Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problem When Skiing The Steep (muscular i think)

Poster: A snowHead
Morning snowHead

I have just got back from a couple of days in Obertauern - trip report soon - and need to try and sort out a problem which has worsened as my ability has improved.

Background - when i was born, the Achilles tendon in my left leg was too short and required various operations. This all meant that for the first 18 months of my existence my left leg was barely used, and as a result the calf muscle is quite a bit smaller than the right leg. This does not cause me a problem in any other sports, and didn't in skiing until i started hitting steeper and harder stuff. When turning onto my left leg on the steep, the ski shakes down the slope (i would use the word chatter to describe it). It is becoming very frustrating, and does not happen all the time, but more so at the end of the day when the legs are feeling tired.

I would instinctively put this down to the calf muscle being smaller, but i cannot work out how the calf muscle would come into play to make this happen, and would rather expect it to be hamstring or thigh muscles?

Anyone have any ideas? before i resign myself to a life or blue runs Sad

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hezza. I have no ideas which could help you but more expert people will - maybe basic technique improvements needed. I'm aware my left leg is less strong, I think that's quite normal and am trying to do more exercise on that leg, to build it up. But it's obviously more difficult in your case, given your background. Don't despair, I'm sure you don't need to resign yourself to a life of blue runs! Looking forward to your trip report. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to the gym and use the leg press, a lot! plus cycle lots, that will build the calf muscle and the other muscles that you will use when skiing, however it is likely that you will always get some problems, you just have to learn to cope....

Sorry I guess that's not very helpfull Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hezza, Generally, chattering of the turning ski happens when you're nearly, but not quite enough on the edge of the ski. It sounds doubtful that your calf muscle has anything to do with it. I suggest that you have a private lesson with someone and explain the problem - it's probably a technical one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's chattering it's because it does not have enough grip to cope with the pressure you are applying. Reduce the pressure and/or increase the edge angle to get more grip. As easiski suggested a private lesson should help you fix the problem. I don't think it is bound to be a problem with a weaker leg, more likely to be technique.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alignment maybe? And at the end of the day when my legs are shot I too find it hard to keep it all together - in one case I found myself trundling off to the right when I wanted to go left but the legs just couldn't make the effort Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conversely to some of the responses above you may want to try backing off the edge a degree or two. What is happening is that the ski is getting grip but due to various factors (planes of movement, stiffness of ski, your strength) can't deal with the grip so releases then catches again, can't deal with the grip so releases and catches again etc etc). If you go for more grip this may work, but you will have to deal with loads of extra pressure and (potentially) lots more speed caused by effectively harnessing the extra grip.

Back off the edge just a smidgen, steer a bit further & more continuously with your feet and the judder will magically dissappear. Try it, it works.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chattering can sometimes be caused by having too straight a leg that does not bend and absorb the terrain lumps and bumps. As Easiski says get a private lesson, very difficult to sort out here. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nother vote for a private lesson.... if the ski is chattering, you are asking it to do too much ! Try any (or all of) more edge, softer legs (flex that ankle), or slowing down the rotation of the ski... snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow! What a response. Shocked

Thanks for the replies everyone, all ideas taken on board . I suppose hitting the gym a bit harder wont harm my chances of sorting it out, so i'll give that a go for the next few weeks until my 8 days in Trois Vallees snowHead I've got some half day group lessons sorted for then already, but i'll try and get a private lesson as well - really want to get this right!

So... when holding the ski in a rigid position under pressure, what muscles are involved? So i can target those little b*ggers Madeye-Smiley

offpisteskiing, maybe you are onto something here. The skis i hired were brand spanking new Fischers, which had probably been serviced as well, because the edges were like razor blades - cut my hand and gloves!!! So masses of grip from them, maybe too much.

Thanks again snowheads snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hezza, Why not get to your nearest artificial slope, and get you ski muscles working sooner ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hezza, You should never hold your ski in a rigid position under pressure - hah! now we are getting down to it! This idea would suggest that you are bracing your turning leg (and probably more on steeper slopes) in your effort to get more pressure onto the ski. You'll get more pressure if you relax/collapse/flop on your turning leg. Scary thought!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, i quite often head over the Milton Keynes (only about 30mins away) but its not steep enough to replicate the problem

easiski, sounds like good advice. I guess it's one of those mental things, where i think i'll have to try harder to compensate for the weakness, which only makes it worse. God dammit, now i have to wait 4 weeks to try it out again rolling eyes but, do calf muscles help at all with skiing?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You'll get more pressure if you relax/collapse/flop on your turning leg

Huh?
Shurely shome mishtake?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep veeeight gotta agree with you there... relax/flop/collapse will reduce/manage the pressure as far as I'm concerned...
snow report
Come on guys you know what she means wink keep the knee flexed to absorb the bumps Very Happy
snow conditions
veeeight, Perhaps it's not a sufficiently 'scientfic' phrase for you. To people who are used to bracing their turning leg (most intermediate skiers), flexing the leg feels EXACTLY like relax/collapse/flop or whatever you want to say - get with the programme! they are afraid to do it because too many people have told them they need to pressure the ski and they try to do exactly that: press down on the ski. Result: lower leg stiff and braced - no ability to drive the ski forward and very little pressure actually on the ski. Add to this getting tired because the muscles are all held stiff ..... Shocked rolling eyes
ski holidays
easiski, Yes flexing the leg does feel exactly like relax/collapse/etc etc, however this does not add pressure to the ski. A controlled flex/relax allows you to control the pressure build up (caused by interaction of the ski/snow ) and continue to influence the ski. Bracing against the ski (ie straight leg), the pressure building in the turn has nowhere to go and 3 possibilities emerge: 1. soft snow: ski will dissappear downwards (submarine); 2. firm snow which ski can maintain grip on: ski will accelerate off into the distance; 3. snow the ski can't maintain grip on: ski will judder or slide out sideways.

Dypcdiver, can't decipher the intent of the smileys.. but "keep the knee flexed" won't absorb any bumps, however 'allowing the leg to straighten and flex' will (if timed appropriately)...

Sorry, I'm being a pedant here, but I think we have to be quite careful what we say as our subconscious tends to take things like this on board...
latest report
Just to back this up before people start diving in try the following exercise:
Find a small wall (2 feet max unless you're feeling fit & healthy).
Jump off this and land on your feet (this is essentially what we do on skis - we drop with gravity and land on our feet/skis (in the lower part of the turn))

Now, first (caution) land with straight/stiff/braced legs and see how much pressure you feel through your heels/knees.

Once your back from A & E try this again, but this time allow your legs to flex as you land. How much pressure do you feel this time?

On skis try the same thing jumping up and down whilst on the flat and listen to the noise the skis make (noise in this instance equating to pressure) Landing with stiff legs = loud noise = lots of pressure. Landing and softening (relaxing/collapsing) legs = less noise = less pressure.

Enjoy. Can't wait to finally kick this flu (10 days now) and get in amongst it... Very Happy
snow conditions
^ wot he said. Relax/collapse/flop will in most cases result in LESS pressure, not more.
ski holidays
Boot fitting well?

If your left calf is smaller than the right, could it be your left boot has some extra room for your foot to move about inside the boot? That would also affect how much control you have on that leg.

My left foot is half a size smaller than my right. Couple with weaker muscle on that leg, I always felt less control on my left than on the right. Having a custom footbed made last season helped quite a lot.
ski holidays
veeeight, offpisteskiing, And it's the effort to get pressure on the ski (in the wrong way) that causes peeps to stiffen their turning leg. Thus, if they relax the leg (or soften, or settle or whatever) they actually end up with more turning pressure on the ski because they actually had NO pressure build-up (in the sense that you mean it) in the first place to manage or control. The action of relaxing their leg allows their ankles to flex, squeezing the front of the boot and hence pressuring the ski and driving it forwards a little bit! If someone has this problem (and clearly a misapprehension about how to apply pressure in the first place) then talking about managing pressure that doesn't build up in the first place is not helpful to the person asking the question IMO.
snow report
offpisteskiing, Did you read my first post and the original post?
snow conditions
Dypcdiver, I doubt it! Wanting to score points????
snow report
Dypcdiver, Ah, missed that bit...apologies...!!!

easiski, Sorry got better things to do with my time than score points. (Though enough time to be on here...but I am ill...).
ski holidays
offpisteskiing, Hope you feel better soon. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Not sure about the technicalities of this particular discussion, but I have, and continue to find easiski's instruction, exercises, and descriptions of what changes need to be made to my skiing technique to be both useful and easily accessible in the lessons that I've had with her, as have many of my friends, both snowHeads and non snowHeads.
ski holidays
It is probably a combination of ski + boot + skier.

Edge better. Get snugger shoes. And build leg muscles.

A few private lessons should help.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, It seems to be a disagreement about the physics of what should happen, and a simple explanation of what you actually feel (or what the original poster is seeking to feel). It always seems to me that many of the pros on here assume I don't actually understand the forces etc, just because I reduce explanations to the simplest form possible!
latest report
easiski, I'm not assuming anything (you know what they say about assuming), and although i know next to nothing about you you obviously have an excellent reputation on these fora.

I quite agree that we must reduce these concepts to the simplest forms possible for 'client consumption' (though obviously we have to understand the physics/mechanics behind it, which I'm sure you do).
I'm sure we can agree to disagree on our individual diagnoses for the OP ...

How many ski instructors does it take to change a light bulb???
Doesn't matter, sooner or later they'll all start arguing over how to change it anyway... wink
snow report
Quote:

How many ski instructors does it take to change a light bulb???

10, one to acually change the bulb and the other nine to analyse every turn wink wink
snow report
Or if you're in the states :

10, one to actually change the bulb and the other nine to say : "Hey, nice turns dude!"
latest report
Surely the only way to get pressure onto the front of the ski, and thus to bend the ski is collapse, relax, flop. whatever youcall it, into the front of the boot. My vote goes to Easiski.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
It seems to me that this is a total non-argument, and is (quelle surprise) actually only about semantics.

If you keep a totally stiff leg then the instantaneous pressure applied at the edge will be greater. However, since you'll end up bouncing around and not being able to control it, the sustained (controlled) pressure at the edge over a longer period will end up being less. So relax, let your flex absorb the bumps and enjoy the ride. Very Happy
snow report
brian, if I lock my leg I also find it much harder to come off the edge and crossover onto my other ski. Much easier to control the pressure, and manage it better, by flexing.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Stand on your skis. Now rock forwards and backwards. As you do this you are changing the pressure distribution along the ski. Simple. No collapsing required.

There are many ways of getting pressure on to the front of the ski.

But hey, what would I know? Puzzled
snow report
offpisteskiing, more than me thats for sure. Your method would unbalance me, surely?
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, there are lots of ways we can move on our skis: fore & aft, laterally, up & down, rotationally... All of these done appropriately may enhance our skiing (& balance). Done inappropriately (timing, rate, range, duration) may be ineffective and/or send us out of balance...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy