Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski for 45% Longer With GO Gel?

Poster: A snowHead
According to the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, consuming regular sachets of GO Gel may help you workout for up to 45% longer:

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/society/health/sugary+gel+improves+endurance/1093257

Has anyone tried this stuff? I have no connections with GO Gel or Fuel Sport:

http://www.fuelsport.co.uk/productPage.asp?Pro=0300701
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, wear some compression underwear, get a Ski Mojo thingy contraption and consume Go Gel... add all their increased duration claims together and you'll never need to stop.

45% seems an excessive claim.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This place is starting to look like my spam folder.IS it 45% longer with GO Gel, or 45% larger with Gro Gel?????????? More and more like a dodgy online pharmacy every day. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, well that sounds like a really well-validated piece of research published in a highly reputable journal...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I'll stick with ham omelette and crusty bread for my standard lunchtime slope-side calories.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I assume they're like the various Gels you can get for distance running, in which case, a) they are like eating snot (sorry) and b) they are ok if they don't upset your stomach, which they do me. Personally, I'm porridge & jelly babies Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jerry, sounds much tastier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold, I've used it whilst cycling, only a notable difference when you are really pushing yourself.

and yeah as Jerry says, it is like eating snot, really salty snot.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
george_1,
Quote:
as Jerry says, it is like eating snot, really salty snot
Is that roll between your fingers and flick at other skiers kind of snot, or more like drippy on the end of your nose smear over the back of your hand kind of snot?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Lawrie, The latter Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bleeeuuuucccchhhhhhhh!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold,

Go gel is for Losers........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
According to the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, consuming regular sachets of GO Gel may help you workout for up to 45% longer:

The Study Link

The 45% claim appears to be based on the run time to exhaustion of 7 male soccer players

Looks like a very weakly designed study, and I'm surprised the p values suggest statistical significance. Has anyone access to that journal online?

Product X may help you run faster / jump higher / satisfy your wife

If it worked, it would say

Product X makes you run faster etc. The 'may' is there for a reason. (To get people to part with their money)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These products work 100% when used at the correct times during an intensive work out. They are actively used in pro-fessional cycling especially in Grand Tours such as Tour de France .... but they are very specific to the type of work out i.e. whether you are looking for stamina or speed.

They do though taste like poo-poo and I much prefer to eat more complex carbs throughout the day for slow long term energy release. If I was to use Go it would be at around 3.30 when I need a sharp increase in energy and concentration to get me quickly and safely back over the mountain ridges to get that last lift home.

There was a big post on a cycling website recently about whether Isotonic carb rich drinks are better than home made 'natural' versions and the general response was, the drinks made by companies such as Go, although are not particularly revolutionary or special, they are perfectly balanced to replace key nutrients lost when performing specific types of activity.

By the way ... try Cliff bar (choc chip) as they are actually quite yummy for an energy bar!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gels are great for diabetics doing sports though Cool
snow report
The real question is whether it is actually any better than other similar products.
latest report
Prob not - I prefer the double size brand with a screw top. Very good for small top ups during the day. Also if you have the whitish vanilla flavour you can dribble it down your chin after leaning under the table doing your ski boots up and then loudly demand money from your embarrassed mates in ski restaurants Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
latest report
whatever happened to the mars a day theory!
latest report
I've used GO Gel for mountain biking and long distance running events ie 40miles over the Black Mountains in Wales. It does taste grim but it does work if you are on the move and don't have time to stop and digest something properly. Which makes me wonder how hard people are skiing if they don't have time to stop for something to eat.

Most fitness guides will tell you that you need the equivalent to your body weight in Kgs in calories per hour, so for me 92kg I'd need 92 calories in an hour. Which is nice!

Personally when I ski I'll be using a highly scientific cocktail of last nights beer, gluhwien, coffee, chocolate stuff and other high sugar content rubbish!
snow conditions
Quote:

Personally, I'm porridge & jelly babies

Jerry, If you're a guy, you sound delicious!!
snow report
General rule of thumb: if someone is having to advertise a 'food' it's because it's rubbish - if it was any good we'd already be eating it. When did you last see an ad for carrots?
snow report
gudo216 wrote:
Personally when I ski I'll be using a highly scientific cocktail of last nights beer, gluhwien, coffee, chocolate stuff and other high sugar content rubbish!

Sounds Cool . Skiing is the one holiday where you can gorge on crap that all year you probably still eat (in moderation Laughing ) but feel guilty when you do. The word holiday is important to remember wink snowHead
ski holidays
There is an analogy to be used here. If you just fuel an engine and run it at max output without servicing it . . . it will self destruct. The human body (unless conditioned for endurance . . . and how many of us train with Lance Armstrong?) is just the same. Our cell structure breaks down and and is rebuilt with the auspices of RNA and if we don't give ourselves adequate recovery time to accomplish this we damage our bodies. For general use and even when conducting an active sport like skiing it's better to eat a balanced complex diet when we feel the need rather than load up with fast metabolising sugars that may interfere with our Insulin regulation.
I believe it's better to know how your body works, respect that and try to develop strength and endurance through the natural process, than to try to force it to perform at a higher level without 'servicing'.
snow report
If your thinking of using gels the ones by 'TORQ' are very tasty and also seem to work a bit like Red Bull if taken late in the day (good for those late long drives). tho i would'nt advocate the use of any of these nasty enhancers wink plenty of sleep and a balanced diet is all you need etc etc Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy