Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Area

Poster: A snowHead
I'm travelling to Geneva Xmas eve and want to get in some lessons and practice on xmas day/boxing day before I meet up with a group of more experienced skiiers.

I am a complete novice and never been anywhere near a ski resort before, though I am planning on having lessons (Diggerland in Kent, or MK Snowdome)

Can anyone suggest what my best course of action would be?

Whether it be staying in Geneva, hiring a car and travelling somewhere each day, or staying in a resort. What would be a suitable place for a beginner etc....

Any help greatfully recieved, thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be surprised if you can get any lessons on christmas day and boxing day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be surprised if you couldn't - Christmas Day and Boxing Days are normal days on the slopes, everything is open. where are you meeting your friends,big alf, that would make a difference to any recommendations. And welcome to snowheads. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with pam w, Normal day, normal work. big alf, Where are you going?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
big alf, WELCOME TO snowHead

I have no idea where halfhand, is coming from as tuition will be available.

Why not go to the same resort as your frinds? Failing that Les Gets . Morzine ( in France) ... really depends where you are meeting up ... Geneva nd daily drives are OK for those who know the area and what they are doing , but for a first-time visitor .... no way.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses guys.

I am meeting up with my brother who is Geneva based, so he just travels out to various places. And before you ask, yes I have asked him for advice but he's a miserable bug most of the time and impossible to get an answer out of! rolling eyes Laughing

He is tied up with work until the 27th though so I am just after somewhere to try and grow some snow legs and chill out for a couple of days.

Les Gets seems to keep popping up, is it reccomended? Is there a good rail/bus service or is a hire car a good choice?

Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
big alf, If I were Geneva based and looking for a couple of 'quick hits' without a car , I would go to a Swiss resort in Vaud/Valais by train ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well that's me told Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Les Gets seems to keep popping up, is it reccomended? Is there a good rail/bus service or is a hire car a good choice?

I can thouroughly reccomend, more of a family resort so ideal for relaxing (allowing for the odd ankle biter), and pretty close for Geneva. Don't imagine lessons would be too hard to come by, and lots of begginer terain. A very pretty place to.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
big alf, Les Gets would be fine, and it's an easy drive; no big hills. There is a v good ski school there - called British Alpine Ski School. There's been some argument here recently about whether they are good vfm, because they are expensive. Most people who have used them (though not all) have been pleased with the instruction. However, those are busy days, so there's no time to lose booking some private lessons. You'll need an instructor with you right at the start, then after a couple of hours you'll have things you can practice on your own for a bit. However there are other ski schools in Les Gets - do a search on the thread - and you might have to grab whatever you can get. As for transport, I'd hire a car - you need to make the most of a short time. Accommodation for odd days won't be easy. Can you stay with your brother in Gva? If you commute, you might find Flaine is closer (though up a rather steeper hill, if I remember rightly). That's very suitable for learning too.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
big alf, there is a good bus service from Geneva to Les Gets, www.altibus.com , the journey takes just under an hour and a half but a car would probably be more flexible. It's an easy drive of about an hour.

There are smaller, quieter resorts than Gets nearby where you might have more luck with a couple of nights booking, Praz de Lys for example.

If BASS prices make your eyes water, then try www.skisurf360.com who are an ESI franchise, good instructors, shocking website.

Edit: they've changed the website, much easier on the eye.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, New website Toofy Grin ( just a little better, and still changes to be made rolling eyes )

halfhand, Sorry Embarassed didnt mean to offend Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Gets is a good choice and hopefully the snow will still be there. It was last week!

Slightly off topic, I was speaking to the Director of our managment company and there is disquiet among many in the know. Les Gets had a particulary bad year last year and thery are very worried that if they dont have a good season they may be looking at a serious problem. A great shame as it is a wonderful place.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, S'ok Smile Never having been skiing at that time of year, I really didn't think that Christmas day and boxing day would be normal opening at ski resorts. Well ok Boxing Day but not 25th.

Roy Hockley, I'm off to Les Gets at Easter so here's hoping.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley,

Where do you fly from? (Just being nosey)
snow report
johnboy, Alas this normally means a couple of flights. Kerry/Shannon to Stansted/Gatwick or Luton then on to Geneva. Kerry to Dubllin and then to Geneva with Aer Lingus, Shannon to Bergamo and hire a car, last year we even tried Kerry to Frankfurt Hahn and drove down (6 Hours) We may not do this one again in a hurry!! However Swiss motorway cuisine if far preferable to Aer Rianta Dublin Fare .... By a long way!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy