Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Clinic Feedback.

Poster: A snowHead
Any of you that bought boots and/or attended the 'Lockwoods Boot Clinic', we would like to hear from you. Any feedback would be appreciated but with an eye to the way your skiing has changed due to the fitting.
Please PM me your comments.
Steve.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you could copy me in also it would be good Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....or you could post them here and we could all be nosy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So far they are really good on carpet, what's left of it. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Headplant, i believe there is a good floorign contractor on the forum, i am sure he will do you a good pricefor a replacement....come to think about it prehaps i should be handing his card sout with every purchase Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, It's a big problem for us amateurs and arm chair skiers. Blush SZK did say to keep an eye on the toe and heal for wear and not to leave it too long before replacing them as the screws can be difficult to get out. This would be after a few years constant use I thought but as I'm nearer to Bicester than the slopes I'm wearing the boots as slippers hence the carpet problem, although at this rate I think I may need the toe and heal replaced before the boots even see a ski. Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tried them at the dry slope at Brentwood and found my usual tightening over the right foot was too much. Adjusted down a notch and ran OK. No huge difference to my skiing but what can I expect on plastic? Really looking forward to the good stuff in February Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others will testify my skiing was markedly improved. Put it this way, on my last run I inadvertently skied in with my right buckles all undone & didn't put a foot wrong. I'm still getting pain in my feet but not to the same degree of agony previously experienced & the discomfort is a bit more localised which has given me some ideas on how to deal with it. All in all, I'm very pleased. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mine were great doing the hoovering. Toofy Grin I skiied in them at MK last night for the first time and they're extremely snug and slightly crampy, but my skis did exactly what my feet told them and that felt fantastic.

I'm looking forward to skiing on them properly in two weeks, but I think I'll be one of those skiers who undoes their boots on the lifts, for a while at least. But then NZK said that would happen, and who am I to disbelieve him Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mine are still very snug and the problem of tightness over the top of my right toes has eased. Only tried them the once at MK and they will be allright, I think.

I haven't worn them at home for a few weeks now but I did get the start of blisters around the heal so will start wearing them again to see how that goes..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After the initial agony at the realli-ski place mine have bedded in nicely they are snug but fit well. my skiing has improved, I feel I have better control. no faffing about tightening/loosening, just buckle and go.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had two weeks on snow plus several sessions on plastic with my boots (Atomic MTech 110, plus Conform'able PU Comp foam liners, new footbeds and 6mm[?] heel lifts). The boots were selected to fit my unusual shaped feet, and were blown out before fitting started. Overall they have been the least problematic boots I've had. For the first week of skiing there was a bit of discomfort down the outside of my left foot - not from being squeezed too much by the boot, but more of a dull ache. I discussed this with SZK and he said it might be a footbed issue, but as it no longer happens I've not gone back for a fitting check. There's only just enough room across the top of my instep to fasten buckle No.2 to its loosest setting, but that's OK. No pain there, just not a lot of room. At some point I might want to talk about getting a bit more hold around the heel area. It's good at the moment, with no heel lift, but sometimes I think I'd like a bit more pressure there so that I can really feel the boot. At Lockwoods SZK foamed my left foot and NZK foamed my right foot - happy to report no differences between either liner Smile

These are the stiffest boots I've ever skied in. The first day in Tignes (when it was cold) I was shocked at how stiff they were, and it took a couple of days to get used to it. But once I'd got a feel for them I really liked them Smile So, good choice of shell from SZK and NZK. The course that I did last week involved a lot of slow skiing so I removed the top bolt from the plate, and skied with clips loose or sometimes entirely undone. This seemed to work out OK.

Since the initial Boot Clinic I've had a session with Andi McCann to look at my alignment. I've had 3 degree shims fitted into both boots, and checked alignment with and without the heel lifts - decided to keep the heel lifts in. With these changes I feel I've got a bit more 'open' flexure of the ankle and a better feel for toe-side edges, so a subtle but noticeable change in how I get on with the boots.

Overall, the four hours I spent in the fitting chair at the Boot Clinic was more than worthwhile. It was also a fun morning, being royally entertained by assorted bootfitters and fellow snowHeads. Next year we just need more Red Bull...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The pork pie was delicious.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still breaking mine in in the living room. Slightly concerned that they may be a little too tight, but can't give proper judgement or feedback until I've tried them on snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Similar to above, fine on carpet so far. Five more days before I can find out in real snow.
snow report
I've now had about 12 hours on plastic, since CEM fitted new boots. First impressions were that they were very snug, infact for the first couple of hours the left one took some getting used to, but happily it seems to have settled in well.
Couple of things that stand out since the fitting:
The flex and rebound of the boots, compared to my XW10's these Nordice SpeedMachine 14's provide much more controlable flex, with the booster strap providing great feedback an control.

Ski control - didn't really appreciate the difference at first, but I do seem to have much more control in these boots - and this was certainly highlighted last night.
Skiing on frost covered Snowflex on one ski for most of an hour. These drills have always caused me some probems, but over the last 2 weeks, have made huge improvements, and can now ski on one leg through a couple of linke turns Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mr GF and myself both had new boots fitted at the Boot Clinic. until now we have always hired boots, but since finding Snowheads have realised the importance of well fitting boots.

Seb fitted mine, Nordica SM8s - I'd been wearing them in at home, initially they felt incredibly tight and crampy, but after a few hours doing the ironing (standing up and practicing flexing my ankles) they were a bit better. Just back from a week in Les Gets with the children - skied all day every day, no boot discomfort they now just feel snug, my ski-ing still has a long way to go but my confidence has improved as my feet are no longer sliding around in hire boots. Seb thought I might need one boot stretched just a little at the toe as one foot is one size bigger than the other and he fitted for the smaller foot, but even that is fine. The other thing I used to suffer from with hire boots was bruising at the front of my shins (again I think because they were too big?) but no pain or bruising at all now. I felt my ability to turn when and where I wanted to increased, similarly my ability to make shorter turns.

Mr GF had Atomic B Tech 90 boots fitted by CEM. He was very sceptical about the whole process and anxious that his boots were too tight across the widest part of his foot. First couple of days skiing he said he was uncomfortable, and always unclipped, or even took them off at drinks/lunch stops, but by day three they were feeling better. He comments they are the best fit around heel and ankle that he has ever had, and he feels he is ski-ing the best ever - certainly he looks as if he is ski-ing better to me.

So, thanks guys
snow conditions
I didn't go to the boot clinic but had new Atomic MTech 110's & custom footbeds supplied & fitted recently by CEM with alignment work & shims done by Andi McCann at the same time. The 8/9mm shell gap wasn't enough for Zipfit liners as originally planned so we went with the stock liner. Initially they were very tight especially as Andi's shims remove quite a bit of volume but I had about 13 hours in them at home, including flexing them in my bindings watching TV, before they hit the slopes.

They've now just done their first week & I must say that I was concerned that they might be too tight but after a bit of discomfort for the first 15-20 minutes of each day they could then be tightened another notch & were then were fine for rest of the day. I slackened them off a tad over lunch but had no problem leaving them snicked up on lifts etc. The clog buckles have no tension in them at all & are fully unwound & on the first clasp so the clog is obviously holding my foot very snuggly.

As rob@rar commented above, the M110's do stiffen up considerably in the cold compared to when they're at room temperature - a much bigger change in stiffness than my old Tecnica's. They are certainly difficult to remove at the end of the day when cold.

I've played around with removing the two bolts & like Rob I've removed the top bolt from the plate which gives more flex than removing the lower one (you always have to have one bolt in place) but the increase in flex seems only very slight. I am concerned about them being too stiff (especially when flex mad Warren Smith sees me at the end of Jan), however they ski really great especially at speed so I'm thinking that my old Diablo Fire's were actually quite soft & it's because I was used to them that these seem so stiff, especially as I've dropped a couple of stone in the last few months.

My one-legged drills show that Andi's shims are spot on as expected & as I'd had the soles of my old Tecnica's planed to the same spec I wasn't aware of any difference on the snow in this respect. Andi's test rig show I balanced best with 2mm of toe lift which like Rob's set-up gives a more open ankle. This again mirrored the set-up on my old Tecnica's. The toe lugs on the Atomics are hollow & can't be routed so we couldn't fit toe lifts to the boots. Luckily VIST make various thicknesses of shims for their bindings (they'll work with any bindings & I have them in stock wink) so I simply raised the binding toe pieces to the required height/delta angle & I felt extremely well balanced on my skis.

Overall I'm very happy with the boots so thanks again to Colin & Andi.
ski holidays
SZK & CEM what do you reckon an Atomic MTech 110 would be Tecnica's flex scale?
latest report
spyderjon, All flex tests are now aligned as best as can be, given construction and Polymer/Co-Polymer differentials. Tecnica suffer in the Diablo range given the open throat/cat flap construction. Tests are conducted at 22°c and require 10° of flex (Lange 7°).
snow conditions
Still wearing them around the house and the one session in the fridge doesn't count as there were too many variables going on at the same time.... new boots, crap awful skis, 1st time out for 8 months.... bla bla

The shell seems nice and stiff at room temps so don't know how this will transfer to real snow. Fit is snug as can be and probably too tight at this stage. I am not at all worried about this atm.

I will put them on as we speak as I have only a couple of weeks to go....
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
spyderjon, All flex tests are now aligned as best as can be, given construction and Polymer/Co-Polymer differentials. Tecnica suffer in the Diablo range given the open throat/cat flap construction. Tests are conducted at 22°c and require 10° of flex (Lange 7°).

Thanks for that. Yep, I can see how the Tecnica construction will make it feel pretty soft.

How come Lange only test at 7 degree flex?
ski holidays
spyderjon, Internal ramp/zeppa angles.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is the Atomic M110 unusual in how it gets much stiffer in the cold, or is that typical of new boots these days.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, is the Atomic M110 unusual in how it gets much stiffer in the cold, or is that typical of new boots these days.

Good question Rob.
latest report
Quote:

but my skis did exactly what my feet told them

RachelQ, I just thought I'd catch up on this thread and find out how everyone got on. I had to smile when I saw the above comment - I can't help thinking that I'd be in big trouble if my skis did that Laughing Laughing
snow report
Mine are very comfortable whilst sitting here typing - once on the slurpes I'll let you known. Laughing
latest report
Back from Serre Chevalier yesterday... first two days, no problems, third day, a burning under my left toes - but experimenting led me to believe this was due to the bunching up of my sock. Had no problems at all on the last few days and (with help from EurekaSKI) feel my skiing has come on another level again Very Happy

Great work SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks again!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, I had a little problem with my right boot only but a slight adjustment and everything was hunky dory ! snowHead

A very satisfied customer. The Pork Pie was also of excellent quality !
ski holidays
Mine are great... still feeling my way through buckling them up but that is the only problem or rather issue I have had.
Very snug and responsive fit that was so tight (good..!!) I skied with a minor blistering from about day 3...can't recall how I got it but once the boots were on tight, they never moved and the blister never developed, so that was pretty impressive.

I think the boots are great and I have a different stance now, which I am liking. It confuses me sometimes and I have seen some stuff on video to correct but I am skiing ok. These skiing adjustments are about the boot being different but the g-fit is superb in my view.
Why did I wait so long to do this...?

and why doesn't everyone go down this route. It really is chalk and cheese, IMO..!!!!

Yup, pork pies were good as well....
snow report
6.5 weeks on and mine are as good as they have always been.
ski holidays
Just got back from 8 days on the snow, and the boots are damn fine. Even though they had seen a fair bit of use on the dry slope over the last couple of months, I was expecting some issues with the tightness of the left one (dry slope sessions were 1hr at time), however once I had a full day in them, they seemed to bed down really well with no pressure points.
Even managed to perfect my one legged drills down the green and blue runs, something which I have always struggled with, but can now do linked turns on either leg with reasonable ease, so that must be a testament to the fit of the boots and the feel and control that I know have.

2 small issues, did get very cold toes on a couple of days, something that I had not experienced before Shocked However the wind chill was maybe the cause.

And also managed to stub my big toe very hard into the end of the boot (Wouldn't have happened with my previous 'larger' boots Laughing ) - But this was more down to my inability to land properly rather than the boots. Madeye-Smiley

Thanks CEM
snow conditions
I'm still having a few problems with my boots I'm afraid. Sad
snow report
Went to see CEM a couple of weeks ago for some replacement liners for my Nordica boots bought at the first boot clinic. The liners (cosy plush ones) had split along a badly placed seam at the back of the boot, inside the liner and directly behind the heel and achilles. CEM sourced a new set of liners from Nordica under warranty with no problem, refitted them for me, and also made a bit of extra space at the front of each boot for my toes to sort an ongoing issue that I'd never got round to seeing him about. All this on a very busy Saturday and he had a stinking cold and nasty cough, but was still his usual cheery, helpful and professional self. So thanks yet again CEM - you're a star and it's always an education to see what you can do with a pair of ski boots - nothing ever seems to be a problem snowHead

Looking forward to using my sorted boots in about 4 weeks time Very Happy
snow conditions
I have had two weeks on snow with my boots. Very comfortable fit, no pressure areas. I have bad bunions, but no problems with usual cramps across forefoot I used to get. No longer have to loosen boots on chairs and at lunch, could wear them all day done up.

Another satisfied customer. Very Happy
snow conditions
I went to the first boot fit and was kitted out with a spanky pair of Nordica Speed Machine 14's. These have been fantastic except needing a little pushing out around the little toe area , this was done for me by Filarinskis , after my first week in them. Second time i left the footbeds at home for some unknown reason so some off the shelf ones and a bit of scissor handywork sorted that out. Sometimes when standing around my right toes feel like they are touching the front of the boot but when skiing are fine so i'm happy to leave alone. Very happy with my boots and the fit service. Thanks
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy