Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Cams

Poster: A snowHead
After skiing with an old steam powered cam corder for many years, I am thinking of splashing out on a helmet cam.

Somme good stuff at actioncameras.co.uk, I especially like the Tony Hawks wireless helemet cam for £80. http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/acatalog/Tony_Hawks.html
This is a complete system, no need for anything else, apart from a memory card. Wired systems need gto plugged into an existing camcorder.
I don't expect DVd quality stuff, but some good images of us skiing would be great

Anyone got any experience good or bad will be appreciated.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
320x240 resolution is awful - no better than a cameraphone. I very much doubt it can write much more than 15fps either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got one that does 640x480, cannot remember the fps for it though, and I get about half an hour on a 1G card but for some reason it refused to read larger cards. I think it was from Oregon Scientific, via ebay, and whilst It wasn't the best available it's perfectly adequate for what I wanted and a lot easier than trying to carry a camera of anyform whilst also staying upright.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What's wireless about the top one ?

I think a few people recommend these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Scientific-ATC2K-ATC2000-Action/dp/B000F5FKHI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196694353&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the ATC2k as well.
Does the job Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems to have mixed reviews, how does the ATC2k do on snow with regards to fast skiing/jumps etc.?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMHO at the moment if you want any sort of quality you still need to be looking at a headcam that plugs into a camcorder (generally needs analogue In capability). Nothing I have seen or heard of comes close with regards to reasonable quality and ease of use for editing (ie with this its all on the miniDV tape...). I use a sony headcam from rf concepts which gives pretty damn fine performance though it isn't super cheap (+£100) the lens and the chip perform well even in comparison to the sony camcorder + carl Zeiss optics.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
See if you can get Rob@rar's attention: he bought one last year, and has posted footage from it on here. Seems pretty good to me.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bit of a hijack... but any ideas on these two products:

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/acatalog/ActionCam_480.html

and

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Ski_Package_.html

The camcorder in the ski package seems to be listed under a solid-state recorder in that site... But nowhere else seems to indicate that it is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.
I like the look of that water proof one as I kayak as well !

Sarge
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went for the Action Camera ATC 2K.

The picture quality is good enough. The sound is aweful (not bothered about that though)

Version 1 : strapped to the top of the helmet - bounced about all over the place.
Version 2 : Double strapped to the helmet - steady picture of the top of my subjects head.
Version 3 : Tilited it down a bit and got my lad's feet.
Version 4 : Hed the cam and pointed it the skier - all over the place again.

In between tests, I removed the memory card, put it in my digi camera and viewed the footage.

Bottom line is that once I have it aligned correctly it should be OK, but not much good really. Skiing further back from the subject may improve things.
I think I'll just use the 2GB flash card I bought for it in my digi camera and probably take the good old steam powered tape camcorder with me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the oregon Scientific one, £89.99 a good camera, but quite heavy when you wear it on your helmet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've got the 480 helmet cam and the Aiptek DV8800 recorder:

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ActionCamera_Helmet_Cameras.html
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Solid_State_Recorders.html

I was a bit sceptical of the Aiptek as it seemed a bit flimsy in the hand and the picture wasn't that brilliant but the helmet cam improves the picture no end and overall it's not a bad combination. I might upgrade to a better camcorder in a year or two but for now it's good enough.

You also need to factor in the cost of batteries - if you haven't already got 8 AA rechargeables and a good charger I'd seriously consider getting the 12v battery pack.

Staples are doing 2GB SD cards for £12.99 Very Happy Don't forget to put the *&#@ing thing in the camcorder before you have one of the best afternoons skiing of your life. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmaah, yes the Aiptek is solid state, writes directly onto an SD card.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I'll be popping down to Staples, also I think my local aldi was doing 2GB pretty cheap.
latest report
My last 2GB SD card cost me £4.70 including delivery Very Happy
latest report
where from ?
ski holidays
ok i am looking into getting a helmet cam for this years skiing trip. now do i go for one that plugs into a video camera or one that just uses a sd card, my few questions are:

how long would a 2gb sd card last?
which are better quality?
Where do you recommend i get one from?

Thanks
Matt
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads, Matt!

Matt_G wrote:
how long would a 2gb sd card last?
about 1 hour in the Oregon Scientific ATC2k
Matt_G wrote:
which are better quality?
Using a lipstick lens into a proper camera is far better quality.
Matt_G wrote:
Where do you recommend i get one from?
Google is your friend on that. Not sure who is doing good offers on them right now.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
when you say lip stick lens what do you mean? You got any recommended sites to look at?
Cheers
ski holidays
I mean the ones that are just the lens, not the complete camera. They call them lipstick cams, cause they look like a liptstick container.
Here's a couple of links:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/sony-hq1-550-helmet-camera.htm
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ActionCamera_Helmet_Cameras.html
ski holidays
Sarge, I use mine on helmet (ATC 2K) once set up and aligned takes reasonable footage. Not DVD quality but didn't pay DVD price.
As for speed - have used on motorcycle at 'faster speed than you will ski' wink (but not stupid enough to put footage on U-tube and get fined by Police!!!)
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
IMHO at the moment if you want any sort of quality you still need to be looking at a headcam that plugs into a camcorder (generally needs analogue In capability). Nothing I have seen or heard of comes close with regards to reasonable quality and ease of use for editing (ie with this its all on the miniDV tape...). I use a sony headcam from rf concepts which gives pretty damn fine performance though it isn't super cheap (+£100) the lens and the chip perform well even in comparison to the sony camcorder + carl Zeiss optics.

Agreed, except your camcorder & lens must be really crap if it can't easily outperform your headcam lens. I've got a top range (non-HD) Sony camcorder and high quality 480 line headcam with the latest Sony CCD and good though the headcam is, it's no match for the Zeiss built-in lens in the camcorder.
snow conditions
Amazon Market olace for my 2GB SD card for £4.70 Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy