Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have decided to abandon our trusty old suitcases and buy some holdall style luggage for our first trip of the season in January.

I cant decide what kind of capacity is needed. I have seen some really massive bags 120 / 130 ltrs which seem a bit over the top. Ive also seen some around 90ltrs but Im not sure that they are big enough (I will be carrying my ski boots in this luggage as well). So Im looking for comments really. I dont have a vast array of clothing to carry, Im a bloke!

Any comments on the following ....
ideal capacity?
recommended makes?
recommended styles (holdall, split bag thingies)?
what do you use and why

BTW - price is a factor cos we are a family of five.

All help / suggestions appreciated Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's limited point in a HUGE bag if you fill it up and then find you can't get it off the ground. Wheels get round this problem to an extent, but you're still going to have to lift and carry the thing occasionally.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cobra.. wrote:
We have decided to abandon our trusty old suitcases and buy some holdall style luggage for our first trip of the season in January.

I cant decide what kind of capacity is needed. I have seen some really massive bags 120 / 130 ltrs which seem a bit over the top. Ive also seen some around 90ltrs but Im not sure that they are big enough (I will be carrying my ski boots in this luggage as well). So Im looking for comments really. I dont have a vast array of clothing to carry, Im a bloke!

Any comments on the following ....
ideal capacity?
recommended makes?
recommended styles (holdall, split bag thingies)?
what do you use and why

BTW - price is a factor cos we are a family of five.

All help / suggestions appreciated Very Happy

Cobra,

Bear in mind that if flying, the airlines are a lot tighter on baggage weight nowadays, which means extra costs. Also, the bags with wheels on etc are great for transport, but will take up quite a bit of your weight allowance too. Most airports do provide trolleys nowadays, so is it really worth forking out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cobra.., following Arlberg, for example one of the really cool looking DaKine wheel bags is a whopping 5kgs in its own right - so, f'rinstance, 25% of your Easyjet allowance is the bag itself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dakine are good, strong and sturdy. We have 1 x 90 ltr and 1 x 120 ltr both split rollers. We still take a seperate boot bag. There are only 2 of us though. We've had them for 6 years - 2 trips a year and they are still going strong.

The only thing I would say is that they are heavy empty, and with airlines all clamping down on weight that might be something worth considering. I don't think you get anymore stuff in the holdall style compared to a suitcase.

Check out ebay or TKMaxx for better prices. But I do think you get what you pay for with luggage so would splash out as much as you can afford to get quality luggage that will last you years.

When I replace mine I will probably go back to a "normal suitcase".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am considering a medium (70 litre) one of these for next summer:

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cobra.., I have a two bags, one a Salomon and the other a large quicksilver. They both have handles and wheels for easy lugging about, very similar to Dakine bags and other makes aimed at the ski market. It depends on the airline you travel with - if you are travelling non budget you can pool your baggage allowance between the five of you as long as you do not exceed the maximum case weight.

I managed to get my Quicksilver bag up to 31.5 Kg on the way back from OZ this year Toofy Grin .

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TKMAXX nice wheeeley suitcase, light, robust and not too big. Mine gets a pair of boots, a lid, and some clothes in and its full. Despite that it will still weight about 20kg
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cobra.., Actually, we bought two ~80L wheely soft bags in our local "bag" shop which cost £15 each, took all we needed for a week including boots, weight about 1.5kgs. Only lasted 2 seasons but hey, at £15 and about 20 trips each year, hardly owed us anything...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We use a K2 bag and a Marker bag ( this bought in the U.S. to bring back all the other gear we bought Smile ) both holding around 90L which is more than adequate for two weeks. Neither have wheeels as they just add to the weight, and airports always have trolleys about. I always find them easier to carry than suitcases and a lot easier to pack ( well SWMBO does Madeye-Smiley )

Worth checking fleabay for some Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cobra.., I think its all been said already but airlines and baggage systems eat bags .. and the weight of the bag itself is important, so Heavy Duty cases are just not a good idea unless you intend carrying 'breakables'.

I also firmly believe that you should use unbranded cheap bags from your local cheap bag shop. 'Big Brand' bags are a target for content theft. Some come with light wheels but ime the wheels are soon destroyed in the baggage system.

I look for strong zips ( that you can lock with a small lock) and good handles and carrying strap. Only problem is wifey now buys them everywhere as they're so easy to store. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've used a North Face bag that was 120 plus ltrs..which is just too big and too heavy to throw around... Great bag though and takes a lot of punishment but I am selling it 9 offers..? ) as I now use an 80 ltr wheelie. It is a squeeze with boots if you want to take a few changes of clothes but I manage and I wouldn't say I am frugal with the clothes. I have a shoulder bag/holdall which I use a hand luggage now so that takes any over-spill inc the boots at a pinch...

I think I have finally cracked it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy