Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TRAVEL FROM GENEVA TO LE CARROZ

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking for some advice, and am new to snowheads. I arrive with my family of 3 @ Geneva Airport on the 22nd December 2007 for one week (until the 29th December) and looking for the most cost effective way of travel to and from a Chalet in Le Carroz ? Puzzled .

Kind Regards Mike
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wadem, welcome to Snowheads. You must be thrilled at the state of the snow cover this early in the season. snowHead It's a very easy, quick, journey from Geneva to Le Carroz; I'd be inclined to hire a car. However the cost of a taxi transfer might be comparable, as it's so close to Geneva. There are lots of transfer firms, including some you'll find mentioned throughout snowheads (do a search). If you hire, get a car from the Swiss side of Geneva airport, rather than the French, it's easier to get in and out of the airport and the cars are generally winter-equipped (tyres and chains).
Have a great holiday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice may try that ! Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wadem, just looked again at your post. You asked for a "cost effective" way. Depends what you put in the equation! Cheapest would be train to Cluses, then bus up to the resort - details on the Les Carroz website. A lot of hassle on a busy Saturday, I'd bet, especially if you have a fair bit of baggage. So "cost effectiveness" depends on the cost you put on your time and effort. At the other end of the convenience scale a taxi would be (ball park) around 300-350 euros return. A car would probably cost less, and maybe a car would be useful in resort too? The people running your chalet could probably advise on whether a car would be useful, and where you could best park it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wadem, Welcome to snowheads. Unless you are thinking of driving from resort to resort, (not likely for a weeks holiday) get a taxi. Price about the same as hiring a little cheaper but can be hassle. The important thing is that you are on holiday! Unless you are a rally driver leave it to the locals to be waiting for you, have to put on chains, hassle of parking, putting up with road conditions we are not used to.

I just got back from the PdS fantastic snow you will have a blast, plenty of snow. Pay the little extra and you can start the holiday when you leave your car at the uk airport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much everybody, i will let you know how i get on !

Regards Micke
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Unless you are a rally driver

I agree a taxi can make things a lot easier - but I don't think we should suggest that you need to be a "rally driver" to get to a ski resort by car. I'm an elderly lady, not a very technically able driver, but I manage. You do need to take it easy, be aware of the need to treat the brakes with caution, and - paramount - have chains and have practiced using them. It can be an adventure, and it's satisfying to be able to do it yourself. But adventures are not for everyone - maybe not for those for whom money is no object. I guess that if money was no object, I'd take taxis!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree totally with Pam W - car hire is v convenient for Les Carroz, is simple, and gives many alternatives for getting around the resort and accessing the pistes.
In my experience, taxi/transfer is normally more expensive than a car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and have a great trip. Les Carroz is beautiful at Christmas, and hopefully, especially so this time around if the snow continues...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Driven to LC 4 times, absolutely no problems, easy drive from geneva if you hire from the swiss side, we found it useful to nip up to the vernant or molliets (sp) lift in the car in a morning as but for a week might not work out as cheap otherwise try someone like powder cabs
nice bunch of people

http://www.powdercab.com/information.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, you may very well be an accomplished driver, but the problem is many are not!!! It is others on the road that can cause the problems for you! The trip to les carroz can be difficult in bad weather. I was just reccomending the hassle free journey not the cheapest form. The cheapest is still hitching a lift!

wrongsideof30, I hope Powdercab answer their phone this year. Last year they lost 4 return journeys. Will give them another try later on in January.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, I'm certainly not a specially accomplished driver - I do think I'm a careful one, and have been doing it for a long time without yet encountering another vehicle in anger (though I did kill a cow in the New Forest last year Embarassed ), but it's true that there are plenty of people, including me, with no special skills, who drive quite successfully to resorts. Of course you can have problems with others on the road, but that's always the case - just arrived back from a very busy A12/M25/A3 with those criminal damned lorry drivers up my a*se and flashing their lights if I left a sane distance between me and the car in front, then overtaking and pulling in three yards ahead of me, causing me to drop back yet again to leave a safe distance. What do they gain? In a 9 mile traffic jam? I don't think anything more hazardous or intimidating has happened to me on my journeys to ski resorts!

Commonsense and a careful read of relevant guidance and tips (plenty on snowheads) is really all that is required. And I personally would add the ability to read a map; anyone who can't get to a ski resort in France without a satnav oughtn't to be allowed out alone IMV!

Is Les Carroz any more difficult than other resorts? I've only driven up there three times, and always in good weather, but I don't recall any unusual hazards. Give me that over the Dartford Crossing (or the autoroute A6 on a holiday weekend), any day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

I've driven there at least 6 times and have never had a problem getting to the village, the main roads are cleared very quickly all the way to Flaine. Getting out of my apartment car park and up to the gondola car park though has required chains on two visits. Like others, I'd say having a car is handy - you could even try Chamonix or Morzine in less than an hour.

Enjoy what is going to be the best start ever.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is no more difficult than to your resort. I would agree if you do not have enough skiing for a week in a bitty resort you may wish to hire a car and explore other places. In most places you will have more than enough to do in a week. Then again it is down to that old chestnut about lack of ability crambing in the kms. wadem, There is a lot to do in that area and you will have fun. Hire a car and start your holiday in Les Carroz seems to be the advice of a good navigator but bovine hater!!!

I would echo what was stated above, a great start to the season. Have fun.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

but bovine hater
Oh dear, poor cow. In my defence, she was black, and leapt into the middle of the road on a pitch black night. They were, according to the owner, a bit spooked after being rounded up on horseback that afternoon. I was doing 35 mph. The Alpine cows are locked up all winter, thankfully.
snow conditions
TG.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy