Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camcorder

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used a flash memory (SD) camcorder on the hill, they seem ideal size wise, I don't mind about the limited storage just wondered if they were robust enough. Any suggestions on model.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be crazy unless you only want poor recording quality.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How can a camera be HD and save to SD? Surely to be HD it has to be descent quality? Just a Q

jbob seems like a fun option, cheapish and easy. I just bought a 3 CCD mini-DV, couldn't afford HD. I'd also like a helmet cam, I think SD card would be the way to go...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, no, SD is far too slow for video. You'd be better off finding a helmet camera that will connect to your MiniDV camera over SVideo, or going for a hard-disk based PVR.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SD is actually a fairly sensible choice for skiing with, as it is Flash based and thus will not be upset by bumps or knocks, and should deal fairly well, or at least better than DV tapes, with the cold.

What SD camera are you looking at.

HDD cameras are risky if you are going to be filming helmet cam footage unless your got a pack to store it safely in.

I'd take a look at the Sanyo Xacti

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000P4SY4K/interactiveda3022-21?tag=amz07b-21

It should do the trick if your just filming yourself and the family and not planning on releasing any DVDs
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just second guessing myself, I don't think the Sanyo has the ability to attach a head cam.

Sorry
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The one i was looking at but no AV in.
Panasonic SDR-S10 Water-resistant SD Camcorder (10 x optical zoom, shock-proof, USB 2.0)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buckers, while flash memory isn't affected by bumps and knocks, its capacity it too limited. MiniDV is perfect for this sort of application because the tapes don't jog, cameras are a comparable size, cameras are cheaper, tapes store 14GB of data, and many have SVideo in for bullet/helmet cameras.

jbob, find one with AV-in (SVideo). Mine hasn't got it, and I can't count the number of times I've kicked myself for not thinking about that at the tim eof purchase.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What about this Samsung,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-VP-HMX10-XEU-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B000VBE3UG?tag=amz07b-21

its got S-Video and AV in.

In terms of the lack of shock proof, I think any flash based camera is going to be ok.

Unless your going to be hucking off cliffs
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins, yeah, but a 4GB SD card costs pittance, and can be reused infinite amounts of time.

And miniDV tapes can be affected by the cold very easily.

As for storage, a 4GB SD card will hold up to 360 minutes of SD footage, and at the Highest HD quality 45mins, at the lowest HD quality 90 mins. You would be struggling to get that on a miniDV tape.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buckers, 45 minutes at full-rate DV is over 8 gigabytes, and that's not even HD resolution. A miniDV tape can hold 60 minutes of full-rate stereo DV, or 90 minutes of full-rate mono. To get 45 minutes of HD on a 4GB card the video will be compressed, probably MPEG2 or MPEG4, meaning a loss of quality at source.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyweljenkins, fair enough. I'm not sure if this helps me, but any HD footage recorded onto flash will be compressed, so its slightly a moot point.

I think we need to know if jbob is going to be watching this on a HD TV or just burning it to DVD and watching it on a TV.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will not be viewing on a HD TV or hucking too high a cliff. I started looking at DV but was attracted by the lightness of the SD models. I would like to be able to use a helmet cam, oh and yes be the right side of £250.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samsung VP-D363 and http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/helmet-camera-viosport.htm#cam2.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree on the head cam, but surely there is a better camera out there than the Samsung
ski holidays
buckers, possibly, but perhaps not for the money. Samsung kit is very good these days. It used to be a brand you wouldn't really buy unless you had to, but it's come along way. Their cameras and TVs rival Panasonic kit.
latest report
hyweljenkins, I know but, at the rate that cameras are developing these days, I can't help but feel that a little future proofing is necessary. After all, what's the point of buying the Samsung now if in a couple of years time your viewing everything in HD.

It think spending that little extra to give you a couple more years insurance is worth it.

But ultimately its up to jbob.

I think we've done a good job of covering all the angles (excuse the pun)
ski holidays
Thanks fellas
snow conditions
Don't want to change the subject, but which helmet cams are suitable (and not too expensive) for connecting to a camcorder???
latest report
Celts88, as long as your camera has SVideo in, any helmet camera with an SVideo connection. Try Dog Cam Sport for help - that's a good starting point.
latest report
jbob, I have an xacti. It isn't brilliant. Better than old analogue video cameras, no where near DV. I think as flash memory becomes a lot cheaper this will change, but on the maximum resolution setting it uses just 1Gb for 45mins, and that isn't enough. Get much better video clips from a sony cybershot camera which does video clips at 12 mins per gig. I think they are getting pretty close. I am waiting now for true HD flash memory camera

I will try and post some footage on youtube to show the difference.
snow report
Sorry for asking a dumb ass question Puzzled I have a panasonic mini dv tape camera 4yrs old approx and dont know whether it is possible to transfer footage from the camera to my PC , do I need a certain lead to do this or is it indeed possible??Help Confused
ski holidays
hedley, depends on the outputs. If it's got FireWire (IEEE1394) use that - it's high quality. Otherwise try USB. Otherwise, try the manual!
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, thanks, i can shoot a bit of vid on my canon G7 compact camera and if its no better than that I might not bother.
snow conditions
Panasonic HDC-SD5 is a HD camcorder that uses SDHC cards (currently retailing online for approx. £550). It has really good write ups and has tempted me over the last couple of months - has some excellent reviews in Camcorder mags etc. Small, lightweight, not sensitive to movement, sounds ideal for skiing if you're prepared to take the risk.

Most bullet cams connect to camcorders via AV in, not S-video, be careful. They can also connect to PVR's such as Archos. I have a Dogcam zoom which am considering selling, please PM me if interested ...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy