Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ankle ligament injury advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Damaged the ligaments in my ankle about 4 years ago in a snowboarding accident. Its never been the same since and can still be painful when pressure is applied in certain directions. Ive tried various physios very now and again but have had mixed results really.

Im not looking for a web diagnosis and prescription but would be interested to hear if anyones had a similar injury and recovered from it and what advice they might have.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I totally snapped my achilles tendon playing footy in April this year. Had to have it stitched back together. Its only now that the doc has said i can start exercise on it again! Having physio and working up my fitness.

I have a week booked to Vallandry on 19th - and barring any major break down will be skiing all week! I guess its a bit safer held in my big hard snug boot! (hopefully Confused)

Any advice gratefully received.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JDC wrote:
Damaged the ligaments in my ankle about 4 years ago in a snowboarding accident. Its never been the same since and can still be painful when pressure is applied in certain directions. Ive tried various physios very now and again but have had mixed results really.

I broke and dislocated my ankle about 5 years back. The best physio treatment I had came from an ex-football team physio. This involved getting two buckets of water, so hot that I could only JUST keep my foot in it, and the other so cold that it would just about support ice. I then had a programme of exercise which began with placing my foot/ankle in these two water baths alternately for specific periods of time (short periods!), finishing with the hot, then performing repeated stretching exercises, and finally ending up with the cold bath, and the most important secret ingredient, a glass of brandy or whatever! This technique is known as "Contrast bathing" and I was stunned at how effective it was over a few weeks - I went from having a pronounced limp and awkward gait to almost normal walking in that time, and never looked back, ending up with about 95% range of movement, whereas my surgeon had said I'd probably never walk totally normally again!

I have recently been seeing an osteopath about my back and she at the same time assessed my ankle and said there seems to be no physical reason why I can't work it up even further, to a full range of movement. She has advised sitting with my left leg crossed over the other, with its calf balanced on top of the other knee, so that I can get my right hand in a position to hold it under the sole, pushing my fingers through between each toe. Then I am to move it in all directions, repeatedly gently pushing against resistance and she thinks that's all it will take, together with some hamstring stretching as the range of movement extends. She also said combining this with more contrast bathing technique might be worth another go too if the mobilisation alone isn't enough.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JDC, I tore the ligaments in each ankle about 20 years ago (separate incidents) - our delightful NHS not only refused me any physio but even refused to give me crutches for the recovery period so I found myself hopping around school (and everywhere else) with the aid of one of my grandmother's walking sticks with my ankle wrapped up in a crepe bandage. I'm sorry to say it took about 10 years to get strength back in the ankles and even now they can ache in rainy weather. I'm also now reaping the results with overpronation, total lack of ankle flex and short/tight (painful) soleus and achilles as a result (I believe and have been told). So my advice would be to get any treatment you can because no treatment will potentially cause you longer term problems. Incidentally when Rutschen (Mr Eng) tore his ankle ligaments some ten years after I did mine, the hossie gave him crutches immediately, his work organised things so he could rest his ankle as much as possible including hiring an automatic car for him when he had to drive to meetings in Liverpool, and his ankle has healed fine)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did mine landing badly whilst playing basketball about 20 years ago. Managed a clinical fracture at the bottom of the tibia at the same time. Once the pain had gone away (I guess it took a week or so) I got straight into physio and spent hours pedalling an exercise bike on a very very low resistance... gradually building up the resistance over the weeks. Progressed to more weight-bearing stuff like stairmaster after a while. Today I have trouble remembering which ankle it was. JDC, take up skiing, your fun won't be curtailed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy