Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth marking skis, if so where and how is best?

Poster: A snowHead
I know locking skis isn't a bad idea in some scenarios, but what about marking them so that you can tell your own set apart if there happens to be several sets of the same model in a rack at the same time? Is it worth doing this and if so where and how is the best way to do this? Is it worth making the marks removable at some point in case you ever want to sell the skis.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Snowhead stickers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always mark my skis after I nearly had some new ones stolen and the "thief" claimed he had muddled them up with his own. I use stickers and a felt tip pen which can be removed but not easily I think it makes them look a lot less attractive to a thief.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, I just stick to locking them otherwise i'd spend my lunch's worried they were going to go walkies without me!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnnyboy, I'd considered the stickers, but the new skis have a sort of textured rippled surface that I think would make stickers difficult to apply to the ski top surface.

I don't know if its worth investing in a lock for MK on Thursday - its a special ski test evening and I guess that could mean lots of folks would be about with a mind to taking skis on and off. I don't intend to take mine off to test any others (but saying that, who actually knows how things will pan out). I might at least mark them before I go just so that folks know that they are privately owned ones.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, if you get a chisel, you'll find the bottom of the ski is fairly soft and you can chisel your name in it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B,
I usually do that with the rocks but my signature is fairly illegible anyway.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Ive marked mine with a Dymo type label stuck on the sole of my bindings.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B, rolling eyes Thanks!!

Sage, jbob, Useful suggestions, thanks. I've been looking at them (good excuse to go and get them out). I don't know if it has a special name but very close to the end of the toe is a piece of metal roughly in the shape of the half hoop - it looks as though it some sort of reinforcement for the toe (lots of skis seem to have them) - I wonder if it is worth etching that with a postcode? Any comments on that as a suggestion would be gratefully appreciated.

Also, the skis have a number worked into the top coat along the edge of the built up raised area of alongside the bindings - its the same on each ski - does anyone know if this is already a unique registration/ID number for this set of skis that ELAN build into the design and therefore worth making a note of?

I'm just rather attached them (as you've already guessed) and they are new, shiney and portable!! and I know how some folks do walk off with other peoples skis wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, buy yourself a cheap retractable cable lock (combination). It takes seconds to lock them and you can rest safe. My lock could be cut by a pair of bolt cutters, but it will dter the casual thief or "mixer-upper".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, another vote for a cable lock, cheap enough also
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, your name in permanent marker, on the base ptex under the ski tips. Refresh at every base grind. The one advantage of non-black bases.

and, yes, it is the production serial number.

Reinforcement for the toe? Puzzled Puzzled Huh? *

*Edit: Do you by any chance mean the delamination protector at the tips of the skis? If so, sure, personalise it, why not.
Sorry, your terminology threw me for a spin; I spent like three minutes looking at the Tyrolia toepieces from every angle, trying to find a half hoop.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
Reinforcement for the toe? Puzzled Puzzled Huh? *

*Edit: Do you by any chance mean the delamination protector at the tips of the skis? If so, sure, personalise it, why not.

Like this? 4 pairs of B2s, 3 rental (with protection), 1 'owned' (no protection).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandMohel, that's what I interpreted Megamum to mean, yes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, Very helpful - Will do all I think, and hope to get a proper lock at Crimble - its on my wish list. I will also make a note of the serial number somewhere - it might be useful one day.

FenlandSkier, comprex, Yes, I think the bit on the toe must do the same task. The pictures on the rental skis seem to show something that fully covers the complete outer edge of the ski and appear to tuck just around both sides onto the front and the back - something that would be a U shape in profile. The ELANS have something more like a horseshoe without any surface indentation it fastens by means of two rivets/screws and sits back about an 1/8th of an inch from the edge of the ski just on the top surface. However, it would indeed be very servicable to prevent delamination and I expect this is what it must be for, now its been suggested. Sorry, I was just stuck for the correct terminology and possible function, all I knew was I'd seen similar bits on skis before.
latest report
Megamum, not a problem, the confusion arose as I usually reserve "toe" for boot or binding toe, i.e. relating to an actual human foot.
snow report
comprex, The error may have been mine Embarassed I've just thought 'toe? did I call it toe' and re-read what I posted above. Clearly what I should have said was 'tip' - and I talked about for skis for long enough now to know that. Sorry Embarassed
ski holidays
Is it worth it? If you think it will divert sticky-fingered attention away then yes. Where? At home, before you leave. How? With some sort of contrasting marker.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy