Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glove technique

Poster: A snowHead
Best way to put gloves on. Discuss. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First one is straightforward. The key with the second one is to use your teeth Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would suggest right hand glove for the right hand, and vice versa for the left, as they can prove to be uncomfortable if worn on opposing hands. Something to do with the thumb, apparently....second tip is thing to remember is to have a piece of elastic attached to both, running up the insides of the sleeves and around the neck, just on case one were to work loose.

Glad you brought this up actually - it's the simple things which cause the most accidents after all
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

remember is to have a piece of elastic attached to both, running up the insides of the sleeves and around the neck

Fantastic tip. Also useful if you want to take them off whilst on the chairlift. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor wrote:
I would suggest right hand glove for the right hand, and vice versa for the left...

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that. I always aim to put them on 'Open end first'. This, I find, keeps the coldtime down, thus reducing the risk of hypothermia and runny nose.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Would love to help on this, but I get MrsPhillipStanton to put mine on for me.

I'll check with her when she gets home later...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another useful tip is to put only one finger in each of the extension bits. If you by mistake put two (or even more) fingers in one of the extensions, they may become compressed leading to decreased circulation and maybe even frostbite.

If you find this difficult there is a simpler kind of glove calles a "mitt" which has only two extensionis, one for the thumb and one for all of the rest of the fingers together. It is even more important with these to get the thumb in the smaller extension and the fingers into the bigger one as all four ingers in the smaller one might be very risky or even dangerous.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is very useful. Can we make it a sticky?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remember, if you are right handed, put the right glove on first.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

have a piece of elastic attached to both, running up the insides of the sleeves and around the neck, just on case one were to work loose.

You should also always have your mummy's mobile phone number, the address of your hotel or apartment, a hankie, a few sweeties and your bus money home; this last can be inside the glove.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This thread is totally ridiculous, its just a mickey take, everybody knows its taking gloves off that causes the problems.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
This thread is totally ridiculous, its just a mickey take, everybody knows its taking gloves off that causes the problems.

Not for me. Again, MrsPhillipStanton to the rescue. She's really quite useful. I'm thinking of keeping her.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oiutsad nboiptry rewASUT YRUOUOIBF QEWOIUTRHG GHFK;LIOPCRWEDAS IPOBM
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
excuse me, it's difficult to type with your gloves on.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't under estimate the seriousness of this thread where children approx 5 yrs old and under are concerned rolling eyes
ski holidays
please tell me this is not serious rolling eyes
ski holidays
debbi, Well........maybe a little tongue-in-cheek wink , but honestly have you ever tried to get gloves/ski mittens on a small child?

Any form of gloves are a nightmare - most small children inevitably get more than one finger in a finger channel. Mittens are a little better - most small kids can manage a single one after about age 2, but often the second on is more difficult, esp. if they have a tighter cuff as most ski mits do. It difficult for the child to manipulate and hold onto the second mit once they have the first on. A better ruse is to help with the first, but it still takes several goes before they learn to push their hand into the mit as the helper holds it and pushes it towards them, rather than pulling away from the pressure. B.t.w. before anyone asks yes, my kids do have theirs attached by elastic Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, can't say that I have, but i understand the problems with kids, I was more concerned that adults needed advice on putting gloves on Shocked Laughing
snow report
Any idea how I can find my lost glove? Last seen in Chamonix in Dec last year around about the time I was meant to be using the putting them on technique.
snow report
angelaclark, best way to find a missing glove is to go out and buy a new pair. About 30 seconds after you shred the credit card receipt, the lost glove will miraculously appear.
ski holidays
Anyone needing advice on technique for putting on gloves probably shouldn't be allowed out in cold weather unsupervised. Get mittens and a plank.
ski holidays
angelaclark wrote:
Any idea how I can find my lost glove? Last seen in Chamonix in Dec last year around about the time I was meant to be using the putting them on technique.

Don't worry angelaclark, the Chamonix pisteurs walk all ski runs at the end of each season and pick up all lost equipment. They leave everything behind the main counter of "Sports Alpin" in Chamonix. Just pop in there - describe your glove and you're sure to get it back.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Smile
PhillipStanton, its quite likely I didn't lose it on a ski run. However, do they allow you to claim for any lost skis? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
angelaclark wrote:
...its quite likely I didn't lose it on a ski run...

It's ok. They search the whole mountain, all of the town and all accommodation. IIRC Sports Alpin sponsors this as a service to the community. Fear not, your glove is safe.
snow report
debbi, of course this isn't serious! Can't believe this topic has 23 replies (now 24).
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, I actually disagree. For right-handed, the easier method has to be to put on the left glove (or mitt) first. Then, the right one. This way, you at least once get to use your more skilled hand without difficulties in this process. For lefties, the right glove should go to the right hand before putting and struggling the left one on.

Also note that sometimes, in extreme temperatures, one might want to put a liner glove before the mitt. This increases the difficulty. Pay particular attention to what Nick L said earlier, particularly in these combination cases.
snow report
Timmaah, scarily some of the replies actually sound like people have thought about difficulties before posting !
snow conditions
**Coming soon: How to put your goggles on?** Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_aliasskier, You may laugh - you should see the contortions I've got into, trying to avoid being a 'gaper.' rolling eyes Embarassed
snow conditions
demos, you touch on an important issue regarding the stronger hand. I feel that we need to look at why one hand is stronger. Then and only then will we be able use this understanding to develope a set of drills to ensure there are no technique weakness in either hand.

This hopefully should lead to a drop in glove detachment incidents and therfore a subsequent reduction in low temprature chafe type of injuries.
snow conditions
Hurtle, haha I also laugh when I strap my goggles onto my helmet only to have them come off as I hadn't properly put them in the goggle strap restrainer!
ski holidays
demos, no. Use your "weaker" hand to put the 1st glove on (the 1st one is always easier), then use the stronger, now gloved hand to do the more difficult task. Trying to use your weaker hand while in a glove is recipe for a cold hand Cool
latest report
the_aliasskier, Yup, there's that too!
snow report
debbi wrote:
Timmaah, scarily some of the replies actually sound like people have thought about difficulties before posting !

But this is BZK. Of course we gove it deep thought. I'll have 3 experts coming along to post demo videos soon wink
snow report
It seems this thread finally got busted - as opposed to my thread on lift passes..... rolling eyes
snow report
Elizabeth B, it is clear that there is a difference of opinion as to whether to put on the dominant hand glove first or the non-dominant. Might I suggest that, as moderator, it might be useful if you set up a Poll asking which people do first?
latest report
minx wrote:
First one is straightforward. The key with the second one is to use your teeth Very Happy

I do this but, over time, there is a danger of tearing the woolly cuff from the main body of the glove. So be careful about the design of glove you choose, if this is your preferred technique. And, if the glove is of, shall we say, 'industrial' design - alert your dentist in advance.
snow report
A lot of good written ideas but afraid this thread is usless without videos

Off to search the tube
snow conditions
I am not sure any of us are really qualified to make such pronouncements. It is only after years of instruction that one can safely put a glove on. Incorrect wrist flex, or not pointing the glove downhill enough may cause problems. I am hoping to get the gamma angle of my gloves aligned properly this year as I am sure this is why I ski like a flying pile of cack...
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Could you recomend us all your preffered glove fitter please, I think that a well fited glove can certainly counteract my lack of fitness and present weight
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy