Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Comression Clothing

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody tried any types of compression clothing whilst skiing/boarding? This year Australian manufacturers Skins designed a range just for snow lovers that compress the most used muscles.

If anybody has tried these, let me know what you think. If you want to see some pictures, let me know and I'll post some for you.

Chris[/img]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ChrisJP, I've been using them for about 6-7 years now i'd guess....(the leg ones)

I like them... as do all my friends who have them....

Originals were designed for other sports people then they made skiing ones....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ChrisJP, Hate them to bits.

It's not that they're cold and clammy like regular Lycra; they're not.
It's not that they don't compress muscles and reduce fatigue; they do, and maybe even assist venous return, I can't tell.
It's not that they smell bad or feel unnatural; no more so than any other ski garment.

It's that they charge an ARM and a LEG for a MAJOR SETBACK in BATHROOM ACCESS TECHNOLOGY.

Skiing humanity* will never be the same.
Might even have to cut back on drinking
Shocked Shocked Shocked

admin, where's the bathos smiley?
*alright already, the male half, as if it really were half.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, now you know how it is!

I think I saw something like this in Marks and Spencer? Probably a lot cheaper than Skins. Wonder if they're any good. I don't find muscle fatigue much of a problem, actually. If it gets serious I sit down and have a vin chaud.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, It si not the immediate fatigue so much... but the longer term stuff

the following ski/board folks wear them it seems

AJ Bear
Alain Baxter
Alissa Camplin - Aerial Skiing Champion
Australian Junior Ski Team
Brad Spalding - Austrian Masters Downhill Champion, Director of Snow Sports Thredbo
British Ski Team
Canadian Ski Team
Cindi Kleh (USA) - National Snowboard Championships 2001
Cristina Ramadan
Daron Rahlves
Emma Carrick-Anderson (UK)
John 'Mad Cow' Hembel
Jono Brauer - Europa Cup and World Cup Slalom Ski
Manfred Wolscher
Manuela Berchtold - 4 x Australian National Champion Winter Olympian
Mark Raymond - National XC Ski Team
Matt Belleville - Race Coach
Michael Milton - Downhill Speed Skiiing
Rowena Bright
Stephen Lee
US National Team
US Ski Team
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, compression garments are more common than some realise; the cost comes down to getting more elastic, like buying waterpolo grade Lycra rather than regular Speedos, in a cut that doesn't require bunching above the boot or at the knees or hips.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 24-11-07 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saw the ordinary sports and women's skins in one of our ski shops the other day and was intrigued as to how they can possible work. Very expensive too
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the following ski/board folks wear them it seems

but those people do work just a tad harder than I do..... wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, they are also probably sponsored athletes and do not pay Wink

I do not mind buying mine.... but I have this summer bought some alternate brand ones from the USA at good prices.... I'll tell you what I think in March or April.... they were much cheaper than the skins - but were on mega-sale!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CW-X?

I've been using fleece-lined kayak rashguard shorts too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ChrisJP, On the advice of a sports physio (for a persistent and annoying hamstring problem) I wear Under Armour leggings for all exercise. It's fine and not that expensive if you order online. (It's a lot cheaper than Skins, possibly not quite as effective, but still pretty good.)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex,
Quote:

a MAJOR SETBACK in BATHROOM ACCESS TECHNOLOGY

This cannot be denied! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, yeah... what are they like? I got them for running.... but I'll try them skiing if I like them once i see them...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For what physiological reason would you want to compress the muscles whilst you exercise. I know that RICE comes into play for muscles damaged during exercise - can the compression described help to prevent injury?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think they are meant to avoid injury but to help with recovery (or avoidance) of fatigue. I have a set and to be honest I've not noticed much difference even when I sleep in them.
latest report
Megamum, they are graduated compression - so improve circulation...

http://www.skins.net/how_skins_work.aspx?m=45

http://www.skins.net/default.aspx?m=13
ski holidays
little tiger, Have followed links and read articles - very interesting thanks.
snow conditions
I put a thread up a few months back, did loads of research, and eventually bought skins purely for the tights, as others don't seem to do long tights that don't ride up, that don't have zips/drawstrings and aren't designed for warmth, like the Under Armour Heat stuff.

As Rob says, I use them for recuperation after hard training, hockey or injury. In fact I'm sat here in them now, as I'm coming back from a hamstring injury, and have played my first hockey match in 4 weeks, and have a game tomorrow.

In my opinion they work, they definitely reduce my muscle stiffness after hard exercise.

I've yet to try them skiing........

They are alternatives out there, but most of them only have t shirts, long sleeved shirts, shorts. Nike, Addidas and Under Amour compression gear are in the UK sports stores....

Canterbury have some new stuff out inc tights.

regards,

greg
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I don't think they are meant to avoid injury but to help with recovery (or avoidance) of fatigue. I have a set and to be honest I've not noticed much difference even when I sleep in them.

Hi Rob, interesting comments. Did you buy skins, and I assume they didn't help with stiffness after your slalom training??? Strange as they work at "sea level" for me Wink
latest report
kitenski, they were a Christmas present a few years ago. I did wear them overnight after a tiring day and then a fitness sessions in Tignes and to be fair I did feel OK the following morning, but but they end of that day I was aching like mad. How long is a typical delay in DOMS? Maybe I should have kept wearing the skins to avoid this?
snow conditions
Megamum, the real question is: would wearing compression garments obviate the benefit of PowerPlates?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/article73690.ece
ski holidays
rob@rar, they're not for DOMS. They are for reducing non-specific fatigue so you can get on with the task-specific training. The top does sort of help reduce blood pooling and numbness in the hands when I run...
ski holidays
little tiger,
Quote:

they are also probably sponsored athletes and do not pay

Skins activley advertise that they do not pay anyone to use their kit or give it away to them [i am sure they get a deal] and i am sure there must be some free kit around but they were advertising heavily on sky during the rugby world cup and making a big point about not giving kit out to athletes....

a little short sighted IMO if they want serious testimonials for their products
ski holidays
www.pro4sport.co.uk have a large range of skins.
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
little tiger,
Quote:

Skins activley advertise that they do not pay anyone to use their kit or give it away to them

I know people that were given it that is how I first heard about it...
latest report
endoman wrote:
www.pro4sport.co.uk have a large range of skins.

same price as everywhere else, never seen branded Skins discounted anywhere, including Oz stores.....
ski holidays
kitenski, I found some a little off the prices elsewhere when I got my last pair.... never big discounts though
snow conditions
CEM wrote:
little tiger,
Quote:

Skins activley advertise that they do not pay anyone to use their kit or give it away to them [i am sure they get a deal] and i am sure there must be some free kit around but they were advertising heavily on sky during the rugby world cup and making a big point about not giving kit out to athletes....

that still doens;t mean the athletes pay for them though. Their team probably pats for them.

Quote:

a little short sighted IMO if they want serious testimonials for their products

The exact reverse actually. It means that any testimonials they do get are more likely to be genuine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, may be so, on the testimonials

so they are lying with the TV adverts they put out about not paying athletes or giving kit away, IMO makes them an untrustworthy company and i would not want to deal with them
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy