Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis Skis Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Morning All.

Firstly a few words of thanks, having spent the last few weeks browsing the site i have unearthed a wealth of information and lightened my wallet as a result.

Onto the big questions. What skis for me?

It is clear that having read through various posts ideally i would try lots of ski's and buy as a result, unfortunately thats not possible, or practical.

What i have gathered so far - in general terms (that is applicable to me):

The longer the ski the more stable at speed.
The shorter the easier to turn.
The fatter the better off piste, the thinner, not so good.
The more flex, the more forgiving.
The stiffer the more precise - but less forgiving.

I am 6.0" weigh 85kg, with longish legs (33") Slightly longer than my Torso and and physically fit (due to my job)

I haven’t skied for a few years, but prior to that had skied frequently and competently (3+ Weeks under instruction, 4+ weeks without i was proficient at Nordic and Alpine skiing and was working towards eventually qualifying in Ski Tour Leading) Introduce 1x Wife and 1x Child and things drew to a stop. FFwd to 2007, my daughter is old enough to start learning so we are off Skiing over the new year (Saalbach)

So What do i THINK i want. As usual i want a ski that can do it all (no surprise there then) I Will be buying shortly off ebay - Ski Bilek (at those prices its rude not to and will save on ski hire)

For the first week, i am booked back into private lessons for the week (and have done the same for the littlun and wife albeit separately) I am then off for another week on my own (Saalbach again) to continue with the intention to eventually qualify as a Tour Leader (training and testing has been organised)

I have narrowed the preference down to Fischer AMC's or Fischer RX's. I am acutely aware that Skis like the RX 9's whilst a steal will probably ruin my first week back on the piste?

The AMCs and RXs suit my needs:

They do it all, on piste, off, carve and can critically be brought for a good price - which in the long run will save on ski hire, plus ill have all the gear should opportunities pop up as they do.

So now that is all out of the way, the critical question is - What length?

I seem to be drawn towards a 170, based on height, leg length& strength, weight, ability (current and future).

Any Thoughts from the wise out there on the length or model RX 4/6? AMC 73/76?

Much Obliged,

Matt
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
matricks, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I know this may sound daft, but why is it not possible to try some skis? If you go to xscape (or possibly Tamworth Snowdome?) you can try skis there from Ellis Brigham. You have to go in the day when the shop is open, and testing indoors isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

The other option is to hire in resort and then buy from the rental place. They will usually knock the week's hire charge from the price of the skis, and you can try a different pair each day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
matricks, another welcome from me

Have you got boots? they're much more important than skis,
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B wrote:
matricks, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I know this may sound daft, but why is it not possible to try some skis? If you go to xscape (or possibly Tamworth Snowdome?) you can try skis there from Ellis Brigham. You have to go in the day when the shop is open, and testing indoors isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing.

The other option is to hire in resort and then buy from the rental place. They will usually knock the week's hire charge from the price of the skis, and you can try a different pair each day.

Thanks for the Welcome.

Not really practical because of the distance and time factor, plus the working schedule:

Wife and i both work full time, just leaves the weekend.. fine apart from organising a puppy sitter (12 Wks old, which can as those that have dogs know be more demanding than a baby)

Time, we are off in 29 Days, given the time is getting closer i need to decide quickly so they arrive in time.

Boots are Scarpa Tornado Pro.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At your height and ability, I would lean towards a slightly longer ski - say 175.

Don't know the Fischers so can't comment, sorry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon wrote:
At your height and ability, I would lean towards a slightly longer ski - say 175.

Don't know the Fischers so can't comment, sorry.

I ski Fischer RX8 and AMC 79. Both are not difficult skis to ski. I've skied 14/15 weeks over 15 years so am a long way from an expert. I would suggest the AMC 76 at 170 or175.if you want some all mountain capability but probably won't keep you up in a big dump of powder. If you are less bothered about off piste I would suggest the RX8 be considered as well. Don't think my Rx8 are unforgiving. they hold ice very well. I think some snowheads have skied Rx6 and been happy. I'm a little taller and haevier and ski the RX8 in 175 suggest it in 165/170 if you jst a piste orientated ski.

These are skis you will get good value from buying on ski bilek. If you can get a good deal -apache crossfire - saw some at £300 on ebay. you may be able to demo these at ellis brigham in uk

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 3-12-07 18:02; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then rent and test and maybe buy in resort, don't buy from the home untested...

Your general terms are correct, but in no way give you a clue on the character of a ski:

Flex patterns have large influences... more geared on-piste, more offpiste, things like that.
(A ski is not just either soft or stiff, they purposely vary the stiffness along the length.... Elan even has one thats soft underfoot so you can vary the radius it will do with a bit of pressure....)

Rossi Bandits, Atomix SX.... very very popular skis, but to me it feels like its leading my by the tail of the ski... me no like!
Atomic SL/metron i do like lots, so cannot point at a brand either...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm, 6ft, Tornado Pros. Shouldn't you be looking at something a bit more like Dynastar Mythic rider in 178?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ski AMC76 at 158cm and they carve like stink. I prefer a shorter ski tho. I am about 15kg lighter than you matricks, so you want something a bit longer. I've not skied the RX range but they are not renowned as off-piste skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Hmm, 6ft, Tornado Pros. Shouldn't you be looking at something a bit more like Dynastar Mythic rider in 178?

I wish! Trying to justify the cost at this stage to her that must be obeyed will take more than a few weeks of doing the washing!

Ultimately, the long term is to get a decent touring ski and a "do it all" ski.

For my needs the "do it all" has to come first to refind my legs and get back on track, then in conjuction with lessons, training and a few courses move back to AT.

I have my eye on a few pairs of Ski's so ill see how i get on. I know that there are better ways to do this, ie try and buy, but on this occasion ill have to just buy then stick with it.

The advice and recomendations are much appreciated.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
matricks,

What soles do you have on those...?

Are they ISO or AT binding compatable..?

I have googled it and see they have a dual sole capabalility so you can go with an Alpine binding in the 1st instance.

I would think the RX8 in anything around 177 would have some life in them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do you ski enough to make it worth your while buying?

Im sure while browsing you will have read peoples opions on reasons to buy or rent.

If not try this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32516&highlight=

ps welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, I don't ski enough to make it worth me buying, but in the finish thought sod it, in for a penny in for a pound!! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Renry, I don't ski enough to make it worth me buying, but in the finish thought sod it, in for a penny in for a pound!! snowHead

Especially when you can get them so cheap!

Just got a pair of AMC 73s new (2007 Model) of ebay for £110!, including postage and extras all in for £140. At prices like that its rude not to!

A big thanks to everyone and their views, i went for a 170 in the end. Ill let you know if was a good buy when i get back!

Matt
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="matricks"]
Elizabeth B wrote:
matricks,

Wife and i both work full time, just leaves the weekend.. fine apart from organising a puppy sitter (12 Wks old, which can as those that have dogs know be more demanding than a baby)

You want a Puppy sitter........try us! wink
latest report
Elizabeth B, tell me about it ... 9 week old lurcher puppy seemed a good idea at the time!! Fits well with our other dogs but boy did we forget about all the puddles!!!!!! Shocked

katiebeagle, do you want ours as well? Smile
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
I've skied 1415 weeks over 15 years so am a long way from an expert.

Shocked 1415 weeks !!! .... what do you call expert then?
snow report
elfin wrote:
Elizabeth B, tell me about it ... 9 week old lurcher puppy seemed a good idea at the time!! Fits well with our other dogs but boy did we forget about all the puddles!!!!!! Shocked

katiebeagle, do you want ours as well? Smile

Ahh, the puddles, glad to know i wasnt the only one who forgot about dashing outside and standing in the rain encouraging a bemused puppy to "toilet" or dragging the vax out...

katiebeagle, Charlie would be happy to go for a walk and meet your hounds too! Final set of injections next week so if we need a puppy sitter for a few hours ill PM you. Thanks for the offer!
ski holidays
Patch wrote:
dan100 wrote:
I've skied 1415 weeks over 15 years so am a long way from an expert.

Shocked 1415 weeks !!! .... what do you call expert then?

I wish -major typo 14 or 15 weeks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy