Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too Much Snow ????

Poster: A snowHead
OK, everyone I think its wake up time.

Yes. its fantastic that such early snow has fallen and given everyone great hope for the season.

But remember Galtur was only 9 years ago!!

Therefore, it maybe wise to start thinking about where you are skiing ie off piste, have you heeded local warnings, are you equipped, do you know the protocols for skiing in dangerous areas.

Also in 1999, a lot of the ski resorts in Austria closed for several weeks, people were under curfews in the resorts, due to the amount of snow and unsafe conditions.

So me thinks its time for cold temperatures and blue skies for a bit.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-12-07 15:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That was an El Nina year as well I read somewhere
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Despite the devastation Silvrettatal in (Galtur,Zee,Kappl,Maton, Ischgl) 1999 none of the big slides were in the ski areas. All towns were in lockdown.

The snow Austria has been getting since Novemeber 8th is perfect as warm spells & rain between the dumps is compacting the base.

Im sure however, it will not be long before the first fatality is reported as the Tirol risk is currently posted as 3 which is when most people think its Ok & get caught. More folk are killed at level 3 than any other level
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton,

Someone killed in an avalanche in Switzerland yesterday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Right on cue Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apparently he was swiss and was out skinning with friends when they triggered the avalanche, he was found under about a metre of snow, probably because he had a transceiver. Tis the season, so "Be carefull out there..." Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it this guy he is dead? He is 32yr old Frenchman & the first victim of the (Swiss) season

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_454594.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just found this inquest video about the the six Swiss army recruits who were killed back in July on the northern flank of the Jungfrau mountain,
The men had scaled about 3,800m of the 4,158m (13,642ft) peak when the accident occurred.

http://media.espace.ch//files/480956_lawine.rm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some one got caught in a slide in St Anton yesterday so the gossip goes but survived Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
redrunmarcus wrote:
That was an El Nina year as well I read somewhere

El Nino drier and La Nina which is wetter at least in states. No such thing as a El Nina.

I always love those major dumps where you have so much snow you can't even go down the steepest run on the mtn.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arlberg, crikey, I'd never heard of Galtur, have just read about it on Wikipedia. Shocking stuff! Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arlberg, a good reminder to all of us.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tommy10pages wrote:
arlberg, crikey, I'd never heard of Galtur, have just read about it on Wikipedia. Shocking stuff! Shocked

Discovery Channel did a program on the Galtur disaster.

Galtur disaster in Full

http://air.droessler.at/berichte/Galtuer/index.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, I saw a programme on Discovery about it, one of their Seconds from Disaster series I think. They still show it quite often either that or it was on the National Geographic Channel, can't remember now. Anyway, they show the series quite often so it should be easy enough to find.. even with my lousy description!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ive seen that programme.

it was shocking, houses in the red zone(largest threat of avalancehe).

The avalanche ploughed its way through into the green zone(avalanche risk free supposidly) knocking down housing etc
snow report
This page from the BBC website makes interesting reading about the disaster. Lot's of eye-witness accounts and details of the subsequent research on the disaster. Very thought provoking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/1999/avalanche_script.shtml
latest report
This is one of the photos form the site above which best shows the slide path

http://air.droessler.at/berichte/Galtuer/Galtuer/galtuer_mstatistikbild1.htm
ski holidays
Avalanches are more a factor of the layers of snow than the amount and how well the layers bond together. Low snow years with lots of Cold clear nights can be a lot worse than years with a lot of snow. That being said. A dump of 2' of heavy snow definately has high avalanche potential it is really what type of layer this new snow falls on that determines avalanche hazards
ski holidays
Yup far too much snow,

http://pas-de-la-casa-grau-roig.andorramania.com/ultimes-imatges.php

hopefully it will stop by the time I get to Pas de al casa next weekend snowHead ........ Sad
latest report
Proper Job's comforters you lot. It's only just started snowing and already your thining about dying. Yep v.sorry for anyone caught in avalanche and never been in one myself but avalanches are an occupational hazard where snow and mountains are concerned.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Proper Job's comforters you lot. It's only just started snowing and already your thining about dying. Yep v.sorry for anyone caught in avalanche and never been in one myself but avalanches are an occupational hazard where snow and mountains are concerned.

The folks who dont prepare (forward think) are 99% the victims Sad
latest report
halfhand wrote:

Halfhand,

I'd sooner being reading messages from you rather than about you.

The purpose of the thread was to make people realise that there is a lot of snow out there to have fun in, but as always not even all the training in the world can prevent an avalanche from happening.

Its not about dying, its about making sure you can ski again next holiday or next year!!
snow report
arlberg, An intelligent thread, with a good purpose. Are you adopted? Toofy Grin
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
arlberg, An intelligent thread, with a good purpose. Are you adopted? Toofy Grin

Frosty something got lost in the bloodline somewhere
snow report
(Ober)Lech: 7 Dec 10:13:
It is pissing rain here and is doing so all the way up to 2100m Sad Sad
The good news is this is only going to last till this afternoon and then it turns cold and will snow snow snow Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
They have more snow here than they have had in the last twenty years! It's the first time that anyone can remember that you have ben able to do the Madloch circuit (Lech-Zürs-Zug-Lech) at the beginning of December! Things are shaping up for a fantastic season Toofy Grin
snow conditions
If you get a nice dump, then a load of rain onto it, then a new fresh dump, how does that knit together? Does it reduce avalanche risk or increase?
snow conditions
tommy10pages wrote:
If you get a nice dump, then a load of rain onto it, then a new fresh dump, how does that knit together? Does it reduce avalanche risk or increase?

Tommy10pages,

From what I've gleaned over the years, there is no definite answer.
It is a combination of many factors including, temperature, atmos pressure, moisture content ........

This link may help, they are considered the leading authority on Europe on causes.

http://www.slf.ch/welcome-en.html
snow conditions
arlberg, Have you checked out their (SLF Davos) "white Risk" CD rom? Mine arrived yesterday it is a self tutorial, at €uros 21.5 it is well worth getting.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today

Tirol Avalanche Risk

http://www.lawine.at/content.html?_content=uebersicht&_rgn=RGN16at

Voralberg

http://www.vorarlberg.at/lawine/
snow report
Guys. The conditions now are not even close to what they were when the avalanche went down in Galtür. That year we had almost no snow followed by an enormous dump. This is not even comparable. Forget it. Enjoy the early winter.
It's now snowing again by the way Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy