Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Crystal Glacier Catered Chalet in Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Got a great deal there for Chrimbo.

£312.00 Is it any good.

Never been to Tignes before. Is it expensive to eat on the mountain?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, you are one strange boy. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, Well done you ! snowHead

I have no idea about the Chalet or mountain restaurants apart from the one at the top of the funicular which was averagly priced IIRC - there are plenty of very good eateries in the village which are very reasonable. I'm sure you'll have a great time - it's a fantastic ski area, and I too would like to go back there one the whole of The Espace Killy is open, as I have only skied the glacier and the Double M.

Do you have a link to your chalet and the deal ?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 28-11-07 21:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, I am not a Crystal fan, preferring other chalet companies, but from Belfast (I presume), that is a snorting Christmas deal. No asking how much the lift pass, and ignoring the fact you will be spending over a grand in all and you ask if the mountain lunches are a couple of Euros on the high side wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Works out at just over 1K for 2 with espace du killy pass and a set of skis for Rhonda.

Was budgeting on £600.00 spends. All I want is a good lunch on the mountain with a few beer stops on the way. Says there is wine with dinner. Is this likely to be unlimited as with Le Mouflon?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, usually the wine will keep flowing until dinner is over; eat slowly and get the waitress's attention when your carafe is empty Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I might have stayed in it several years ago. Well located for ski access (short walk to the nearest piste, and a chairlift very close by). IIRC the most direct route back to the chalet on skis is down the Trolles black, but I think you can also access it from the other side of Tignes on gentler slopes if you are prepared to pole a bit across a flat section of piste in front of Maison Tignes. The chalet is located closer to Lavachet than Le Lac, so a bit of a walk (quickest up the piste) to get to shops and nightlife.

No more expensive to eat on the mountain than most of the other big French resorts. Access to the villages by ski is so convenient that you might find it cheaper to eat in Tignes or Val d'Isere than up the hill somewhere. Have to say I find the restaurant at the top of the Tignes funicular, the Panoramique, to be awful and best avoided. If you do find yourself there don't have the soup o the ravioli as they surgically remove the taste from both.

Make sure you make time to visit the spa (think they might call it a Wellness Centre rolling eyes) for an enjoyable steam room/sauna and jacuzzi. I can also recommend a sports massage from Mrs W who will visit your chalet after your day skiing to help revive aching muscles.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

usually the wine will keep flowing until dinner is over; eat slowly and get the waitress's attention when your carafe is empty
there speaks the experienced catered-chalet goer! I found eating on the mountain in the Espace Killy rather expensive, but at that price for Christmas, who cares?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, The chalet seems in a great spot, we have stayed very near it and I suspect it is next to the Paquis & Chaudannes lifts. A fab spot. Looking at the site I bet the bedrooms are tiny and the food and wine not a patch on Le Mouflon, but then there will be lots of other guests. GO FOR IT.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
johnboy, The chalet seems in a great spot, we have stayed very near it and I suspect it is next to the Paquis & Chaudannes lifts. A fab spot. Looking at the site I bet the bedrooms are tiny and the food and wine not a patch on Le Mouflon, but then there will be lots of other guests. GO FOR IT.

The bedroom I had there was a good size, with a balcony facing the Paquis chair, although there was one room, sold as a single, which was nothing more than a large cupboard from what I could see, and didn't even have a window.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stayed in the place decades ago when it was a Bladon Lines chalet.

A fortnight at the end of April. I broke my shoulder in the January but still decided to go as it was a really good deal. I just skied carefully avoiding falls.

Chalet was a nice, clean, modern building in those days. A bus took you up the other end of town. Usual end-of-season high jinks on the last evening -heavy drinking, truth games, butter being thrown around the place for some reason.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Last Tango in Tignes Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like a good location.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, that restaurant has to be the worst mountain restaurant I have ever eaten in, the soup was like dishwater, however, it seemed a bit better when we were there in October.
ski holidays
What a blast from the past. Chalet Glacier was our first skiing holiday together (10 or so years ago) - we were just a couple but joined in with two very large groups many of whom have become great friends. My memories are that it was cosy but basic, there was a lift just at the end of a short road and you could ski back. This part of Tignes (probably changed by now) was a little dead though.

Years on we are living the dream here in the Pyrenees. Its not the same - but life is so much better.

www.peak-times.com
snow report
The restaurant at the top of the Chaudannes is the one I tend to gravitate to for lunch if I'm on the Tiges side at lunchtime. If Val, then the Marmottes is quite good.
snow conditions
Stayed in that chalet in 2005. Id say £312 is about right for that place and if its the same as it was back then youll get what you pay for. Unmotivated staff with low morale, unrecognizable food, tiny rooms (dont get the one in the eaves or you'll be banging your head all week), lots of broken bits and pieces, not enough loos etc. That said - we kicked up a fuss and got some money back so hopefully theyve pulled their socks up - would be interested to hear if they have.
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
The restaurant at the top of the Chaudannes is the one I tend to gravitate to for lunch if I'm on the Tiges side at lunchtime.

I'd recommend that one as well Very Happy It's got a self-service side & a proper restaurant - we ate in the restaurant & the food was very good indeed, although far from cheap... don't think we'd do it every day!
The Panoramique has a nice help-yourself salad bar, which is good value, but the hot food was pretty unimpressive when we were there.
There's a great place on the Santons run going down into Val D'Isere as well - big portions of seriously yummy food (to fuel the long walk through the chalets on the lower part of the run! I still wonder if we went the wrong way - it was more cross-country than downhill...).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy