Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere to Geneva by car

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone suggest the best (quickest) route from La Rosiere to Geneva airport (French side)?

Looking at the map the choice appears to be the long route via Chambery or taking the short-cut at Albertville up to Annecy. I'm looking for the quickest route and I'll be driving in the evening on Jan 01.

The part I'm not too sure about is the bit around Geneva and getting to the French side of the airport - will I need to go on the Swiss motorway for a short time? And if I do that, will I get away with not having paid the annual charge?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, you won't get through the border post at Bardonnex without paying the motorway charge, but I would strongly recommend you bite the bullet and do that - it's only about £16. If you don't pay it, you could waste a lot of time and energy, as absolutely all signposting to the airport will take you to the Swiss side. To be sure of getting it right you'd need a map and a good navigator. It's very easy to get to the French side of the airport if you come in on the motorway. Just stay on the motorway till the junction AFTER (ie east of) the exit for the airport. Signposted Ferney Voltaire. It's very soon after the airport turning - probably not more than 1 km. Follow signposting for Ferney Voltaire, which will take you right back over the motorway and under the runway in a tunnel. At this stage IGNORE ALL SIGNS TO THE AIRPORT WHICH WILL TAKE YOU BACK TO THE SWISS SIDE. Once you go through the little border post at Ferney you will see a rather insignificant sign for the French sector of the aiport, immediately on your left. Job done. The quickest route is probably to stay on the motorway, even though it looks longer, rather than go down along the lake at Annecy. Especially in the dark. But others might have different advice - personally I would probably drive down along the lake, but I know the way and it's more interesting. Are you driving FROM Geneva to La Ros too?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, I shall be coming in from Chambery with a group but going home via Geneva. However, two of our group are driving from Geneva, but unfortunately the car is booked from the French side. Looking at other posts I gather that this was a mistake and I should have booked their car from the Swiss side since their motorway charge would have been paid.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jrbarntt,

Stupid question I suppose but can they ammend or alter the car hire booking?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had a look and so far no availability on the swiss side. I'm sure there is a car somewhere but by now will be very expensive.

Avis still has cars but they're an extra £200.

The French side isn't all that bad is it??!!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 25-11-07 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jrbarntt, if not, don't worry. It's no problem getting in and out of the French side if you know how. If your friends are picking up a car on the French side, do they know how to get out onto the motorway? Come out of the airport, turn right and immediately through the frontier post again, under the runway, then follow the signs to the airport, which take you onto the inside lane of the motorway - then get right out onto the motorway, signs to France. If you end up going through the Swiss side of the motorway, no problem, just follow the green signs to FRANCE.

They will need to make sure they have snowchains - obviously. But they might well have saved enough on the car hire to cover the cost of the motorway vignette (though it's not necessarily cheaper on the French side, the differentials are variable, and mystifying). But yes, if they can change their car hire booking, the Swiss side is easier and you usually, though not invariably, get winter tyres and chains included for no extra.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Incidentally, where and when can I buy the motorway vignette?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jrbarntt, you can buy them at border posts. The best thing would be to buy one when you pick up the car, and drive straight back into Switzerland at Ferney Voltaire. It's not compulsory there, and you would almost certainly get away with driving OUT of Switzerland at Bardonnex without one, though in theory you would have been breaking the law. However, if you are going to drive back in on the motorway you'll need one then - the hawk eyed guards let nobody through without one - and you might be in a hurry to catch a plane then, and not want any delays. So I suggest you buy one at Ferney Voltaire, when you start out. Or rather that your mates do.

You'll also have to pay French tolls, of course. Still, it's a ski holiday, money disappears out of the window! There's always a chance that the car you pick up will already have one - little sticky thing on the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror. If in doubt, ask at the border post.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,

Just to make life more interesting, I'm picking up a new hire car in Bourg St Maurice and driving back to Geneva by myself. The rest of the group, including their hire cars, are staying put for the rest of the week (dont ask, it's a long story!)

So...can my friends get me a pass at the border for a different car or is the registration required? I imagine it is. I guess that means I'll have to buy one at the border at Bardonnex on my way in to Switzerland?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jrbarntt, they're not registration specific but they get stuck on the windscreen and rip if you take them off. So yes, buy one on the way in, at Bardonnex. If you are on your own it would really be worth it, it's so much easier than trying to get there without using the motorway. Buying one at Bardonnex couldn't be easier - they will wave you aside into a special lane where someone with a machine will come to your car window and stick it on for you. Very annoying, just one of those things I hope your few days at La Ros will be good enough to make it all worthwhile. It's just remotely possible, though unlikely, that the car you hire will already have a vignette, so check.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy