Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

But is SCGB still worth joining?

Poster: A snowHead
Despite SCGB closing off to non-members, is it still worth joining up?

Why join? Is it for the discounts? Are these better than simply getting a good deal via IGLU say?

Is there a particular kind of skier for which the SCGB is best suited? And what kind is that?

Is it more about the people/community than the financial benefits?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest, I'd say the SCGB is no more and no less worth joining than it was. My guess is that the forum there is pretty dead, so you don't really get any more for your money than you used to (before MO day).

If you were considering joining before, you may as well still join. Likewise, if you weren't, then I don't really see what extra there is for you now.

Clearly, the skier who is best suited to join the ski club would be one who gets the most out of the fee. That means using discounts, skiing with club reps, going on club holidays and using the clubhouse. I'm not a member, for the simple reason that I didn't think I'd use any of these benefits.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I'm right in saying the Ski Club Rep service is unique, I don't know of an equivalent - but it does rely on you choosing a repped resort. With a little care you can easily get more than your money's worth in discounts and the reports I've heard are that the Club holidays are good value. My impression has been that the Ski Club is better suited to a skier with a bit more experience rather than an absolute beginner.

For a number of us the existence of the open forum was a deciding factor; it gave a genuine feeling of community, was a mine of useful information and available all year round. Nowadays I've found a better forum Wink

I'm currently a member but may or may not be at the end of the year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And from what I've seen and heard it would probably suite the more mature experianced skiier, based on the average age of the group holidays.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
have we met marc ? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought that might rattle your cage, Alan. Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm pretty cheesed off with the way they have handled the forum issues - but I like my membership for the repping option. We've used reps three times and had great fun each time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd have to say yes as a rep! However it does depend on what you want out of skiing. I joined primarily to ski with the reps as I was starting to get ahead of most of my mates and wanted more of challenge (then ended up doing the course) - I've also saved a lot on discounts and that normally covers my fee each year, though it wouldn't bother me if I didn't.

Anybody above beginners can get benefit from skiing with reps (the programmes vary depending on day). As for holidays, I've only been on one (it was a Warren Smith Freeride Instruction, and discounted) and the age range was wider than I expected - youngest was about 25 (oldest in 50s).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes worth it but DO NOT join before you go...unfortunately we did only to find that if you join in resort you get some 2 for 1 deal i.e. 1 year free which is a significant saving for a family/couple membership!!

It is definitely worth it for the repping service alone! We had a great time with the reps in Zermatt.

I think you need to be of a decent intermediate standard though and able to ski at a reasonable pace so not really for beginners/early intermediates.

It was particualrly useful to us as we are of differing abilities and in Zermatt because there are 2 reps there was always a faster and slower group each day. Even on Advanced days all members would meet up as usual and then the non-advanced ones would form their own group without a rep to ski together whilst their advanced partners/friends etc could go with the rep. Worked out really well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I joined cos they gave discount at Castleford - makes two hour £24 not £30. I mainly used it for the Freesytle nights - cut the cost from £35 to £28. Castleford having now stopped doing the discount on the freestyle sessions, being a Boarder there's only about 3 reps - I can't see me joining next year unless they start doing a bit more for us
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dodzi there were 3 Reps on the course in December last year (supposed to be 4) and they all passed and are repping this season - so that's doubled the number! I agree that it would be nice to have more boarding reps (and I'm a skier), however boarders are welcome to ski with skiing Reps - I often ski with boarders, and would be happy to see some boarders come along when I'm repping.

Sarah, the repping is supposed to be for anyone from early intermediate upwards - there should be at least one day in the weekly programme for early intermediates (blue cruising). Everyine is welcome in the bar at the social hour!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Red Dave, I know the repping is 'supposed' to be for anyone from early intermediates standard however I would say that such skiers were not actively encouraged. I guess a lot depends on the resort you are in and the types of skier presenting themselves for repping...obviously the programme is tailored to the majority. Therefore perhaps because Zermatt is a resort more suited to advanced skiers than early intermediates the standard and pace of the groups tended to reflect this. It would be interesting to see how the repping service operates in other resorts...have to wait until next season for that now I think!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd use stronger terms I've seen skiers actively discouraged from going the next day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DG Really? I can't say people were 'actively discouraged' but they were certainly not encouraged so I would say you might have to pretty thick skinned and go anyway. After all you pay your membership for it and as Red Dave says the repping is supposed to cater for all except beginners. I think the reps talk up the standard a bit in the hope that weaker skiers will feel that they are not up to it and so don't turn up. I must say that I did feel nervous about whether I would be good enough and I am a good intermediate standard.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The case in point, a gentleman skied on the first day (easy open to anyone) and was not particularly fast, the second day was supposed to be for blue run skiers and up, he was discouraged to go, I understand that the group actually only skied 1 blue on the second day, draw your own conclusions.
ski holidays
DG / Sarah, it will depend quite heavilly on the individual rep, and also the resort - resorts are graded into A, B, & C (as are the reps). However reps encouraged to put together a diverse programme to include days for early intermediates / intermediates / advanced skiers - often there will be a big off-piste day with a qualified Mountain Guide hired to lead this (dependant on conditions and demand). The weekly programmes are normally posted in various places around the resort so that people know what to expect from each day.

If a day is advertised as early intermediate / blues, then this should be the level, unless everybody is happy to up the pace / level. Often the next day will be advertised at a higher level - intermediate / reds; so if people aren't up to this they may be discouraged and asked to come back later in the week when there may be another early intermediate day. After all it's not fair if most people are expecting to ski at a reasonable pace on reds (as advertised) while one or two people are causing the group to be held back.

The idea is NOT that 'early intermediates' can ski with the group all week as that would be unfair to the advanced skiers. It would also not be safe to take them on an advanced day.
ski holidays
Red Dave I understand that, the problem is as follows the first day was advertised as "Find your ski legs" with a clasification of easy blues (or something like that) for standard of skiing, the second was "Explore more" again classified as blue run skier, the third was red runs and so on, given that the skier I'm talking about should have been allowed on the first two days, the third would have been above his standard, however the rep went out of their way to discourage his participation after day 1, the rep was also skiing much faster on day 1 than people were really happy with, I wasn't worried as it was about my 5th day at that point, but others did comment.
snow report
Am an early intermediate, but not particularly fit. am thinking of trying skiing with a rep for the first time as I am skiing on my own for the first time. was intersted to hear about folks all meeting up and making their own groups if the reo is doing harder runs. Will see how it goes. Am happy to cruise the blues and can tackle most reds with little style and a bit of trepidation.

Any more tips would be helpful rolling eyes
snow report
Sparrow, given that you are going to be in the Wengen area you may also want to try the DHO, they meet in the wengen curling club hut arround 5.30pm most days, speak to Paul Zvegintzopf about joining, when I was out there in Feb his wife Marie was skiing with the not so fast skiers whilst he went out with those who prefered to go a little faster, I think you can still ski for one day for free with the DHO before having to join
ski holidays
DG a lot does depend on the individual rep; however if a lot of people were not happy with the pace, then it does seem rather unfair (especially for the 1st day). I've also experienced the opposite - I've been along to advertised 'fast' days, and found we skied mostly blues rather slowly as a few people were not of the advertised standard.

Sparrow I've often seem what you describe happen. Less experienced skiers ski with the rep on the 1st / 2nd day, then form their own little groups to ski together on the harder days. If you are going to Wengen it would also be worth trying DG's suggestion - find out what works for you. He knows Wengen, and there's nothing like local advice.
latest report
Red Dave, the standard thing will always be a problem, if the same skiers have skied with the rep all week that's one thing but if you end up with a bunch of people of varying standards turning up on a high standard day it's a problem, most reps will point out that it is supposed to be a day of a particular standard and anyone who skis either toolowly or too fast may want to reconsider coming (or words to that effect) What isn't right is for th eday to be advertised as one thing e.g slow blue whilst the rep takes you down all the reds, the only exception would be if all the skiers that turned up requested a change to faster or slower skiing
latest report
DG, I totally agree.

By the way, congratulations on your 'hors Piste' status! Cool
snow report
Well i'm trying to get back ahead of PG but it's going to be difficult as he posted an awful lot of stuff yesterday and today due to him being unwell
ski holidays
The free chips in the Alpaka on a Monday night are usually good and have been the only benefit I have ever gained, that and good company
latest report
We had to wait nearly 10 years, but news of free chips is worth waiting for snowHead
snow report
For my part I do not see that the discounts are all that good. i can save more with other methods and affiliations. However the rep service is absolutely superb especially if like me you are a lone skier with no interested family and mates who cannot get away 7 weeks of the season like me Toofy Grin . As for pace in Zermatt with a double rep its fantastic. In La Plagne 1 rep you are stuck with the slowest. But the day gets split up and you meet peeps to ski with.

One thing I was not happy with was the attitude 'I have been with SCGB' for 25 - 30 - 62 or 79 years and I get preference of where I ski! Luckily we had a a rep who would not play that game but another resort they took the easy option and annoyed 4 of us! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Rep service is excellent as Mick says.
Free chips in Alpaca aren't bad as cynic points out.
Also their snow and board magazine is a good read.
As well as the repping service, they often help organise guides in resort also for fuller off piste days.
I've used their ask the expert section on a few issues which I found very good.
And finally, 9 days forecasting via snow-forecast.com is included.

So I'd give it a big thumbs up overall.
ski holidays
How do the SCGB continue to provide the repping service in France??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And you won't bump into unfunny dave.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
How do the SCGB continue to provide the repping service in France??

Because the reps are unpaid (although as I understand it they do get accommodation provided in resort, lift pass and ancillary expenses)
latest report
Exactly this, I'm a SCGB rep and the only reason we can lead people around is because there is no monetary gain.....
We also are encouraged to make use of local guides for our "off-piste day" and will send members to the local ski school if required Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy