC podium sometime (or any other skiing competition for that matter). A country like Austria for example IS known for it's skiing prowess... See the contrast?

Absolutely and we're cr*p at many sports it has to be said and even when we do get medals drugged up North American Vicks sinuses do us out of 'em - it's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Speaking of medals lost, just so we can get this straight, you dissing the Scots as part of the rubbish at skiing Brits thing?
Quote:
Now that we are on the same page is anyone interested in learning why it isn't good carving or would you rather continue on uninterrupted?

We've done that though or do you have something particularly novel to add?
Quote:
My apologies for the bruised egos.

Where, are we all included in the generalisation as well then, BASI instructors et al?

And there's me thinking us Snowheads were exempt form your slings and arrows... Razz
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
HeluvaSkier, it seemed to me that you and others in that thread were criticising a much wider range of skiers than WC skiers of various nationalities who do/do not reach podium positions. It seemed fairly sweeping criticism of the most snide kind. Is it reasonable to criticise national ski instruction systems or even recreational skiers based on the performance of their elite athletes?

I was commenting by the performance of the skiing displayed in the videos and aligning it with the performance of the WC athletes... When was the last time that you saw Britain regarded as a ski technique think-tank? It is reasonable to criticize the systems when you are clearly given examples of those who are "the six best instructors" from nation X and they are clearly all very poorly demonstrating a specific skill (in this case carving). The comment was not snide, nor was it intended to be. I'd prefer to leave it at that before any further visual evidence is brought into play...

Later

Greg
latest report
roga,

You guys started the thread - not me.
snow report
roga wrote:
We've done that though or do you have something particularly novel to add?

Judging from yours and others attitudes I'm certain that most of what is said here falls on deaf ears.
snow report
HeluvaSkier wrote:
Judging from yours and others attitudes I'm certain that most of what is said here falls on deaf ears.

LOL, are you being ironic or just proving that the old generalisation about you guys over the pond and irony is actually quite true?

This may go whizzing right over your bonce me old mucker but isn't it rather ironic that your generalisations about Brit skiers may have led to another generalisation about you guys being proved in this instance... most amusing Toofy Grin

Anyway HeluvaSkier are you saying you are in fact one heluva lot better at skiing than any Brit here and any other Brit we care to mention (UK ski team etc.)?

Just asking out of interest Little Angel
snow report
HeluvaSkier wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
HeluvaSkier wrote:

Then why is it such a big deal that I criticized them? rolling eyes

No big deal that you criticised them. It was the sweeping generalisations you drew from that YouTube clip to British skiing as a whole (you wrote "Unfortunately Britain has never been known for their skiing prowess so I suspect that the skiing in this video reflects that"). Putting aside the fact that those weren't British skiers ( rolling eyes ), it is foolish, I would argue, to damn an entire nation's skiing based on a snippet of video picked up off the internet.

As for whether the UK can be considered as a ski "think tank" my understanding is that the UK demo team acquits itself well at Interski and the highest level graduates of its ski teaching system are as good skiers and teachers as those from any other national system.

Your comments about our "deaf ears" simply confirms in my mind the patronising attitude you demonstrated in this thread and on the RealSkiers thread. That's a shame really as I would have been happy to learn from your experience, but I won't be looked down on in such an unpleasant fashion so I will draw from this rather unpleasant exchange.
latest report
roga,
Listen, I didn't come over here to get into a d!ck swinging contest with you guys. A thread was started and some fairly rude comments were made about a comment I made on another forum. I came here to clarify what I said. Take it or leave it. I didn't come here to compare my skiing ability to anyone else's although there are some here who can vouch for my skiing ability if you really think you need to know that badly. You have some great educators in your midst here, but as I said, the knowledge probably falls on deaf ears. You seem to be a prime example given your eagerness to argue with me over nothing... rolling eyes
Later
Greg
snow report
HeluvaSkier wrote:
You seem to be a prime example given your eagerness to argue with me over nothing... rolling eyes

Sorry, are we arguing?
I'm just 'aving a larf mate - are you suggesting that's completely passed you by and we've been talking at crossed purposes or something? Puzzled Laughing

Anyway, what about your drugged up Vicks sinexes - naughty that one eh? Toofy Grin
snow report
If the Caingorms were the Alps and the Pennines - the Rockies, then we would be a better ski nation. Could we see a bit more respect when posting please.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, we are a better ski nation (than you NehNeh ).
latest report
brian, Yes, but we can still rise now, and be a ski nation again wink

As I said: Mountains and snow are a big help. And who cares where the Scots are in the world rankings.....as long as they are above the English Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-12-07 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy