Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What difference does the odd 5cm make?

Poster: A snowHead
In the buy and sell thread I've picked up on Linds burnin luvs which at 153cm are only 7cm shorter than my new ones - OK so I'm a beginner (5'9") and mine stop about level with the tip of my nose. When I bought mine someone in the know actually told me that most average folk could ski on a 160cm anyway which was quite reassuring for a 'blind' punt.

Often we see threads where we tell folks to buy a ski at chin height, nose height, eye height etc. Now most features on your face aren't actually that far apart and then onto this we add the height of a pair of ski boots and bindings - which is yet more x cm's. How much difference makes a critical difference, and when we tell folks to measure to point x,y,z on the face should that be bare footed or in ski boots?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, they will be fine. The boss is gnats tadger off 6ft and skis 160cm an loves 'em.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its weight more than height that matters, so if your a bit on the tubby side go for eyebrows however if you are a bit of a bean pole then the chin it. To complicate things if you always ski hard you effectively exert more weight so you could be heading back north.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, IMO 5cm doesnt make a lot of difference unless you are skiing very fast on piste, or, skiing a lot off piste. More of a difference for on piste skiing is how stiff or soft the ski is.

I am just packing some skis for a trip tomorrow that dont reach my chin Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, In actual fact this wasn't a dig at 'will my skis be wonderful' (though thanks for the comment). I'm genuinely interested in all this hoohar over the odd 5-10cm here and there is it just a technicality for technicalities sake or is 5cm on skis that noticeable assuming the other dimensions keep the turning circle about the same
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
10 cm I really notice in terms of handling - 5cm makes a differernce to speed and chuckability, but it's hard to spot. I went deliberately 5cm short on my last pair so I could let the skis run or muck about with turns and bumps a bit more when cruising around, more sociable, slightly less rocketing off into the distance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Talk about smut-creep! Oh, I see this is a discussion about ski length. So sorry. Embarassed For what it's worth, I agree with Cunners and can feel the difference with 10cm more or less, but not 5cm, even though I'm a pixie. (That's skiing fairly fast on piste, including bumps.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought some skis last winter, in 153cm length, i skied the same ones earlier in the season in 160cm length. There was a noticeable difference in the handling of the ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You tend to ntice the extra length in bumps and short turns
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, That wasn't a reply to Frosty the Snowman, worthy of you.

His point was that 'relative' length of ski isn't a big deal per se .. and his wife is more able than you or I; my Better Half skis better than I and she couldn't give a damn about length of ski ... just how the whole package works. What does matter is how 'the ski' works for you.

While your question is ( I suspect, but what would I know) valid for very advanced skiers; for you and I it's just a question of 'whatever works' and taking the best advice we can find.

Fair?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum wrote:
What difference does the odd 5cm make?

At the risk of upsetting hurtle, I'll offer to forward you the contents of my SPAM box.....they seem to think it makes the world of difference wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm I seem to recall that in the days when I skied on 205's (what a man!) the"length" quoted depended on the manufacturer and between which points on the ski they had decided to measure the "length" - eg is it the bit between where the pointy end turns up and the tail turns up slightly, or is it overall, or what? Try measuring your "153's" and see what answer you come up with.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, I didn't intend to be rude to FTS Embarassed FTS has always been very supportive of me and knows how much I appreciate him. Sorry FTS Cool I just didn't want folks to feel I was clamouring for attention. I was just using my skis as an example of how close to each other some of these measurements appear to me.

Frosty the Snowman, skimottaret, Your comments go along with the gist of Agenterre, i.e.

Quote:

'relative' length of ski isn't a big deal per se

At least to 'joe bloggs skier'. That's kind of what I had started to feel, yet loads of these threads seem to go on about ski length as though the world depended on it, and for novices it just gives them something extra to worry about.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda, I asked once where the skis are from and to and got a similar answer - i.e. it depends on manufacturer. Given how much of the ski actually 'bends' at the tips (esp. on these twin tipped skis some folks seem to have) it could be quite a number of centimetres difference - this again seems to suggest that estimates of required ski length for height, are exactly that, i.e. only estimates. I'm off to measure mine to see where their 160cm is taken from (good excuse to go and look at them wink )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does an odd 5cm make much difference in the park, out of curiosity?
snow report
Weight, flex, sidecut. I am really surprised to see you and Linds on the same skis.
ski holidays
comprex, But we're not Puzzled
snow report
Megamum, my misunderstanding then, I though the OP was an indication that you'd purchased them. Apologies.
snow conditions
Quote:

I am really surprised to see you and Linds on the same skis

I'm sure they have a pair each!

snowHead
snow report
comprex, No not purchased them - it was just the thread with the advert for them started me thinking.
ski holidays
Megamum, A 44 B cup and a 36 DD might use the same amount of fabric.
snow conditions
comprex, Somehow I'm not surprised to see you knowing a bit about ladies underwear wink
snow report
comprex, But I do understand what you mean - i.e. length is not the only thing that determines suitability, Yes?

FWIW My Elans seem to be measured from end to the end of the ski tip. So they've got less than that on the snow - however, if differnet manufacturers measure to different points it means you have to be familiar with the way each one records its length to know if two ski types being discussed in a thread are the same or different lengths though both types might report to be 160cm.
ski holidays
Megamum, highly trained release testing technicians. Fully calibrated tooling. 24hr turnaround.
snow report
slalom skis seem to be short, but having seen pro slalom skiers race training, they go faster than I do straight lining it
snow conditions
comprex,
Quote:

I am a highly trained release testing technician

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Yes, ELAN measure that way, it makes sense for twintips in particular. You may remember I originally thought a 176cm would do nicely for you, that was part of the calculation.

The bigger difference, as pointed out above, will be flex and sidecut. A very stiff, highly sidecut ski might fit extremely well in a 155cm whereas a 95mm-waist 35m-ski might fit nicely in 190cm.

The logical error in quite a few posts above is comparing Ski A in Length 1 to Ski B in Length 2.

I think even you'll find it very easy to tell the difference between Ski A in length 1 and Ski A in Length 2, even if the difference is only 5cm, patricularly as stiffness increases, as published radius gets shorter, and as the taper geometry changes from what works with your physique.

To me, that is the only comparison that makes any sense whatsoever.
ski holidays
For your weight, aggressiveness, ability etc etc you will have an "optimum" length for a particular ski model, but most would do perfectly alright one size down. So no I don't think 5cms does make a huge difference. comprex is dead right tho, that only has real relevance when looking at the same skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the Dacathlon brochure. they helpfully put what size ski they think you should go for for each model (ie chin height, 10cm above head height etc).
snow report
comprex, I think I'm still glad I went a fair bit shorter than that. A 176cm would have been v. near the top of my head. Seeing as I have only skied something chin height up until now I think I would have found the extra 20cm or so too difficult to manipulate. Still I get a chance to play with them next week and can report back on how I found them.
latest report
Megamum, I think we're talking past each other here: if neither the ELAN tip nor tail are on the snow, what difference does it make how far it reaches when stood on end?

The effective edge-contact chord length for a 176cm is still only barely 160cm, poss. even shorter on a true twintip?
ski holidays
Yes, but the skis I was looking at were not twin tips (I don't know if the M666 were).

Maybe its been a while since you were one, but I think for a beginer its about more than the length of ski on the snow (other beginers can chip in here is they disagree) - I know technically that might be the case, but its also down to the physical size of them in terms of moving the length around on the snow, tripping over the tips and tails etc. I think this is why beginers get on better with short skis much more so than the physical nature of how much ski is regularly in contact with the snow.
latest report
Megamum, I understand your point, but then it becomes about the physical size of the beginner, no? When making a snowplough open to say 30-60-90 degrees as viewed from above the larger or wider-hipped beginner will naturally be able to have wider apart feet?

The reverse of the shorter=easier coin is that difficult conditions become more difficult. Ice, crust, very soft snow, uncohering snow, sticky snow. By your argument, the beginner who buys shorter skis for ease regardless of size or weight is banking on having perfect snow where everyone is a ski hero at each outing, and on getting rid of the skis before difficult snow conditions are encountered? Sure, I can even see it make sense in a snowdome.

Oh, and the M666 has a turned-up tail that isn't quite a tip, that's what the above calculation was for, the corresponding TT equivalent MO2 would be even shorter.
ski holidays
Megamum, I agree there. A nice short ski to learn how to execute turns correctly, keep control and gain confidence is essential. I know the ski will not be that stable at speed but that's not what an improver is looking for, it's competence. Once you have things together the longer lengths will help with stability at higher speed and differing types and depths of snow. I should be on about a 180's or more but at present I don't want to go much higher than a 160's as I know control may be difficult for me and I will spend more time on my ass the longer the ski consequently the confidence will go out the window.
ski holidays
comprex, On the other hand the beginner who does use short skis like myself, or someone like Headplant, who still uses them for the confidence they give does push on and use them in adverse conditions. In theory if we learn to ski on something which may not be the ideal and suceed with this endeavour then we might actually learn more than on skis that make things easy. wink
snow report
Megamum, can't help but thinking you worry too much about these things, ski length is only one of the variables to consider when choosing your equipment - this is said with up most sincerity and not meant to hijack your thread.

As a general rule of thumb, go on the short side for your weight/height when starting out to help turning, get the feel of balance and edge hold/the ski hooking up. From what you describe your skis will serve you well, you will have great fun and improve with slope time. You will know when you have out grown your skis, as when you push them or travel away from the groomed stuff, they will either break loose or nose dive wink
snow conditions
Hofmeister, In actual fact I'm not actually worried my own skis at all - from all the help I had when I bought them I'm sure they will be fine - this thread has gone sideways as so often happens.

I was merely trying to get to the bottom of this preoccupation with such precise lengths. The description for example of something like a 153cm ski as a pixie ski - OK in jest I know, but suggestive that such a ski is considered on the short side, something that I think my own 160cm ones would not be described as. Yet from the responses above the 7cm difference is probably barely discernable unless you are capable of skiing the bases off them. So many people post things such as "I'm 6'2" and a good intermediate skiers what ski length would be best" and loads of people respond with just ski length. As comprex, points out there is actually more to it than just length, and the more I read the more unimportant the actual length 'statistic' appears to become.
ski holidays
Megamum, I think you confusing the issue slightly. Length is important, you just can't necessarily compare across skis. So when I bought mine, I demo'd the 166 and the 174. The 8 cm made a massive difference, and I decided that I preferred the 166. I'm sure that any level skier would be able to tell the difference. However if I bought a different ski, I may go for the 174 as that would be more appropriate.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy