Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pros and cons Verbier or courmayeur for a short break

Poster: A snowHead
we are planning a short trip (sunday to wednesday) to the alps in march just before easter and are being advised to try either verbier or courmayeur
was looking for the pros and cons of each so we can decide on which one
we are a party of six inc three non skiers, who all enjoy a good night out
any help would be great
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Neilski, 3 non-skiers? What do they plan to do for the weekend? If not much then I would suggest Courmayeur if you have a car. Plenty of great skiing for you guys and loads to do the non-skiers.

And that's from someone who's pretty biased towards Verbier.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Having just spent about 30 man-hours organising a short break in verbier for Sunday-Thursday in early January for 2 peeps, I can tell you that it's not easy and it's not cheap - and it'll be harder in peak season when you're looking... most places only take week long bookings...

I ended up with 2 accomodation options, at bizarrely different ends of the social/price spectrum. 4 days in a dorm in The Bunker (www.thebunker.ch) at a very...er... cheap 115CHF for 4 days (!!) or 4 days B&B in a junior suite at the Kings Parc hotel at ...er... more than 115chf per night! (www.kingsverbier.ch). There were other hotels which looked awful and still cost $$$

Courmayeur then.... although I can't comment on it's suitability for non-skiers...

Good nights out are to be had in most ski-resorts in March in my experience... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, we are going for my sons 21st , and the non skiers are my old lady and my two sons girlfriends, they are just planning on easy days in the town with maybe lunch on the mountain one day, and a couple of nights out, and of course a bit of shopping maybe.
is a car necessary, cause i don't think the girls will be up for driving rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courmayeur - cable car from the village can be a bottleneck, and lugging the skis up and down each day can be tiresome. Shouldn't be too busy that time in the season though........ Cool

CD.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neilski,

First time I read it as "My sons two girlfriends"!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, he should be so lucky !!!!!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Neilski, obviously I love it here and there is enough for three ladies to do for four days. It depends how kind you want to be. Better for you guys: Verbier, better for the ladies: Courmayeur.

If the ladies aren't driving then I would have thought Courmayeur would be boring unless it's easy to get a bus into Aosta etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, did you get it sorted? I tried to PM you but I can't from at the bottom of this Crevasse! E-mail me if you're still looking.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, I did sort something thanks, at great expense in the Kings Parc Confused My trouble was I needed a fussy combination of single rooms and a short stay...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, actually verbier is looking favourite staying at the Hotel Nevai, out mid afternoon on the sunday and back home late evening on the wednesday, couldnt get in at the weekend evidently some big event on the 15th march. do you know this hotel they say it has been recently refurbished and uprated to a four star, what do you think???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neilski, The Nevai... hmmm... used to be called the Rhianndra or similar - it's the one with the Farm sloane-a-thon disco in the basement right? Hope you like boom-boom-boom euro-cheese til 6 in the morning wink seriously looks a lovely Hotel - same chain as the gaff I'm off to. must have cost a few E's lol
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neilski, if the Nevai used to be the Rhodania it is a good hotel but...If the Farm Club is still thumping away at night definitely get rooms on the upper floors. I actually had to keep the TV on all night to balance out the noise from the disco and nothing keeps me up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jack, Rhodania - that's the one, thanks Jack.... can't think why they renamed it lol although they do claimed to have sound proofed the Farm so the fergie and co should be slightly less audible...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neilski, Why?

I mean, why Verbier or Courmayeur? If it's height, 1. height doesn't always matter (a bit like length) and 2. Courmayeur's ski sureness is mostly man made.

Neither seems to offer a huge (excess) amount to the non skier.

Neither has a particularly short transfer for a short trip.

Neither particularly cheap.

Would submit;

Aosta (real town so lots for non skiers) and I'm sure there's enough local skiing for 3 days, I mean, how much do you need?

Cortina (real town so lots for non skiers) and definitely enough skiing for a long weekend.

Zermatt - assuming links into Cervinia operate late-ish season but probably not best transfer
ski holidays
David Murdoch, my reason for suggesting Courmayeur was because of how close it is to Aosta.

Neilski, I'm sure they'll have it finished by March! It looks very nice, see comments above! The girls will like it! Did you try the Hotel Farinet? Always a giggle there.
latest report
David Murdoch, ski convienence and short transfers are key so not zermatt , but aosta was a possible, cortina seems a bit fragmented but nothing booked yet
what about your home town chamonix ???
parlor, thanks, after above comments now not sure about that hotel , will have to look into a bit more

at the moment we can get good flight times to geneva so i think best to get them booked then go from there , any other suggestions would be most welcome, are all chalets week only or do some do weekends or midweek ??
snow conditions
Neilski, Yep, Chamonix would be good bet - lots of things to do. Good nights out. Accommodation might be interesting and or tricky - could try the Vallee Blanche hotel? - or the tourist office?
snow report
Verbier out of town is Martigny and I am not sure what that offers...but they could go for a train ride into Chamonix which would be a day out... take the Midi up for the views. That could be the high-light of the trip, if they can be bothered. In fact, take the car and do the VB, maybe... that way you get most of the travelling up the hill sorted for them..!!!!

Courmayeur is a bit on it own...unless you get down to Aosta, but we normally stay up in Val Ferret which is a walking area and a 5-10 min drive from the resort. I would think you might have to be committed hikers to do much from there and you'd need to use the car to get out of there. If they aren't giong to get on their bike, it would be the wrong place to park, but if they can, then it is a remote starting point.

Put it this way, if they just want a a few shops and a cafe then I'd bin both resorts and go to the Junfrau and they can get the mountain train down to Interlaken... that would sort the girls and you can ski Wengen..!!!
Or Engelberg and Lucerne which would be about 40 mins by train or so...

Geneva-Chamonix needs a car really, ( 1 hr max) Geneva- Martigny is train and post bus, IIRC and 90mins.
latest report
Neilski - personally, I'd go with Chamonix - primarily because there'll be plenty to do for the non-skiers.

You could also consider Megeve. Not as much to do as Chamonix, but it's definitely got more of a focus on non-skiers than many resorts. It's not as snow-sure as Chamonix, but Easter is very, very early this year and conditions are likely to mirror what you'd get in Les Houches.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, one option may be to take a chalet for a week but only use it for sunday to thursday , could this be cost affective for six people, am sure the chalet owners would appreciate an extra couple of days off wink
JT, thanks we have been to grindlewald for a weekend years ago , but not thought about wengen and interlarken , this justs gets harder to choose all the time rolling eyes
snow conditions
David Murdoch, PhillipStanton,chamonix it is, have booked great deal, sunday to wednesday in les houches, nice hotel , flights,transfers, guiding, and ski passes all in Laughing

looking for a recommendation for a great restaurant in chamonix for a monday night for my sons 21st that i can book in advance so as to be sure, any ideas ???
snow report
Neilski, Well done, you'll like Les Houches.

If it has re-opened, without shadow of a doubt, "Le Bistrot" in the Hotel Morgane. Chef ex-Albert premier, Michelin rosette, trendy re-fit and just the most amazing food. Limited menu but our favourite.
snow conditions
Neilski, sounds like an good choice! Maybe the ladies might like a day in the spa at St Gervais too? Might be a nice treat. See in the hotel can arrange transport, it's not far from les Houches.
http://www.thermes-saint-gervais.com/
There's a spa in the Albert Premier too, in Chamonix
http://www.hameaualbert.fr/

Don't miss the Vielles Luges restaurant on the slopes, it would be a lovely place to meet for lunch. It doesn't take cards though, and you need to book.

Le Bistrot is supposed to be great. There's also a nice restaurant in Les Houches called Le Delice where I've had some excellent food.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy