Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A 5-person Poma?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As I first switched on the channel 4 skiing this morning, I think it was where the England skiers were training in S America, one guy was using a 5-person Poma which looked a horrendous prospect to someone as inexperienced as me - the thought of everyone's disc flying sideways off at the end............. I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as I imagine Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I didn't see it, but it's almost certainly one of two 'Va et Vient' draglifts at Portillo, Chile.
One of them - the Roca Jack - serves the very steep run on which world speed skiing records used to be set.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep. You need to be a pretty good skier to use the Roca Jack Va et Vient - the journey up at high speed is as exciting, if not more, than the descent. You come to a stop at the top, still on the incline, no flat area, you are then stationary (after letting the bar slide backwards to take up the slack/play/backlash) backwards on a 38degree (or thereabouts) incline.... you then need a co-ordinated dismount with your fellow skiers, one at a time from one end (or rather from the end furthest away from the supporting cable), a quick hop off and slide backwards (down 38deg) before turning your skis to a sideways stop.

They are also known as the slingshot, for obvious reasons.

The top mountings come off the rock with alarming regularity after an avalanche, and cables, pulleys need re-attaching by climbing up and hammering back in! The regular avalanches in the vicinity are the reason why conventional lift and chairs installations are totally unsuitable - the towers and pylons would just be destroyed all the time.

Definitely NOT for beginners, nor for intermediates. Advanced/Expert skiers only!

Tourists are always screwing up the lift, they try getting off too early, dismounting from the wrong end, twisting the cables etc.

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr m and I both looked at each other and exclaimed " NO WAY" when it was shown on the tellie this morning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
so let nobody grumble about a bit of a steep and bumpy button lift, ever again!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I think it was where the England skiers were training in S America

Puzzled There's gonna be some mad scots along in a minute!

Did look like a mad lift though!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I saw that Shocked
I was Finlay Mickel (a scot Laughing) so I suppose he could cope.
I did wonder the snowHead "T-Bar-two" as they were know in L2A would make of it with three others on there too Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looks a little tricky on a board...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero, imposible I would say
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or on five boards....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we were thinking the same....and that was before you explained the dismount LOL
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You just need 4 other skiers, or boarders, that know what they are doing! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy