Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

orthotic bodging advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am after some general advice about tilting a footbed in both a ski boot and in a bicycle shoe to try and ease symptoms of tingling and numbness on the outside edge of my foot (mostly my right - from the little toe along the edge of the arch to just infront of the heel.) I basically seem to have the same symptom when I have my foot kept flat when skiing or cycling, but don't seem to get it noticably when walking/climbing in very stiff mountaineering boots.

Having had my foot waggled about in lockwoods last week, I was told that there was a slight (vagus ?) tilt to my foot which naturally puts more pressure along the outside of my foot and reduced pressure on the big toe area. lockwoods tried to make room on the outside (right) edge of the right boot to ease this. Doesn't seem as bad on my left foot.

(I think that my allignment on the bike needs work too as I get more problems on my road bike than my mountain bike with the same shoes. I use egg beaters. )

Will I have to spend lots of cash at a podiatrist Shocked or are there any off-the-shelf shims etc. or bodges I could try that might at least ease the symptoms slightly without risk of causing other more severe problems ? I believe that for cycling shoes, specialized at least sell shoes which take various vagus shims at the ball of the foot and heel riser shims.

cheers all,

Gareth.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.solutions4feet.com/ might be a good place to start. The guy who runs it is a member here, so you could contact him (CEM).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatgaz, I find Superfeet insoles work very well, and can be used 'off-the-shelf' or customised best fit.

A pair of the green ones were made up for me with a 3degree tilt for skiing, but I also use them in any shoe/boot used to walk far:
http://www.superfeet.com/products/Green.aspx

A pair like the blue ones are in my cycling shoes, unmodified (mine are Red, around 10 years old, but look like much the same design):
http://www.superfeet.com/products/Blue.aspx

The shop linked to by rob may well be a supplier and qualified to offer a personalised fit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
balernoStuA wrote:
pair of the green ones were made up for me with a 3degree tilt for skiing

hmm.... I was sold some 'orange' trim-to-fit superfeet insoles, but nothing was mentioned about putting a tilt on them. the superfeet footbeds seem to be quite good and comfortable (better than any others i've tried) but are expensive for what they are (especially as they are not customised).

what was done to tilt them ? was the insole ground down or was a ramped shim added underneath between the footbead and the boot ?

I had a look at the website, bit confused by the selection available, doesn't say anything about tilting the footbeds.

Gareth.

PS, I also have some pain/aches in my arch that I think is Plantar Fasciitis - probably due to tight achilies/soleus muscles and the fact that i've been doing a bit of running lately (restarted circuit training to reduce belly) - which my feet/legs/body hates.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Specialized do MTB shoes with various shims etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatgaz wrote:
balernoStuA wrote:
pair of the green ones were made up for me with a 3degree tilt for skiing

what was done to tilt them ? was the insole ground down or was a ramped shim added underneath between the footbead and the boot ?

Gareth, The tilt is lateral, created by strips of foam with a 3degree slope stuck to the heel and part of the forefoot area, effectively raising the inner edge of the footbeds. It was done by a guy called Bernard Chesneau in Val D'Isere a few years ago, but a quick google reveals that he now uses a different product for custom orthotics: http://www.ski-mastery.com/orthotics.htm.

Maybe some of the UK Superfeet outlets offer a similar service?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
balernoStu wrote:
Maybe some of the UK Superfeet outlets offer a similar service?

I wonder if a tilted footbed is only something that a podiatrist can do in the UK ? I haven't seen any tilting shims etc. for sale, only complete footbeds.

I might give the local uni podiatry department a ring and see if the words 'ski' and 'bicycle' mean anything to them.

G.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plus CEM is a proper Pedorthist............. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight wrote:
Plus CEM is a proper Pedorthist............. Toofy Grin

CEM does indeed sound like an ideal guy to visit if he's local enough.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy