Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car rental in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
... can anyone tell me if the rental companies in Italy fit winter tyres as standard (as happens in Switzerland for example) ... or do you need to stump up for the skierized optional extra to be sure to get the snow tyres (and dreaded snow chains)

thks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have never found winter tyres at Milan or Turin.
Let me know if you are offered any.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used Avis at Turin, and they didn't.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will be renting in Italy also, if you have skis will I need a roof rack for a small family car, there will be three in the car or can I open out the back seat and extend skis from boot to rear seats?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
doogo, stump up for the skierized I believe. I'l be doing just that in Jan. You could get the bus though http://www.mtbus.it/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We've just booked our car hire for Italy in Feb.

check out these guys http://www.autoeurope.com/

they are way cheaper than any other company at the airports, even though they are just brokers who hire the car through the bigger companies like Hertz and Avis.

We were told that we'd have to pay extra for winter tyres so we're just going to get snow chains when we get out there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it not the case that snow chains can only be used in heavy snow but winter tyres will give you better grip on ice etc, when you couldn't put on snow chains?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter Ross, that's what I thought - really would like the snow/winter tyres for grip - and only have to resort to the snowchain debacle as a very last resort

shoogly, ta for the heads-up on the car hire firm, will have a look-see now
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am curious, in Italy I'd imagine most people that drive up from Milan and further south wouldn't have winter tyres so is it an issue or is it a case that you would feel more confident if you had them and also less likely to slide off the side of the mountain!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Ross, no idea but I couldn't find any info on any of the car hire sites. Looked at the transfers and the bus which didn't really suit us. Just booked it with hertz and the skierize option. I'd rather have that than take a guess.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Is it not the case that snow chains can only be used in heavy snow but winter tyres will give you better grip on ice etc, when you couldn't put on snow chains?
snowchains can be used (and sometimes have to be used) even in quite light snow, it depends whether it's wet and slippery, and on the gradient. Certainly winter tyres can keep you going in situations where ordinary tyres wouldn't, but it's also possible to need chains even with snow tyres. Chains are a pain, but are essential to have. You can certainly use snow chains on icy roads. Where there isn't much snow on the road they don't do your tyres any good, but then they won't be your tyres.... One of the problems with chains is having to drive slowly - but then if it's that slippery you'd be driving fairly slowly anyway. Cars vary too. One of the best I've found (not that I've driven that many in the snow) was a Ford Focus, which seemed to have really good grip on the road.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Ross, will be driving a Van with 6 others (including the mother-in-law) so have a few people to worry about and not too happy about driving a tank for starters so the winter tyres and extra grip would be comforting - though am interested to hear what people think about the benefits of the tyres (good/overrated/waste of time)

pam w, if only the bloody chains were a little easier to put on and off - though i'm thinking that they should be slightly easier on a big van than a ford fiesta for example - not quite as fiddly ... am with you on the merits of driving a rental (don't have to worry about tyres etc. - per Jeremy Clarkson - 'his favourite car to drive is a rental - coz it's the only one that you can go from 5th gear to reverse in one go' Toofy Grin )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy