Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure there's been a thread on this but can't find it by searching, so sorry to go over old ground.

I'm a goggle person, whatever the weather, rather than sunglasses. I have 2 pairs of Oakleys - a pair for bright conditions and a pair for low light (which are an almost clear yellowy colour and were a rush purchase during a total white-out holiday). I find unless really sunny my bright ones are either too dark and in flat light the low light ones tend to flatten the slope too much and I can lose confidence in these conditions.

So, please - in your opinions, what is the best all-round colour goggles to have? I'm going to treat myself before I go to Val at Christmas. Thank you!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the Oakley range; I use the Hi-Blue which is probably that yellowy one you describe for low light, and the Black Iridium for everything else. Seems to work OK.

Can you buy a new set of lenses for the goggles you have?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

in flat light the low light ones tend to flatten the slope too much and I can lose confidence in these conditions.

Your goggles are probably doing the best they can, especially if they are the Hi-Blue (why are they called Blue when they're yellow, incidentally? I've often wondered). It would probably be even more difficult without them, and those sort of conditions are just really difficult and confidence-sapping for most people - certainly for me. I tend to favour skiing to the nearest cosy bar with a log fire and a vin chaud in those conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

why are they called Blue when they're yellow, incidentally? I've often

Isn't it because it filter's blue light?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like a light, warm browny/orange (Oakley used to call this Persimmon) for everyday use, as I find blue or grey ones can look a bit cold and dull.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pink for me. Makes the world a nicer place and pulls out detail in low light. An eyeropractor once wrote somewhere that different folks need different colours for the best result because their eyes react individually. I mean 'because they are different individuals' rather than each eye doing it's own thing like a chameleon. And yes, I had forgotten the word for optician.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
H.I Yellow-Oakley lens on Crowbars for when its dull, Black Iridium on Wisdoms for blue-bird days!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fallliner, I second the pink. When I bought mine I tried all sorts from the shop on a true white out day and the pink gave me much more depth of field than the Hi Blue/Yellow ones. They have the added advantage of being fine for medium bright light too so if the weather clears a bit, they're still OK. Bright sun is too bright for them though so I have a pair of Carrera Hyperred for bright days which work well for me too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
this thread has got me thinking,im probobly going to finland so not much skiing will be done in natural light,has any1 got any recommendations?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Persimmon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for this. I'll see if I can get some spare lenses rather than buy new goggles. I knew you could do it with sunglasses but not goggles too. If I can find a shop (think there's a big one in London) then I'll try out the different colours and make sure I get the right ones.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have an ancient pair of pink Bolles. I think they will have to be repalced soon. Not looking forward to that - they are much loved and trusted.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I visited the Oakley website - www.oakley.com/women Picked ski goggles for women (I chose A Frame) and not only does it display all their lenses within the different frames available but you can also see how they will view the snow. Choose, for example, Persimmon and then click on 'Lens Tints' and it shows you a simulated view of a half pipe - one side with the lens and the other with the naked eye so you can get a feel for what the contrast is (rather than staring around a shop imagining snow!).

Well, I thought it rather clever wink It's helped me narrow it down to either Persimmon (not sure if there is any difference between ordinary or high intensity) or the Pink Iridium. Think Permisson will win.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beverley, I'm not sure that you're necessarily going to find what you're looking for. Some lens are better than others in low light conditions, but when it gets to really flat light, everything loses contrast, and it comes down to technique, and confidence.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To be honest (irrespective of what the Manufacturers tell you!!) there's no happy medium to be had here, different colours react differently to every lighting condition.

So if you prefer goggles to glasses the simplest (and safest) way round this is, unfortunately carrying two pairs.

Dark lensed ones for sunshine/bright light and orange/pink for snowfall/low light conditions.

At least it gives you an excuse buy two pairs !!
snow report
dazman, I've never bought goggles for bright weather - I've relied on shades. Which are fine unless I fall in powder. So the secret is not to, which is fine until I do - usaullly when I am feeling smug about not falling. Embarassed
However, 2 pairs of goggles strikes me as too much bulk - and, OK, I prefer the shades.
ski holidays
achilles, Me too. I absolutely loathe wearing goggles, so will only do so if it's snowing.
ski holidays
I am another who goes with the goggles at all times for no other reason than I tend to find my eyes water too much when travelling at even modest speed and I end up skiing half blind Shocked
I used to have a pair of Scotts with a pink lens for low light conditions, but they bit the dust a while ago and I have never got round to replacing them, so rely on my black iridiums for all conditions. Not ideal I know, but I somehow seem to manage...maybe an idea for a christmas present!!
snow report
Or two lenses. I often carry another lens with me, most goggle bags have a pocket for this...
latest report
firebug wrote:
Or two lenses. I often carry another lens with me, most goggle bags have a pocket for this...

Ah yeah, nice idea. How do the frames stand up to lenses being pulled in & out nowadays? IIRC my Scotts didn't stand up to that too well, they kind of lost their 'grip' of the lens after a while so it would keep popping out. Mad
ski holidays
Big G, I buy goggles so infrequently I don't know what modern goggles are like. But in the past, changing lenses was such a fiddle as to be impractical - and I would have ost the friendship of my party in the process.
snow conditions
achilles, Yeah, I would probably pick a lens for the prevailing conditions for that day and stick with it. Can't be @rsed with fiddling around in lift queues etc Very Happy
snow report
I agree, that's why I generally stick with Persimmon. You don't want to be doing it often. But if it's a really bright day and I've put the mirror lens in, I like to take another in case it clouds over. You can always do it at lunch. My Anons seem to be ok with this, the Oakleys are a bit more of a struggle....
ski holidays
I have Oakleys with a Fire Iridium lens - used these last year in very snowy lowlight conditions. They were fine ! Cool
snow report
The oakley web site has a special guide to lense colours and what they do in snow even has an interactive demo have to say though the Hi intesity yellow iridium are great in everythign
latest report
Persimmon for me too - rode with them last year, in drastically variable conditions, and they were fine for everything (including the bright days). They were a bit rubbish when you were actually in the cloud, as happened a couple of times, but I guess that's to be expected....
ski holidays
my gold iridium oakley wisdoms were awesome in every condition i used them in. untill i dropped them off a lift Crying or Very sad
snow report
The problem with this dilemma is it's all down to personal taste.

I wear glasses normally (Oakley Eyepatch) for regular and sunny conditions and I've a pair of Quiksilver mirrored/orange goggles for when it's snowing and the light is down.

And Mark 20vt dropping stuff off a chair is a mortal sin!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy