Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you want to improve your bumps/moguls skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, practice your short radius turns until you can get them like these:

http://uk.youtube.com/v/9PVUYqT314k&feature=related

Then replicate those short turns in the bumps:

http://uk.youtube.com/v/VyticeHvTIU&feature=related

NB: It isn't "perfect" nor "textbook" - just someone who is clearly working hard at improving his technique, and is good skiing.

What I especially like about the bump skiing is that he is steering his skis well, you see a rounded turn shape, he's not just "windscreen wipering" his tails around in a braquage type turn.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very good, don't think my knees are up to it though these days!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, must've read my mind. I was just thinking of asking such a question. I usually start off ok but get progressively faster until very soon I'm out of control and then I fall over Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand, in intermediate short radius and bumps, the key is to finish/complete the turn across the fall line, so as not to pick up speed.

In advanced/expert short radius (as shown in the videos above) the key is deflection of the skiers momentum. So whilst the ski's aren't necessarily turned across the fall line, the skier's Centre of Mass (body) is being deflected across the fall line (as opposed to down the fall line) by skillful use of impulse, so as not to generate speed down the hill.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

In advanced/expert short radius (as shown in the videos above) the key is deflection of the skiers momentum. So whilst the ski's aren't necessarily turned across the fall line, the skier's Centre of Mass (body) is being deflected across the fall line (as opposed to down the fall line) by skillful use of impulse, so as not to generate speed down the hill.

You lost me after "in"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, Good videos. I normally can only do a few bumps at a time then I get knackered legs Crying or Very sad

snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, Interesting - nice line - do you think he/she might flexing a bit before the bump or is that a product of the camera angle?

Now a question - is part of his turning to slow down wink and - as you say - control momentum?

This is something that I know when I am doing well, but don't have tricks to replicate.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I still find it amazing that sort of sort surface can be created just by the action of skis - do people ski that sort of run because they have to or because they find it fun Shocked Can't ever see me doing that!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 19-12-07 1:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

nice line - do you think he/she might flexing a bit before the bump or is that a product of the camera angle?

Yes, it is a nice line, isn't it. You don't see too many people (outside technical ski championships) ski that nice line in the bumps. As for pre-flexing - for the majority of the bumps, I'd say that the timing of the flex is appropriate, ie: he's waiting until the bump compresses his legs, But towards the end, where the bumps are smaller, yes, there might be a couple where it looks like he's pre-flexing.

Quote:

is part of his turning to slow down and - as you say - control momentum?

Yes, his turns are nice steered carved turns, ie: edging component as well as rotary (pivot) component present. The action of steering the skis whilst on edge helps with the speed control. For an example of how he is directing his momentum across the fall line, look around turn 11, he gets completely airborne, but the direction that he is flying is across, not down.

Also - that particular turn where he gets airborne - he demonstrates excellent fore-aft balance. As soon as he's airborne, the next thing that touches the ground are the tips of his skis - showing that he's well centred. I'm sure that we've all had that moment when we get airbourne, and find ourselves in the back seat wink

This is a skier showing a very good set of skills.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, skiing bumps is a very good way of improving your skiing. It ensures that you can move the ski fowards and backwards, and deal with pressure (up and down), independently.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, probably, but it is - when the going isn't good - difficult to look that extra few turns ahead, and then the eyes start looking down, the shoulders start moving towards the sides... and you know the rest...

I think that can be the same in trees (on skis or bike) ..

Thing is I now have some tools I can use to deal with steeps and powder and ice, but with bumps and crud I am still looking for those. Lesson time yet again...

veeeight, agreed.

If you had to keep one thing in your mind skiing bumps, what would it be (silly question perhaps - but often there is only room for one thing in mine, and over-thinking leads to me losing it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If you had to keep one thing in your mind skiing bumps, what would it be

Stay centred on your skis, don't get into the back seat!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top video on short radius turns: not bad, hands are a little wide.

Bump video: weight is a little too far over the tails, upper body moves a little too much, and pole plants are still too wide. Not bad skiing, though.

"If you had to keep one thing in your mind skiing bumps, what would it be (silly question perhaps - but often there is only room for one thing in mine, and over-thinking leads to me losing it."

Keep everything moving forward. Hands forward, hips forward, constant forward pressure on tongues of boots, eyes forward (3-5 bumps, typically), and if you get in a bind... just push it all forward even more! That will keep you stacked, quiet upper body, and will help pressure your tips over the crest of the bumps, to keep as constant ski-to-snow contact as possible.

If you want more bump skiing info, check out www.mogulskiing.net.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BushMogulMaster, thank you, also for the link - a fantastic amount of useful information on which to ponder.
latest report
No problem. Just launched the site at the end of last month. PM me or email admin@mogulskiing.net if you have anything specific you'd like to see on the site.
snow report
BushMogulMaster, Great Site, nice writing without getting too technical, I will give some of those tips a try.

The video is a wmv file - no chance of an mp4 or more mac friendly format? - I will have to have a look on my PC (no pleasing some people eh? wink )
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, you can install a WMV player for your Mac from here.

BushMogulMaster, nice website, some great videos to be envious of Smile
latest report
rob@rar, thanks - thats worked for me...

BushMogulMaster, hope you will hang around here a bit.
snow conditions
BushMogulMaster, good site, thanks, and welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Some really useful tips here, thanks veeeight, and others. My mantra for the next time - finish the turn, finish the turn, finish the turn Laughing

Megamum, It is fun too. Very scary the first few times but quite rewarding even if you only manage a few before mayhem ensues Smile
snow report
Megamum, I'm still waiting for it not to be scary. But it's still fun!
snow conditions
Thanks for the welcome and the comments. I plan to hang around here as time allows!

Hit some bumps at Copper yesterday. Took a few runs to get my legs back under me, but I think I'll be on top of my game again by Thursday!
ski holidays
veeeight, great links . One of my goals for this season, is to move away from my mogul survival mode ie braquage, and be more short rad, my main problem is control of speed. Last season I tried doing 5/6 short rad turns then control the speed with a couple of windscreen wipers but it didn't really work out. I guess the answer will be a combination of, more fully completing the turn, and coming to terms with a higher speed. I find completing the turn is a bit of a challenge when the shape is so dictated by the terrain.
Any ideas welcome.

One tip I picked up at the ski show seminar on mogul skiing was to use (much) shorter sticks!
snow report
veeeight, nice videos, these guys always make it look so easy Embarassed

I noticed this one on the youtube site after watching the two you posted: http://uk.youtube.com/v/uJDUL_JH78c&NR=1 to me he looks good, with some very pronounced edge angles, what do you think? Commentary seems to be in Japanese but I did make out the words 'bending motion' Laughing snowHead
latest report
AxsMan, nice skiing. If I were to nitpick, I'd lke his upper body to be a little quieter by creating seperation with his legs/skis, thereby letting his skis do a little more of the work. But great skiing nevertheless.
latest report
This guy seems to be doing something I am guilty of, he is feeling for the ground with his inside ski pole which is slightly dragging his shoulder back, what I am not guilty of is getting the superb edge angles he is achieving, if only.
ski holidays
veeeight,

the first line in the thread seems to be the most important to me. IME (I'm not an instructor) intermediates often say "I can ski OK but I'm hopeless in the bumps" or "I just want a lesson to improve my mogul skiing" and once you've seen them ski the best advice would be "I suggest you learn to ski short turns on flat snow first"...

J
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster, or absorption in a straight line...
latest report
veeeight, BushMogulMaster, always been a bit wary of learning with words, but these videos really help the penny to drop. Will have to put into practice now!! Really helpful, thank you.
snow report
i am no expert on bump skiing, but i can get down them fairly well now. I always suggest to people, that think of the bumps as your helper, and use them to unweight your skis, that makes it easier to turn. so everytime you hit a bump, and unweight, change direction and continue on down the fall line.
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:

If you had to keep one thing in your mind skiing bumps, what would it be (silly question perhaps - but often there is only room for one thing in mine, and over-thinking leads to me losing it.

For me it would be ... Thank God I picked up a new pair of these Rax skis! Shocked
snow conditions
veeeight, have to agree fully with short turns technique transferring into moguls. My mogul skiing is distinctly average - three (maybe four at a push) nice(ish) turns (although speed control not great), invariably followed by either: (a) a boring traverse, or, (b) lift off, followed by painful landing...

However, when I did a SuperGroup session up Blackcomb a couple of weeks ago, we did a few bumps (with some drills) and that was nice. Then we did some short turn practice and drills, and then went back into the bumps - the difference was very noticeable.

Still something I desparately want to work on and improve, largely because there is very little that is as impressive as watching someone ski bumps down a good line, fully in control (and the feeling that must give the skier must be sheer delight). I have to admit though that I doubt my legs would let me do half of that bump run in the video (even if my technique did...) Shocked
ski holidays
skisimon, mileage, mileage, mileage Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy