Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Duke bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I live in Scotland and do quite a bit of ski touring - usually on Scott Missions with Fritschi Freeride Plus bindings. However I've started to play about in the park too, and am coughing up for a pair of Salomon Thrusters. I wouldn't mind having touring bindings on these as you never know when you might want to put your skins on and disappear out of the ski area. However I have found that the frischis are prone to pre-releasing in the park (probably due to the lack of skill in my landings!).

So was thinking of a pair of Marker Dukes. Does anyone know how much more robust these are then Fritschis, and in particular does anyone have any views of what they'd be like in a park? If there's clearly going to be a performance gap I'll just mount the skis with downhill only bindings, and make sure I have my Scotts handy too...

Cheers

Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am looking at these bindings and they look bombproof. But that strenght/robustness comes at a price...weight. For this reason, I think they will be small hiking bindings, maybe 2 hours max uphill. I am sure they will be a vast improvement in the park over the Freerides though..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
motatapu, not ideal for park use but certainly the best option out there.

As you have the Scott Missions / Freerides for more dedicated touring why not have alpine binders and get some Alpine Trackers and have them in the pack for the odd little excursions? <2 hours just for giggles Trackers are perfect compromise - you get the perfect park ski and can tour side country.

JT, you know that means you'd have to buy some skis to put them on? Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, thanks for the suggestion. I don't knolw anything about the alpine trackers but will investigate....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor,

Ever the quandry
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
motatapu, I think this is perfect for you...

JT, will I see you in Jan?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:
motatapu, I think this is perfect for you...

JT, will I see you in Jan?

If you can show us around the back of Mont Fort I reckon a hook up can be arranged Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Dukes look like the are for those who like to hike for a short distance for that one awesome descent. It will hold at very high forces such as turns at extreme steepness and landings from cliff hucks. It is seriously weighty and so probably not ideal for long/steep single day ascents and certainly not suitable for multi day tours.

Reviews so far have been very promising.

The range also has a binding called the Jester, which I havent read any idependent reviews but know it is made for the park but I am not sure it is hike compatible.

How often when you leave the flat in the morning deciding to spend the day in the park do you decide to go off on a tour and vice versa. I'd get Dukes if you need to charge hard in the backcountry otherwise get some park specifc bindings which arn't quite so expensive and keep your fritschi' for off piste touring.

Saying all this, I am going to mount Dukes on my Gotama's and then I am going to buy lighter touring ski's such as Ski Trab Freerando's and mount something like Fritschi Explore and I guess if I was a park bod which I'm not get a third pair .... and finally 2 pairs for the piste!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum, living in Scotland you have to take what you can get - so it's not uncommon for me to head up Cairngorm planning on sticking to lift served stuff, only to realise the weather's turned out better than expected - which then makes a spin across the plateau a much better option.

When you're talking about the Dukes' ability to hold high forces, is that just because it has a higher DIN range, or is it an intrinsically better binding? What I'm interested in is improving on the Fritschis in the sense of having something that will release when I'm about to break a leg / bust a ligament, but won't pre-release as often. In other words I want to ride at more or less the same DIN I currently use (ie Cool, stay in my bindings when I land backwards, but not compromise on safety.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
motatapu, I was skiing with a friend on Saturday and he was skiing on Dukes (isn't sponsorship great rolling eyes ). He is very happy with them and said that he thought that intrinisically (he didn't use that word because it has too many syllables) they were a more retentive binding, irrespective of the DIN setting used, although he has his set up to the maximum. Having skiied on the Jesters, which are the non-touring version, I would agree, as you really feel locked in to the toepiece.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BGA, wonder who couldn't say "intrinsically", like you, I doubt he could spell it either... Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, no worries!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor,

Should be looking to get into the Verbier lift system from Les Collons as it suits where we plan to stay. We wanted to do the run down to the Dam and then up and over Greppon Blanc and back. I haven't been back to Verbier for years and I haven't really got a sense of scale of the place but I think it would be a nice detour and day out. I am expecting a few steep gullies at the top and then into a bowl or so..so not guided atm.

So, yes, should be possible to meet up...depending how busy you are. It is unlikely we can get over for more than a day ... Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
parlor,

Should be looking to get into the Verbier lift system from Les Collons as it suits where we plan to stay. We wanted to do the run down to the Dam and then up and over Greppon Blanc and back. I haven't been back to Verbier for years and I haven't really got a sense of scale of the place but I think it would be a nice detour and day out. I am expecting a few steep gullies at the top and then into a bowl or so..so not guided atm.

So, yes, should be possible to meet up...depending how busy you are. It is unlikely we can get over for more than a day ... Sad

don't forget...and on a day I can get there snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, damn. Out smart-arsed. A slip of the typing finger brought on by the post powder euphoria from the weekend. And no, I'm sure he couldn't spell it either wink
snow conditions
BGA, I think the kids say "soz".

JT, kitenski, just keep me posted I'm sure we can sort something out.
snow report
kitenski,

Sounds good to me,

parlor, If the days work out with Greg we will be coming over from Zinal so will PM youn nearer the time...

motatapu, Sorry for trashing your thread but I hoping the Dukes will prove a robust alpine binding with an uphill facilty. They look a lot butcher than the Freeride ..which I feel leaves the ski a little too detached and high for me. I don't think the Dukes will be any lower to the ski..nature of the beast really, but would hope it makes for a more secure attachment, or rather, sense of attachment.

I am hoping to demo them soon. If I go for these, it will probably be with the view that they will do alpine very well and will tolerate a short skin. How acceptable the compromises of weight and the ski size is...I don't know yet.
snow report
Can you put crampons on Duke's?
ski holidays
parlor,

See, now you go and confuse things with the trackers.... good call though. wink

The chalet looks great...

Be in touch

DB, I thought crampons were an issue with dukes....hope someone clarifies that.
snow conditions
DB, there's a comment on telemark-pyrenees, who've recently got the Dukes for sale, that there are no crampons available for them at present (and no indication of when/whether there will be). I consider that a show-stopper for it's use as a touring binding.
snow conditions
GrahamN & JT,

Yes, no crampons no go. I'm sticking with freerides for now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy