Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have I made the right decision?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I only get to go skiing about once a year, this year will be leading my schools ski trip and all skiing will be on-piste. I have used a Mountain Hardware jacket for the last few years, it's never been that comfortable and now it is time for a change but I've been out of the loop as far as current clothing is concerned. I can't afford more than £200 and it is important to try the jacket on as I don't want a repeat of the MH. So I've been looking around, I want more breathability than GoreTex so I looked at things like the Keela Munro (no stockist near me), Furtech (looks good except for the seethrough visor which I just don't like and it's mail order only), Pile & Pertex Buffalo/Montagne, Softshells like the Rab Baltoro Guide. I was in my local outdoor shop which is a Paramo premier dealer and has a good range and I have settled on the Velez Adventure which seems to get recommendations. However doubt has been sewn by a colleague who said (while laughing) that the Paramo was great if I wanted to look like a 'British skier', he is wearing an Arcteryx soft shell (must be paid more than me!!).

So the questions are:

1. Is the Paramo Velez adventure a good choice for skiing?
2. Will I look a complete dork in it on the slopes?
3. Would a softshell like the Rab Baltoro Guide be a better choice?

We are going to Switzerland (Wengen) in mid Feb 08.

Many thanks for any replies.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO you can wear what you like as long as its waterproof and warm. Don't be put off by the fashionistas Evil or Very Mad

That said I'm not familiar with the brands you have mentioned but if they work for you then don't worry
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Malcy, You see so mnay different outfits on the slope, that it is almost impossible to look out of place unless you are wearing swimwear (and not always even then).

Don't worry too much about looks, comfort is by far the ,most important thing on the slopes. Anybody who thinks looks are more important isn't a real skier snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Malcy, Ask yourself this - can you remember, without consulting photos, what anyone else was wearing the last time you went to a ski slope? Or indeed what anyone was wearing the last time you walked around a shop. The answer is probably no and similarly no-one will remember what you wear. Go with whats comfy and serviceable and don't worry.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Malcy wrote:
However doubt has been sewn by a colleague who said (while laughing) that the Paramo was great if I wanted to look like a 'British skier', he is wearing an Arcteryx soft shell (must be paid more than me!!).

I would ditch the dodgy colleague, for a start. He sounds like a complete loser.

I am sure, if you think about it, you will have the confidence to wear any label - provided it does the job. There was nothing wrong with C&A in its day.

If you really want to look British - which may be important with a gang of kids in tow - a Union Jack bobble hat will do the trick.

Otherwise, a football hat (especially non-Premier League) will ensure you are not mistaken for Johnny Foreigner.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Latchigo, my favourite designer was Rod E O. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PsychoBabble, I still have a pair of Rod's salopettes and some of his inexpensive, but hardwearing Snowboard gauntlets which I picked up for a fiver in a sale. I never got any stuff from his more exclusive mate EVF though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks, I'll fly the flag proudly.

The person in question isn't a bad sort really, just being a bit thoughtless on this occasion. Still, I know who is the better skier. Toofy Grin

Quote:
If you really want to look British - which may be important with a gang of kids in tow - a Union Jack bobble hat will do the trick.

Sadly, we are not allowed to take the kids on the slopes ourselves these days unless we have full strength ski instructor/leader qualifications. That used to be great fun before we became bogged down with safety regs and I don't think that the accident figures on school parties are really any different because of them.

p.s. I will admit to a yellow/green/purple Nevica jacket back in about 1990. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Malcy wrote:

p.s. I will admit to a yellow/green/purple Nevica jacket back in about 1990. Embarassed

I had an apple green Nevica two piece with pink and purple and blue flashs. My all-time favourite ski outfit. One day it will come back into fashion. They should have just stopped after Nevica. They had achieved perfection. Afterwards it was all that baggy clothing rubbish and grunge. Still I suppose clothing manufacturers have to earn a living too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latchigo, I sadly outgrew (girth) my aubergine all in one, which was one of Rods' best efforts!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Malcy, plese excuse the previous posters rolling eyes and welcome to snowHeads snowHead

In Wengen, you'll be fine. Loads of people wear kit that looks at least 30 years old wink Seriously though, you'll be fine.

I'm sure that you can ski with your kids........just tag along at the back of the group wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the welcome Elizabeth R, this is a useful forum to find. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy