Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving time to Morzine / Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

This is a great site. I'm hopeful one of you will be able to answer my (straightforward) question:

How long should it take - assuming good autoroute conditions and brisk but essentially legal progress - to drive from the French side of the tunnel to Morzine/Les Gets?

Thanks in advance.

Ian
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did St Gervais (similar distance) at Feb Half term (busy traffic), in very wet weather (slower autoroute speeds) in a very steady, 11 hours. We did take our time and we were pretty slow through the Geneva/Annemasse area. The only traffic we missed was on the turn off for the PDS, where it was backed up. You can obviously take a lot less time by stopping less and driving like a nutter. But as a guide in poor ish conditions, I hope this helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welcome to Snowheads, IanTr, snowHead

About 8/9 hours driving time, plus stops. Assuming you're not going at half term!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Please note. The number of stops was pretty frequent with our young passenger!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IanTr, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I'd say 8/9 hours also, but with bad weather and traffic, things can go pear shaped.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IanTr, yes, there's no accounting for snow, freezing fog, horrendous traffic jams at busy weekends, etc etc. If you've not done it before, make sure you practice mounting snowchains in comfortable conditions before you set off. It's a nasty feeling, driving along losing traction, wondering if you dare keep going - I did that on the last few kms of the road up to Les Gets once, in a hired car with my sister, with no idea how to put chains on. We followed a small lorry and prayed that it wouldn't stop. It was a horrendous snowstorm, the places for putting chains on were covered in deep snow... we made it, the road to Les Gets is not steep, luckily, but these days I know how to put chains on and do it sooner rather than later.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IanTr, yes, there's no accounting for snow, freezing fog, horrendous traffic jams at busy weekends, etc etc. If you've not done it before, make sure you practice mounting snowchains in comfortable conditions before you set off. It's a nasty feeling, driving along losing traction, wondering if you dare keep going - I did that on the last few kms of the road up to Les Gets once, in a hired car with my sister, with no idea how to put chains on. We followed a small lorry and prayed that it wouldn't stop. It was a horrendous snowstorm, the places for putting chains on were covered in deep snow... we made it, the road to Les Gets is not steep, luckily, but these days I know how to put chains on and do it sooner rather than later.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now I reckon I am a bigheaded expert on this one as I have done it 5 times and treat it like a military exercise - the kids hate me for it
*565 miles door to door from the tunnel exit to the underground car park door in Avoriaz
*My record is 9 hours with a total of 60 minutes of stopping during that time - so if you don't stop ( which is unbearable with kids, and for the bladder) it is possible to do it in 8 hours if everything is clear ( and I mean everything - i.e no hold ups at pay booth, no jams, no snow on the road upto Avoriaz, no gendarme stops in Morzine to check your headlights, snowchain possession etc)
* I have also taken 13 hours due to much of the above!
*Do not in any circumstances travel on the Saturday - I always travel down on the Friday and stop near Thonon overnight - especially in the school holidays
*The road upto Avoriaz from Morzine is very difficult and treachorous in snow - it consists of 20 hairpins ( yes I count them down believe me) Beware - if its not snowing you'll be OK
Job done
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
9-11 hours with breaks and depending on whether you drive at 70 or 80 mph. Much easier than the same distance on UK motorways.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,

I drove it from Zeebruge to Morzine stopping only for petrol in 8 hours approx!! Was hardcore as I was by myself, but worth the drive.
10 days latter, did it back but this time with damaged ligaments, seriously not fun.

Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thankyou all - that's most helpful. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Is the obvious route (see below and utilising all bypasses) the best one? If not, why not and which way should I go?

Eurotunnel Calais
St Quentin
Reims
Troyes
Dijon
Bourg-en-Bresse
Annemasse
Cluses
Les Gets
Total 880km/545miles

Once again, thanks in advance!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, you have got it sussed already - the only alteration to your route would be to get off the 'L'Autoroute Blanche' at junction 15 and cut across to Taninges via Fillinges and Saint Jeoire - it will save you at least 20 minutes and a bit of petrol. As I mentioned it is exactly 565 by my mileometer to Avoriaz - you are correct in that Les Gets is nearer (545) - but not 20 miles nearer
I always find the 1st natural stop is at the Champagne Sud services 20 kms south of Reims - just after you have paid to get back on the motorway - it'll take about 2 hrs 45 mins if you have pushed it quite hard - you've got round the Reims ring road so Champagne Sud you should not be held up again for quite a distance .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do it every year. Normally catch a 9pm boat and am in resort about 12pm the next day. This is with 3 or 4 brief coffee/loo breaks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like a prat, I posted this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33269

before I notice this one existed! Blush

I hope a mod can deal accordingly! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be doing the drive to Morgins again this year, Feb half term, and using the chunnel. The last few years we've driven overnight to avoid crowds and just grabbed a couple of hours sleep at one of the services. I use a similar route to the one above before turning off at geneva. This year I want to stop off as we've got an earlier crossing, 3pm, nothing to flash, just to get some proper sleep. Probably stop between Dijion and Bourg en bresse. Anyone got any recommendations for what they've used in the past. Thanks.
ski holidays
We stayed here last year and intend to stay there on the way down for Xmas (only 7 days from today Very Happy ). This is south west of Dijon on the right road for Bourg en Bresse. Clean and tidy, family run small hotel with a decent restaurant.

Cheers,
Peter
snow report
I collated a load of recommendations from here and elsewhere into this page, which you might find handy?
http://www.chamonixchalet.info/features/driving-to-chamonix-stops-en-route-to-the-alps/

prthomas, I've just added the Parcey, looks nice!
snow conditions
mac, hotels will be pretty full, it would be a good idea to book in advance.
latest report
Thanks all. Looks like we'll try the Ibis at Dijon. Not to far to go the next morning and still time to get saturday afternoon on the slopes.
snow report
oscarkat wrote:
*The road upto Avoriaz from Morzine is very difficult and treachorous in snow - it consists of 20 hairpins ( yes I count them down believe me) Beware - if its not snowing you'll be OK
Job done

I've ascended it at 10pm with 4-6 inches of snow on the road and with heavy snow still falling. I had a 4x4 vehicle but was taking it nice and easy (using engine braking toward the hairpins). Still amazed that I was overtaken by a Discovery. Neither of us had snow chains on. Some people must have a weird idea that it's safest to speed through danger to minimise the duration at risk... rolling eyes
ski holidays
After a lot of searching around on train and airline websites I finally decided to drive down. This time next week I will be on the ferry. Should be good overnight on the autoroutes.
snow report
If you go for a hot meal on the ferry don't forget to take advantage of the microwave ovens to warm the tepid food.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy