Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strange pipe jutting out of the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
I've often seen these pipes, about 3ft diameter sticking out of the side of the top of a mountain. What are they?

They LOOK as if they are something to do with avalanche prevention but as they are fixed that doesn't seem very practical.

Anyone got ideas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they are marmotte cannons, aparently it is the only way to blast them off the mountain safely Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marmotte breathing holes - to compensate for the fact that pisted snow is more compact and doesn't let as much O2 through...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you are referring to Gazex (gaz explosif - explosive gas) avalanche prevention systems http://www.gaz-ex.com/anglais/index.html. They are quite common in France and are sited in known danger areas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you see them with a blue ring around them, its a beer tap of Kronenbourg for Charlatanefc Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bruski, Thats the one (although the link didn't load).
So how do they work?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Michael B,

I assume it this thing. Seen lots and was wondering what they were to. Click on 'voir la video' in bototm right hand corner and you even get to see one in action snowHead

http://www.tas-fr.com/francais/gaz_ex.html

Something to do with explosive gas. After a week in Paradski on Leffee and geneope I could do with one myself Embarassed Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 11-12-07 9:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK I had a look at that site and I see now TA! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are the entrances to so-called marmotte cities, created to give them sanctuary from the environmental ravages inflicted by snowsports enthusiasts. These aren't cities as we know them as they are smaller, designed for quadripeds and don't have as good connections to local airports.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges wrote:
and don't have as good connections to local airports.

Obviously based upon the British transport system then Mad Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes they are Gazex Gas Exploders for Avalanche control.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WTF does this mean ?

an indirect sympathetic effect on the adjacent snow mantle.

badly translated or marketing boll*cks ?? !!! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.... and _I_ thought they were part of the game known as Wombat.... an ancient and venerable sport loosely based on the 'rat in a tube' game that used to be found at school fetes around the more genteel areas of this country, where a small stuffed fabric rat (the 'wom') would be inserted into one end of a long tube, and 'small child with bat' would be placed at the other, and persuaded, through either gift or penance, to swat the 'wom' as it appeared at the other end of the tube.

clearly, as time went by, the search for bigger and badder tubes (and, presumably, 'woms') has continued unabated.
The 'bat' can be fashioned from the nearest available skier/boarder (depending upon your disposition to the 'other type', one can leave the skier/boarded attached to the 'bat' whilst in use).

for anyone who doubts the veracity of this story, I can point you in the direction of a young, beautiful (but rather impressionable) german au-pair I had the pleasure of entertaining one night on a cold mountain.... but that's another story.

Presumably using them in lieu of snow caves is not to be recommended.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not to be confused with the air ducts for the mont Blanc tunnel!
ski holidays
backhojo wrote:
WTF does this mean ?

badly translated or marketing boll*cks ?? !!! Very Happy

Like when you pluck a string on a guitar and provoke a "sympathetic" vibration in the body of the instrument. It is a real technical term but rather opaque if you don't know it.
snow report
BUMP!

On the subject of things sticking out of the snow what is this chain sticking out of the snow for? They can be found all over the La Plagne ski area, it was suggested that they are winch points for Pisten Bully's but they can be found on shallow open areas as well as steeper areas?
ski holidays
No! That's obviously Welsh leisure centre and obviously someone is in the process of interviewing a couple of sheep to be manacled there. NehNeh

Incoming!!
snow conditions
Nope, they are a French version of determining if someone is a witch or not. They are chained to the pole during a snow storm, if they are buried in the morning i.e a good powder day then obviously they must be innocent.

If however they are still visible and above the snow level obviously they must have used their magical powers to stop the snowfall and ruin the powder for the rest of us. Guilty then as charged Smile
ski holidays
boredsurfin, That doesn't look a big enough chain for it to be a winch anchor. The one for the stade in Meribel is a very big metal post.
ski holidays
saw lots of those pipes throughtout the avalanche vunreable areas in the milky way. never really noticed them before.
snow report
Latest theory is that they are connected to manhole covers to access the snowmaking pipeline network, nearly everyone we have noticed this holiday has been had the snow cleared around it, but not enough to see what it is connected to Confused
snow report

http://www.latania.co.uk/other/Gazex/gazex.htm

Quote:
Gazex: real prevention
Designed and manufactured by T.A.S. since 1988, Gazex is the best remote avalanche control system ever developed.

The way it works.
Gazex explodes an oxygen/propane gas mixture in specifically designed exploder tubes located at the top end of risk zones. The exploders are connected to gas storage tanks with capacities high enough to operate for the whole season without re-filling.

Explosively effective!
When the gas mixture explodes, the force of the explosion is directed towards the snow, producing three effects:

a direct push into snow under the open end of the exploder.
a shock wave that produces an overpressure and then a negative pressure that lifts up the snow.

http://www.tas-fr.com/anglais/gaz_ex.html
snow conditions
Video of one in action
http://www.tas-fr.com/anglais/gaz_ex_video.html
snow report
Those chains are usually located about a foot off all the main runs in most major resorsts nowadays, they're basically free-to-use S&M sites specifically aimed at Boarders.....idea is to keep the gimps off the pistes.
latest report
DB wrote:

David George (as on the copyright) is of course me.

Nice to see my diagram cropping up elsewhere, link to the original site:

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Gazex
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy