Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski - strong intermediate skier, *light build*

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there I'm planning to go on an 8 week ski instructor course in NZ this summer (and a few long weekends skiing before that ofc) and was wondering whic skis to buy.

For the last few ast years I used a pair of Elan "Junior Race" skis but obviously I'll want to change these!
I like the feel of Elan skis but would welcome suggestions from any brand.

Stuff about me:

16 years old, will be 17 when I go on the 8 week course
7.1 stone (yes i know its light!)
approx 176 cm

Skiing: I'd say strong intermediate / Level 5 ( out of the Canadian 6-scale thing). About 9 weeks on-snow experience
No problem with green / blue / red, can do blacks but would like to work on style a bit more

Usually on-piste, enjoy a challenge though i.e. moguls / small jumps / bit of off-piste

My style is fairly aggressive, want a ski to match that - i.e. do a few small tricks i.e. 360 while skiing with ease, few jumps, aggressive turns / stops but also allow nice short carv turns

If you could reccomend a few skis that would be great thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey, I'm was pretty much the same as you when I was looking for skis.

I eventually went for the Scott P3's. They've got a good shape for carving, excellent in the air, nice and poppy. Although you sound like you might be a bit better than me, so maybe have a look at the Scott Punishers. The P3's aren't amazing off-piste but they still cope.

Or have a look at the Armada El-Rey's. Their all mountain, but I'm not sure how they would be for short carve turns.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 24-11-07 16:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads Xpyd3r.

On my BASI 3 last season, most all the guys who started on more park-oriented / freeride skis had to move over to more piste-oriented skis at some point. So, I'd suggest you look to something that's 70-80% piste-oriented, but can be taken off-piste. With a shorter than longer turn radius. Something like the Rossi Z3 / Z5.

The most "all mountain" I'd go at your weight is the base Scott Aztec. But I decided that my Aztec Pros weren't helping me last season and moved over to some Dynastar Contacts.

I'd suggest avoiding the P3s and Armadas. It's not that they can't be carved or short-turned. But you're going to have to work hard to do it at the standard required. And they'll be tearing your technique apart as it is...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yeah, welcome to snowHeads Xpyd3r
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Public Enemies
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why does everyone always suggest the Public Enemies?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
buckers, cheap, good carving, durable for popping off things, decent float in moderate mank, what more do you want for cheap?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 24-11-07 16:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex wrote:
Public Enemies

Great ski. But not for an instructor course.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess I just think they kind off just an off the shelf standard that people choose because it easy, just my ski-snobbery showing through!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Xpyd3r, have you thought to ask the course people if they have an opinion??

In Australia the instructor ski of choice it seems is usually a slalom ski of one brand or another depending on how you feel about the whole thing...Then again we ski most days on stuff that others would grizzle about....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
buckers, fair enough, I'd agree with PhillipStanton if the OP were heavier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey thanks so much for all the replies!

The P3's sound along the line of what im looking for - great for carving and 'good enough' off piste (off piste will just be for my own fun so i just need to survive it in some style lol...on piste is where im going to be judged, so...)
I have emailed the people on the course, but theyre 'sponsored' by Head so...I can kindof expect their reply.

Then again the Z3 looks just as good...

PhilipStanton - could you please explain what you mean about the P3s?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Xpyd3r, Public Enemies. Not only are they great skis, by being good twins, they would make instructing beginners (e.g.e skiing backwards) easy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In my mind your key question is whether you want a ski that will help you progress to the standard necessary to the pass an instructor's qualification. Or whether you want a ski to suit the type of skiing you'd like to do. Or a ski that's good for teaching on.

So, if you want to pull 360s and take jumps, then the P3s are for you. And a twin tip is great for skiing backwards.

But you don't get credit on a basic level instructor course for pulling 360s. And you don't need to be able to ski backwards to pass.

What you need to be able to do is ski consistently well on piste and show that you can ski off-piste and bumps with a modicum of style. The instructors will take you right back to basics and re-build your skiing. Which will be painful because your skiing will probably start getting worse, not better, as you make adjustments.
Xpyd3r wrote:
P3's...great for carving

I doubt that they'll be "great". If they were "great" the manufacturers wouldn't be making piste skis. You need to be realistic - these are park skis. They're designed to be ridden backwards and for take-off and landings. And, yes, they can be carved and short turned - but they'll only be "ok". And they'll need to be worked really hard to carve and short turn them well enough.

On top of all the physical relearning, the last thing you want is a ski that needs to be worked hard to make is carve or do short turns. You want a ski that favours short turns and carves as soon as it's put on edge. You'll also want it to pivot well - as you'll be sick to death of skidded turns by the end of the course.

My advice would be to buy a ski to pass the course and to ignore your "recreational" requirements.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah thats a point...
I dont do much park stuff but would like to try a few, but like you say the on-piste stuff is way more important.

I still like the sound of the Magfire / Speedwaves - does anyone have any experience with these?
Speedwaves are advertised as "pure carving" skis, whereas Magfires are "all mountain carvers"...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy