Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow report: Aspen

Poster: A snowHead
Contrary to emails that have been going around, snow conditions in the US are not all as bad as some would lead us to believe.
Aspen is reporting over 100cm at resort level, and another 30+ cm higher up.
Stowe is also having a great start to the season with over 100cm at the top, and good cover down to the base.

(this information has come to me from people in resort)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
weatherHead wrote:
Meanwhile a recent storm has transformed conditions in most of North America

weatherHead wrote:
In North America conditions have definitely taken a turn for the better, with most resorts getting a share of the recent snowfall ...... Aspen got their fair share

Would that be the email that you're referring to?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
weatherHead, no, a different one!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive pretty much reported how it is

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32669
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latest from Snowmass...

"5-10" of snow is expected in the next 16 hours.

Conditions continue to be epic and base depths are more than double our average."

7" have fallen in the last 24 hours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Latest from Snowmass...

"5-10" of snow is expected in the next 16 hours.

Conditions continue to be epic and base depths are more than double our average."

7" have fallen in the last 24 hours.

7" in 24hr ? 20+ in 24hr is epic ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, terrible, isn't it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, have you seen 18" new snow in aspen in the last 24 hrs bring on thursday Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski, 18? it was 6 the last time I checked - about 6 hours ago. snowHead

I can hardly wait another 2 weeks. Have a great time, but make sure you leave some powder for us!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, no honest it is now 19" on aspens own web site, and dont worry i am sure there will be plenty of powder for you in two weeks as i see another storm is coming through next week snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
great skiing today on aspen mountain with 3" of new snow during the day, this refreshed all the pistes and meant we had fresh tracks in the middle of the day, we skied from 9am to 3.30pm and never had to wait once for the gondola or any chair, had my first taste of glade skiing which was pretty cool, this place rocks Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ditto today at aspen, except the sun came out this afternoon and made for a great day, skiing aspen highlands tomorrow, no new snow forecast and sunny skies for a couple of days
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neilski, have a great time. I'm starting to get packed here. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilski, Head over to Frog Ponds on snowmass for some fun trees Smile

Enjoy the snow over there its a great place Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski report for aspen highlands 13th jan; blue skies all day today with only 1" of fresh snow overnight, but what a fantastic day with the top to bottom runs on the mountain were groomed to perfection, allowing some great high speed loops. spent a while watching people hiking up to the top of the highland bowl to ski what must be some of the best in bounds extreme skiing i have ever seen. then we skied the steeplechase mogul runs of the lodge chair , which had perfect soft big bumps that seemed to go on forever Very Happy

Wear The Fox Hat, thanks for the advice to come here it really is a great place, and things will probably be even better by the time you get here, we have two more sunny days then another big storm is due bringing tons of new snow, enjoy snowHead snowHead

Bones, would love to get to snowmass but have promised my bh a couple of days on buttermilk just taking things easy, anyhow i have to save something for when we come back next year Smile
snow conditions
Neilski wrote:
ski report for aspen highlands 13th jan; blue skies all day today with only 1" of fresh snow overnight, but what a fantastic day with the top to bottom runs on the mountain were groomed to perfection,

YUCK Sad

Neilski wrote:
watching people hiking up to the top of the highland bowl to ski what must be some of the best in bounds extreme skiing i have ever seen.

Its not as bad or difficult as it looks Very Happy
latest report
We were there mid December & it was fab!!! Plenty of snow & sunshine!!!
ski holidays
snowHead 5 days to go snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

watching people hiking up to the top of the highland bowl to ski what must be some of the best in bounds extreme skiing i have ever seen.

Tis a nice stroll to some fantastic views, even with 2 pairs of skis to carry Smile Skiings fun too, from there Toofy Grin
latest report
ski report for aspen snowmass jan 15th
1 '' of fresh snow overnight on snowmass making for a great days skiing, as we only had one day free to ski snowmass we got up early and hit the first lift up from the new village area with the idea to ski all five areas, after skiing three or four runs down of sams knob we went to the big burn area which was fantastic with fast blue groomers, then over to the high alpine area, and this is where the plan came unstuck , as this was some of the best skiing i have ever done , with long long mogul runs under the chair and fantastic glade skiing, in frogs ponds glades (thanks for the tip bones Laughing )we stayed doing lap after lap of empty runs with a quick lunch at glynns cabin(great chilli) time just flew by and we didnt get to ski the elk camp or campground ski areas, but maybe next year when the new village is complete i wll come back for more snowHead snowHead

last day tomorrow:cry: so hoping for just a few inches of fresh snow tonight so we can finish of our trip in style Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Save some snow for us!

Oh, and you missed out on Elk, it's worth doing for the views!
ski holidays
Neilski, so glad you got over to Snowmass as it's a brilliant mountain. Make sure you allocate more than a day there next year as elk camp is excellent. How is the new village coming along? It was still all rubble and holes when I was there in March.

Nells andWear The Fox Hat have a fab time. Nells, is THIS where the wave magics will be christened Shocked Wow - they will be brilliant.
latest report
minx, new village is looking good,i am sure it will be complete for next year, they have opened a new centre for kids there which looks fab, i think i would stay in snowmass next year as there is so much great skiing and the new village will provide lots to do, and just bus into aspen for a couple of nights out and to ski aspen and highlands
ski holidays
Neilski, yes, that's what we did - stayed in Snowmass and bused out, would do that again.

Have a great last day Very Happy
ski holidays
minx, Yes this will be their first outing snowHead roll on saturday
ski holidays
We're heading out to Aspen next week, well, we arrive there on Saturday.

I'm really excited, I've never been on a winter holiday in North America before. We're staying in Aspen itself, but are planning on heading over to Snowmass for at least three of the days we're out there.

Having done a number of January weeks in France & Switzerland before, how does the cold compare? Usually I ride around with a small rucksack with extra clothes and a camelback (with water in it), I'm guessing that the camelback would just freeze up so wouldn't be worth taking. The website has -8C to -24C today, gulp!

Also any recommendations for snowboarding lessons?
latest report
JamesJ, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I am sure he who knows it all will be along shortly to advice on weather and temps, he has been studying the websites avidly for week's in preparation for Saturday snowHead
snow report
JamesJ, welcome. I see SHMBO has got in first snowHead
Yes, we're flying out via Chicago on Saturday, and staying in Snowmass.
4" of new snow in the last 24 hours, so that's a nice light dusting.
Temperatures can get cold - if you bring a camelback, put it on under your jacket, that should stop it from freezing. Also blow back after drinking to clear out the tube.

You'll appreciate the lack of queuing at lifts, cause standing around when it's cold is not pleasant!

Regarding snowboarding lessons, there's only one ski/board school in Aspen (it's the way they do it in most US resorts), I'll get back to you if I can get the names of specific instructors worth asking for.

Take advantage of the mountain guides (can't remember if they offer free mountain tours as well), who can let you know where you might enjoy going, etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wednesday 16th aspen snow report; "powder day" 6" fresh snow over night and a temp of minus 18 kept everybody of aspen mountain early on , giving us fresh tracks until about 11am,
with the fresh snow , we were able to ski some of the really steep stuff, which was great fun.
i can not believe how much my skiing has come on here , the consistence of the snow and the pitches have allowed me to go from skiing most blues and some blacks to being able to get down even the double black mogul runs with an modicum of style snowHead

we are leaving early tomorrow so no more skiing for me Sad , but this has been a great trip, and i am sure anyone coming out here this winter will have a fantastic time snowHead

full trip report with pics to follow soon
latest report
JamesJ, it was minus 18 today but no wind so not to bad , the weather is meant to warm up for the weekend, the mountain ambassadors meet at 10:30 each morning on all four mountains to give a great tour, a real plus for snowboarders is they can show you how to aviod the flat cat tracks where possible.
with fresh snow aspen mountain is just made for snowboarding and snowmass has the coolest parks ive seen, but not the place to be if the wind gets up.

have a great time snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks for the welcome and all the info, especially the camelback advice Smile

Am looking forward to reading the trip report and seeing Neilski's pics now!
snow report
JamesJ, trip report now up, pics will be done when i get home , we are just leaving for the airport now for our long trip home, i know you will have a brilliant time , let me know how you get on Razz
ski holidays
JamesJ wrote:

Word back from Weems (a friend from Aspen).
The best snowboard instructor on Aspen mountain is Lucas Franze.
Plenty of good ones too, but he's considered the best.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
JamesJ wrote:

Word back from Weems (a friend from Aspen).
The best snowboard instructor on Aspen mountain is Lucas Franze.
Plenty of good ones too, but he's considered the best.

Wow, that's great, thanks for the info Smile
ski holidays
methinks WTFH will of had a good week so far in Aspen. Anyone going out there will have a blast. Checkout the locals report on the website for Aspen mountain, it's by a guy called Big Bald Bobby Shocked and he takes some amazing photos.

http://www.aspensnowmass.com/onmountain/reports/default.cfm
snow conditions
minx, thanks, yes, we had a great week. (although the conditions in the Canyons were even better - unless your job was clearing snow off the steps outside our condo!)
Photos to follow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy