Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

18 - 30's Ski Holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, newbie alert over here BTW! Smile

Alow me to introduce myself.

Iam karl and hail from the wonderfull city of liverpool, im 25, and ive been skiing 4 times in the past with high school, so i havnt skied since i was 16 (wow thats almost 10 years. Puzzled ).

Ive been to Austria twice, and Italy twice. I have to say i preferd the Austrian slopes of Gotzens and Salbach to the Italian slopes of Cormayor & Pila.

Anyway my brother and i (and possibly others) are looking to get away in January for some skiing.
Im so not savy about which are the best resorts, or what it costs these days, and would realy appreciate some help, advice & info.
We are both proficient skiiers so we wouldnt need an instructor but people who havnt been before might.

I guess we would be looking for somewhere in europe to help keep the cost down, but would also consider America or Canada for skiing.
Can anyone recomend some good resorts with freindly people and good slopes/powder?
With us being young lads we would like somewhere with good night life, bars, clubs, etc.
We would also consider traveling by train and boat if it keeps the cost down. We could do upto 12 hours on a bus or coach but no more.
The 4 times ive been with the school we traveled on a coach for 48 hours one way and its a killer.

So a few questions:

*What is the average cost of lift pass?
*What is the average cost of ski hire and boots?
*How can i find weather reports for ski resorts?
*What is the average cost of a ski instructor for the day?
I suppose the big question is:
*What is the best resort for night life, bars, clubs, bands etc, it is important to us to have somewhere with good night life.
*We'd possibly being looking to do ski diving, or hot air balooning, or a bungee jump also.

So if there is anyone out there who is willing to give me some time and info i would much appreciate, maybe i can return the favour with some plumbing advice or tiling advice. Smile

Any other good web sites to get info from would be a grate help, although im hope this site will be a one stop for all the info i need.

Thanks for reading. Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Karl Moto, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Of course, in introducing yourself you've missed off one important piece of information.........red or blue? wink

I'd suggest Salbach in Austria would be a good place to look at. Cheap flight to Salzburg and then either taxi, car hire or train from there to resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree.

Saalbach-Hinterglemm is a sound choice.

Good snow.

Lots of intermediate slopes.

Busy nitelife.

Plenty of opps to get the ride.

Enjoy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
haha. Well i was unsure wether to even put liverpool in there incase somebody got scared and thought i might want to rob them or something.
Im a Red anyway, Big game tommorow.

Thanks for info so far.

Whats a ball park cost inc, skis, flight, hotel for say mid Jan?
Can you recomemd any hotels?
What is the best time of year to go?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
how often do you guys go skiing anyway? and where have you been?
Im sure Salbach was my very first time skiing. It was an Interski holiday back in 96 i think?!?!?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Karl Moto,
Quote:

Iam karl and hail from the wonderfull city of liverpool,

There is always the M62 if you want to see a real City. wink

Cheapest sensible time to go is January, December may be cheaper but if you are after night life you will probably find little.
Cheapest way to go is generally picking up a last minute package from a tour operator, the price is generally deeply discounted, you should be able too pick up packages with half board for £250 or often less in low season weeks.
For finding the best snow booking last minute also gives you the opportunity to assess snow conditions.
The biggest drawback is that you sometimes have to go from an inconvenient airport or cannot get your first choice of resort.

I'm middle aged and probably not the best for knowledge of nightlife.
In general Austria gets the best reputation and France the worst.
The following resorts have a reputation for being reasonably priced and lively and should have good skiing in the right snow .
Most in Andorra
France Les Deux Alpes
Italy Sauze d'Oulx
Austria Kitzbuhl, Mayrhofen, Solden, Saalbach
All prices will vary
Lift passes vary in price in a recent poll here most were between €120-220 for 6 days with an average of around €180.
Ski and boot hire vary a lot according to quality and place of hire and whether booked in advance or not I would guess at lest €100 for something half decent but am not sure.
Lessons are mainly booked by the day for private lessons when they are expensive. Group lessons often will have minimum of three days and most people take 5 or 6. Again varying prices.
Snow reportrs are often discussed here on snowHead 's. The SCGB is another good site. J2Ski does forecasting. Each resort will provide a short term forecast and give current conditions and usually have cunningly placed web cams to give a sometimes flattering pictire of current conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Karl Moto, that's alright then. We let Reds stay snowHead Just watch out for charlatanefc.....he thinks he's clever by being a blue wink

T Bar wrote:
There is always the M62 if you want to see a real City. wink

T Bar, I think Leeds went downhill a long time ago
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B,
You travel too far.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Karl Moto, Hi and welcome to snowHead

I'm middle-aged and don't have the confidence of youth but will try and help. Not sure why I'm replying as Liz B's mob will all be crying tomorrow anyway wink

Firstly, in picking January you've picked the cheapest time to go skiing ( iirc weeks from Jan 5th- 26th this year). This will have some repercussions for night life in that resorts are generally quieter -- but it's just 'Families' that are missing so no issue for you .

I can't advise on night-life but if you read above and around this site then Austria is always high on the apres-scene hit list.

Your best bet may be a TO who includes hire. passes etc.. shop around .. Last Minute offers for Janury will undoubtedly be excellent .

One final (if I may ) word of caution -- a 10-yr gap and 4 weeks prior experience might suggest an initial group lesson or 2 (just to confirm that level of proficiency of course wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Re Nightlife

check this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32434
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beaver Creek is a good bet.

okay I'll get me coat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it OK to ask about tiling yet?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just realised i've never been on one, nor will i be able to! Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Not long now till the SAGA brochure Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hmm this is like my post i was lookin for some kind of 18 - 30s thing cause skiing is probably the best thing in jan but as we was lookin for somethig more like ibiza we would definately want some kind of lively place!! seems like people suggest andorra and austra.. ive heard austra is really expensive tho ?! x
snow conditions
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Not long until you can move out of that Cub Scout uniform and become a real Scout. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
in terms of being expensive and were i have been ..... france most expensive then italy then austria closly followed by andorra, i always had pre judged austria as expensive but to my pleasent surprise found it was on par with uk. My yardstick for this is a pint of beer with france at 6-7 euros and austria at 3-4 euros.
ski holidays
daveqpr, Is Austria really cheaper than Italy? I'd always gone to Italy 'cos I thought it was cheapish. I might try Austria next time, I've always wanted to go but thought it was really expensive.
ski holidays
ickabodblue,
Prices vary a lot within as well as between countries but I would agree withdaveqpr, that the non-major Austrian resorts offer great value.
latest report
ickabodblue, I found italy pricey mainly for lunch on the slopes i went to sauze and had lunch in sportina regulary and found most of it expensive canteen food. Whereas in austria the mountain huts (zell am zee and saalbach) served good food and the price was good too. Always found that the french just wanted to profeteer. These findings are from my own expeirence of where i have been and obviously you cant judge a whole country on it
snow report
daveqpr, Yeh, but T Bar agrees with you that good value can be found. When do the 2009 brochures come out wink Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Agenterre
Quote:

One final (if I may ) word of caution -- a 10-yr gap and 4 weeks prior experience might suggest an initial group lesson or 2 (just to confirm that level of proficiency of course )

Ah ha! Yes but im young and stupid and know everything.. Puzzled

lol, surely its like ridding a bike? once you've lernt you dont forget? im not too worried about lessons, just hit a few blacks first to warm up and then take it easy on the blus. Smile

Job Bob: what do you want to know?

Thanks so far peeps. Nice to see a bit of batter.

So im leaning towards Austria, Andora seem too far south and probaly warmer? Is peek season FEB/MARCH?
snow report
Karl Moto,
Quote:

Is peek season FEB/MARCH?

Feb is highest cost and busiest .

Best conditions may peak at any time. On average Feb for lower resorts March for higher ones IMO
ski holidays
Karl Moto wrote:

Ah ha! Yes but im young and stupid and know everything.. Puzzled

Young ? No ... because you're a Liverpool supporter wink wink

Apologies Toofy Grin
latest report
no its cos im superfly! better get my skates on or ill miss kick off
snow report
Quote:

Is Austria really cheaper than Italy? I'd always gone to Italy 'cos I thought it was cheapish.

We thought that too, went to Livigno which was cheap, then Cervinia, which wasn't. Decided to go to Ischgl, and got worried because of it's expensive reputation - but it was much cheaper than expected - it wasn't super cheap, but was such good value. So much so we are going back this year!
snow report
Dear Karl,

if you are not tied to school holidays then you have lots of chances to get a great deal. As others have said the weeks in January after New Year and before the Feb half term are by far the cheapest- but even cheaper if you wait until just before you go- in the past my wife and I never paid more tan about £250 each for a weeks skiing including flights transfer accomadation and full board (and about £120 lift pass £100ish skis and then spends)- and that would be to a good resort such as Val d"Isere- you can do it for much cheaper.

From Liverpool you could get flights to Geneva / Saltzburg / Venice / Barcelona/ Milan/ Turin / Chambrey or any number of charter flights from Manchester and then sort out your transfers and accomadation- but I think if you can pick your week in early Jan then a package will be cheapest.

As scousers it really doesn't matter where you go- you'll have a great time- you will find the best bars / nightlife- it's in your genetic makeup. For cheap and cheerful tax free fun try Andorra (never been myself- but apparently a strong British presence and very cheap booze) also Livignio in Italy.

Some resorts in Austria have a reputation for young Brits partying- Mayerhofen- when I was a lad it was the Scotland Yard Pub where flaming B52 cocktails were downed trying to impress hoards of Swedish girls (if I had known then............) also Kirkberg.

I don't think that you will get anywhere near snow on a coach in less than 12 hrs!! sorry - no chance- at least 24hrs- but what are crates of Stella sold on ferries for ?? Perhaps 20yrs ago - but now with low cost airlines there is no excuse for this level of stinginess.

If you are going to get a package deal then the choice of operator is probably really important. Again when I was looking for cheap and lively ski holidays I went with Top Deck (basically aiming at the ultra budget backpacker type market / students) they were good because- everyone else was also skint! So cheap beers at teh bars (and cheaper if bought from the supermarket) bar / drinking games/ cheap ski hire and lots of fun- but communal dorm type rooms / very loud parties. I don't know if Top Deck is still running?- I'll check.

Ski World is fairly well known as a budget operation- so like minded people- but obviously YGWYPF.

Have fun!
snow report
yes- Top Deck still exists - I think that they are in a new place in Kirkberg- the old one was an ancient wooden miners dormitory- it was great.

they advertise as 18-30s ski holidays and have very cheap week at around £250 brochure price for mid Jan- this will go down shortly I'm sure.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't been with top deck for 15 years but their trips to Andorra were cracking fun and the spirits were just poured straight into a tumbler from the bottle, they wouldn't have got more than 6 or 7 shots from a 70cl bottle!...2 quid a pop aswell.
edsilva does the scotland yard pub no longer exist?, used to have a laugh there before going on to the strass to catch brian cristopher set....was hoping it might still be the same when we go back next year.
ski holidays
ollski, no idea if the Scotland Yard is still there- I haven't been to Mayerhofen for nearly 20 years now- I think I spent my 21st at the Scotland Yard......???? wink
ski holidays
ollski, yes it does see http://www.scotlandyard.at/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy