Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POWDER RIBBONS

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know where I can get some powder ribbons ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most ski shopes in resort Smile

Or just make your own, saw one guy a couple of years ago with just some lengths of coloured line tied to his bindings, mus have worked as he still had both his skis Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If anyone wants DIY powder ribbons I can provide miles of used baler twine Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EBay.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins, I don't think so Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
redrunmarcus, I think so. That is, after all, where I got mine from.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyweljenkins, at the moment you get a choice of powder compacts for the ladies or a ceramic wall plaque with a ribbon for a powder room (toilet) door Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The first person I asked about this (it may even have been in the La Plagne Area wink ) said that he had nicked the tape strung between roadworks cones on the way up the mountain rolling eyes Mine have "Snow and Rock" imprinted on them for some reason Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, my first powder traces were made from roadwork tape and the rubber loops from one of those straps that keep your sunglasses on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins, so it was you Shocked I claim my £5.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Orange piste closed tape works better wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
redrunmarcus, looky looky
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For £9 you can buy 9m of synthetic ribbon, tie it to your bindings and stuff the remainder up your trouser leg, and find your ski in eye deep powder still. Come on guys what happened to a bit of DIY initiative. For free I like the roadclosure tape.

Scene of crime tape would be cool... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, thank you so much always look in the obvious place first snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Nicholas wrote:

Scene of crime tape would be cool... wink

For some strange reason Puzzled I had to stop flying with my RADIOACTIVE tape, even though it was on an unused untorn roll fresh from the lab supply company Shocked rolling eyes
latest report
Are these similar to avalanche string wink Laughing
snow report
There is never a right time to put them on.....mine stay in the pack too long..
snow report
JT, having spent more than an hour looking for my skis Evil or Very Mad I always put them on, even if they are a pain in the butt!
snow conditions
As I'm feeling Hannibal Lector-ish this morning .....

"In humans the intestine is divided into two major sections: the small intestine, which is about 6 m (20 ft) long,...; and the large intestine, which has a larger diameter and is about 1.5 m (5 ft) long,..."

Woo Ha Ha Ha Ha

hmm Chianti .... sip
ski holidays
Also you get 2 colours ... Darkish Purple for the first 7 metres and then Dark Red for the last 2 metres
latest report
Good idea is to have a mini-crab or quick release clip of some kind tied on the end, then you can keep them stuffed up your trousers all day, and easily unclip from the ski to take 'em off. I drill a little hole in the heel lever on the binding & tie a little loop to clip them to.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Are these similar to avalanche string wink Laughing

I was wondering that, but didn't dare to ask, in case it led to another 40-page thread! I'd never heard of such things, but am coming to the conclusion that they are for finding skis rather than people. Sounds like a cunning idea for doing the sort of skiing I'm unlikely ever to do....
ski holidays
Hurtle, If you have a ski come off in powder they help you to locate your ski and save a heck of a lot of bother! Toofy Grin
snow report
I can't believe I'm one up on Hurtle, I asked about a year ago Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin, yeah, I had eventually gathered that. wink
latest report
Hurtle, they are worth ten times their weight in gold, but they are a pain in the ass to handle. Since using them I've never had a problem with losing skis in powder, but the downside is that they are really fiddly when putiing the ski on ( attach to ski brake, stuff ribbon in trousers or top of boot ).
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie, Hmm, methinks these particular problems need adding to the glove technique thread.
snow report
Hurtle,
Quote:
Hmm, methinks these particular problems need adding to the glove technique thread
Didn't know we had one of those. This isn't veiled smut again is it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Lawrie, Perish the thought! Shocked There is a long and serious thread in BZK called Glove Technique. I commend it to you. wink
ski holidays
tried them, they suck. Will sell you them in fluro yellow or orange!
snow report
Hurtle, WOW Shocked

stoatsbrother, yes, they do suck. But losing your ski in powder sucks a whole lot more!
snow report
Mike Lawrie, wink
snow conditions
On a powder day they are such a great idea.
I unreservedly suggest you get them.
ski holidays
It's interesting that the same people who will either sell you (or endorse the value of) powder cords for finding lost skis in deep snow ...

... will also tell you that avalanche cords don't work.

Figure that one out!

Any brightly-coloured cord/tape (especially with directional and length markings on it) will help trace any buried object - organic or synthetic.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,Who tells you that? I cannot see any of the people who challenged you on the evidence for that interesting alternative safety method supporting cords above.

I think both are cack... Avalanche Cords because the later version of the book you quoted as being for them admitted there was no hard evidence they had saved any skiers. Powder Cords because they are fiddly, fall out on chair lifts, and you have to unhook them when you get in Gondolas etc etc.

When did you last use them by the way wink
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
"I think both are cack... "

Last words of skier buried in avalanche, disappointed to have lost a ski.
Quote:
"Channel 5 is all $h!t, isn't it? Christ, the crap they put on there. It's a waste of space"

The famous last words of Adam Faith
snow report
David Goldsmith, would you disagree with Mr Faith? I like 30 rock and Californication - but the rest....

I take it btw that you accept the premise that you had incorrectly linked these two different kinds of string...

Are you one of the famous "String Goldsmiths" who made their fortune in string and cord speculation in the 1800's? If there is a conflict of interest I think we should be told... Transparency and journalistic objectivity and all that... Toofy Grin wink
latest report
No, I'm not a String Goldsmith but my daughter's a very keen violinist!
snow report
redrunmarcus, .... positive waves man .... Smile you're going to need them this season ..... Laughing

I make up my own and they are 'pre-loaded' with a velcro attachment up the back of the ski pants with a nylon snap hook fitted into the ski pants boot zip. They stay there all season ..... unless of course they are deployed ... Laughing Its an easy matter to undo this and clip it the the bindings at the appriopriate time. Bought red, 35mm tape from dressmakers shop, bit of stiching, odds & ends and there they are.

Great idea David Goldsmith, on the directional & length markings - I am planning an upgrade to the MK II as I type .... Toofy Grin
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
It's interesting that the same people who will either sell you (or endorse the value of) powder cords for finding lost skis in deep snow ...

... will also tell you that don't work.

Figure that one out!

Any brightly-coloured cord/tape (especially with directional and length markings on it) will help trace any buried object - organic or synthetic.

Powder cords are unnecessary. In nearly all cases and in nearly all types of 'powder' the ski will just stop when you become detached from it. Merely work your way back up the line of your fall to where your track ends, seeping with your pole as you go. If there are other people there who don't know what they are doing, tell them not to 'help' as they will just trample on the 'evidence' and probably force the ski further down into the snowpack.

Avalanche cords is not a substitute for a transceiver.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy