Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

November Snow on the Gorm

Poster: A snowHead

November snow seems to be the fashionable thing in recent years. Typically it coincides with the Funiculars mandatory annual maintenance window. Now if there were a couple of chairlifts.... rolling eyes

Lack of lifts didn't stop tourers and those prepared to hike, with people out on touring kit, telemarking, quite a few boarders who'd hiked up and even a couple of people kite boarding on the upper M2.

Heavy drifting on the higher slopes, overlaying slightly older snow in the Top Basin. After the cold crisp calm Friday a low pressure tracked over during the night with accompanying warm sector which raised the FL to around summit level for a time. Despite the overnight consolidation of the snowpack, still fence high drifts visible at the top. Could this maybe just maybe be the start of a base?

More: http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=382

Also: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,465
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, When do the lifts become available when there's snow?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good question. Seemed a good time to re-acquaint myself with my old mountain and its website. This is the official position as far as the funicular is concerned:
Quote:

FUNICULAR ANNUAL MAINTENANCE - NOVEMBER
This year the annual maintenance on the funicular railway will take place from Monday 5th November. We plan to re-open the railway to the public on Monday 3rd December. Please note that the railway and the Top Station will be closed to the visiting public for this period. The annual maintenance programme may be shorter and we will notify you of any changes on this web site.

Of course, there are plenty of drag lifts on the hill, and the Coire Cas (a T-bar of amazing vintage - I think about 1961) is usually fired up early in the winter.
But I couldn't see anything official about when any draglifts are opening. So maybe 3 December it is.

Loved the photos, Winterhighland! Thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, thanks for that. Pity there is no sleeper service on the East Coast main line. Even so, I may think about a trip up there this season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. Looks doable from Crewe, and there seems to be a reasonable bus service from Aviemore. Any problems taking skis on that?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's exactly what I was going to mention. I used to take the Euston-Inverness sleeper many times back in the 1970s (nostalgia welling up here) and - from memory - Crewe was the first stop. But it would be a late connection for you. It's well-timed for a day's skiing, though, because of the early morning stop at Aviemore.

Bear in mind that Cairngorm is 9 miles from Aviemore. I did use the bus last time I was up there. It's not that frequent, but it works.

If you've not skied Scotland before and want to maximise your chances, the sad reality is that a car is a big bonus. That way you can, for instance, choose between Cairngorm or The Lecht according to the prevailing conditions ... or head, cross-country, to the western ski areas.

The emergence of Nevis Range, and the (struggling) revitalisation of Glencoe make the west side a stronger proposition for many, though the weather at Nevis can be equally wild or even wilder. The scenery at Glencoe and Nevis is remarkable.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, the view down Loch Eil and out over the isles of Eigg and Rum is about my favourite in skiing ...

I would wait a couple of weeks before planning anything, the weather ahead looks like the typical rollercoaster of alternating snow and rain with some serious winds. (It always makes me laugh when I hear people talking about "storms" in the alps, meaning any old lump of snowfall.) Hopefully, we'll emerge with something of a base .... fingers crossed !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, I skied on Cairngorm in the 80s. Very much a beginner - the White Lady was a challenge. I'd rather like to go back. I rather fancied the night sleeper (used to use it on business trips) but maybe fly to Inverness and hire a car is the answer. Don't fancy driving up all the way.

brian, I have a slot late March in mind. I might simply not book anything - and opt for Scotland if the snow is right.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
achilles, late March is about as good a bet as you can make, I think. kiwi1 is planning a late March ski test at Nevis in late March so there should be a few snowHead s kicking about for that. There's a thread in snowEvents. I agree that having a car would be more flexible. The weather can be totally different at Nevis and Cairngorm for instance, and they're only an hour or so apart.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, kiwi1 seems to have gone for 5-6 April Which seems to be pushing luck a bit. I have been in Glencoe in April when the snow was fabulous (though I was snow gully climbing at the time) - but that was many years ago.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Those pictures are superb. I skied Cairngorm in the mid 90s again as a fairly new skier. 4 of us drove up from Liverpool on Thursday night arriving in the car park around 7am. We stayed in a place called The Bothy in Aviemore (old doctors surgery I believe). Had a great weekend. Drove back on the Monday. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dates for the Nevis Ski Test are 21st and 22nd March.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
David Goldsmith, thanks for that. Pity there is no sleeper service on the East Coast main line. Even so, I may think about a trip up there this season.

As far as I know there are regular sleepers from Euston to Aviemore - see here and here for details, IRC about £112 return which given it includes a couple of nights accommodation isn't bad at all - in fact better than Easyjet if you ask me and it allows you an extra days skiing.

I reckon for a weekend heading up on a Thursday night would be a good option for anyone like me who is outside London, you'd arrive early on Friday morning and can dump your bags wherever you stay, then grab breakfast and get the bus up the hill for the first lifts. Stay Friday night in Aviemore and then ski/board Saturday, then head back down Saturday night and be back in London early Sunday morning and then head home. Seems pretty excellent to me and I'm now considering it early season because the sleeper to the west takes that bit longer.
brian wrote:
David Goldsmith, the view down Loch Eil and out over the isles of Eigg and Rum is about my favourite in skiing ...

Gorgeous pic there Brian snowHead
Quote:
I would wait a couple of weeks before planning anything, the weather ahead looks like the typical rollercoaster of alternating snow and rain with some serious winds. (It always makes me laugh when I hear people talking about "storms" in the alps, meaning any old lump of snowfall.) Hopefully, we'll emerge with something of a base .... fingers crossed !

Yes, probably sensible to be honest but it's really exciting to see the first snow on the hill snowHead
Winterhighland wrote:

Yup, those are the final dates and it's reasonably realiable at this time of year - a few of us are heading up for this, looking forward to it and hoping the back corries will be open.

BTW, some more piccies now on Winterhighland from yesterday:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2773

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2774

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=2775
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, the Sleepers are 6 nights a week, they don't run on Saturday nights.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
roga wrote:
......As far as I know there are regular sleepers from Euston to Aviemore - see here and here for details, IRC about £112 return which given it includes a couple of nights accommodation isn't bad at all - in fact better than Easyjet if you ask me and it allows you an extra days skiing.

It's a really good deal for a Londoner - but I have to get across to Crewe to catch it.
latest report
David Goldsmith,

The funicular will be opening early after its anual maintainance, should now open saturday 1st dec weather permitting, according to the weekly email from CML
snow report
Quote:

the isles of Eigg and Rum

Ah! names to conjure with. And then there's Muck. I remember a rather sleepless night in a gale, re-laying an anchor at least four times amidst kelp-covered rocks, in a bay on one or the other of those islands. Eigg, I think it was. Lovely pictures.
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
roga, the Sleepers are 6 nights a week, they don't run on Saturday nights.

Ah, a small hole in my cunning plan! wink Laughing

Adjust that to travelling up Friday night and heading back Sunday then, with Saturday night in Aviemore snowHead
achilles wrote:
It's a really good deal for a Londoner - but I have to get across to Crewe to catch it.

Sorry, my ignorance but is Crewe a long way for you?

I'd have to get across from here (Brizzle) to Paddington, then from there across to Euston - a bit more hassle than being based in London but then there are one or two other compensations when you don't live in London Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="roga"]
Winterhighland wrote:
.......Sorry, my ignorance but is Crewe a long way for you?............

About 100 miles by car (and then I'd have to find somewhere to park it - not idea what the Crewe station car park is like).

I could of course go by train. On 3 December, that would mean catching the last possible train from here and, after two train changes arriving at Crewe for a two-hour wait for the night sleeper. I don't think so.
It is all very well for DG to bang on about taking the train (as he has dine in the past) but in reality, going by air is a whole bunch simpler. Drive to airport. Guaranteed car parking. Fly to Inverness. Hire a car. All simply booked on line.

If there were an East-coast sleeper, that would be another matter.
snow report
achilles wrote:
roga wrote:
.......Sorry, my ignorance but is Crewe a long way for you?............

About 100 miles by car (and then I'd have to find somewhere to park it - not idea what the Crewe station car park is like).

I could of course go by train. On 3 December, that would mean catching the last possible train from here and, after two train changes arriving at Crewe for a two-hour wait for the night sleeper. I don't think so.

It is all very well for DG to bang on about taking the train (as he has dine in the past) but in reality, going by air is a whole bunch simpler. Drive to airport. Guaranteed car parking. Fly to Inverness. Hire a car. All simply booked on line.

If there were an East-coast sleeper, that would be another matter.

Yup, I can see that it'd be a serious hassle for you - I guess we're lucky here in as far as we can get over to London in under 2 hours and the rain services are really frequent, and if booked prior to travel not too expensive either. The one hassle as I see it would be getting from Paddington to Euston with bags and skis.

Given your location I guess Easyjet is the best option and if they fly really early rather than later in the day to Inverness (as is the case here) you might even be able to grab half a day on the hill too. snowHead

Anyway, as I say, and I'm sure you'll agree, there are one or two compensations for not living in London Toofy Grin

Question for Alan (Winterhighland) and anyone else in the know - is there still a ticket office this year for Cairngorm next to the railway station? If so it's worth flagging up for people because they can grab tickets there and save a queue, and sometimes a long wait, on the hill!
snow report
roga, Hmm. You got me thinking. I could take a 2 hour train trip to London arriving at Kings Cross in good time to go across to Euston for the sleeper. Less hassle than going to Crewe - even if going so far south to go north seems illogical. On balance, flying wins - and I may go for it. For domestic reasons, the ski test is a bit close to the MSB, though. Hmm!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
roga, Hmm. You got me thinking. I could take a 2 hour train trip to London arriving at Kings Cross in good time to go across to Euston for the sleeper.

Kinda similar to what I'd do I guess Smile
Quote:
Less hassle than going to Crewe - even if going so far south to go north seems illogical.

Yeah, it does sound like less hassle for sure.
Quote:
On balance, flying wins - and I may go for it.

Fair enough, I can see your POV Smile
Quote:
For domestic reasons, the ski test is a bit close to the MSB, though. Hmm!

LOL, I now all about those kinds of "domestic reasons" oh yes Toofy Grin
snow report
Trains eh, nice idea in theory but doesn't work in practice (in this country at least).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier wrote:
Trains eh, nice idea in theory but doesn't work in practice (in this country at least).

Not from Linconshire it appears but okay from here, London and anywhere within relatively easy striking distance of the 'big' smoke I'd say.

It should be better though, it really should!!
ski holidays
Forgot to mention. Travelling via KX means two trains and the Underground (or taxi). If I were travelling in Switzerland that wouldn't worry me for a microsecond, but in the UK the more trains I have to use, the more I worry that everything will work to connect me to the last train.
snow conditions
Here's a page with some pictures and info about the Sleepers: http://www.seat61.com/CaledonianSleepers.htm

These are real trains, what train travel should be, not the commuter cattle trucks. I've used the Sleepers several times in the last few years and I don't think there's a better way to travel between Scotland and London (or vice versa). If you can sleep anywhere (esp after a few beers from the lounge car), the seated sleeper offers excellent value and if you can lay your hands on a 'bargin berth' you can get an amazing deal.

The West Highland line is a simply stunning journey, and it would all the more magical in winter with a covering of snow to add to the dramatic remoteness of Rannoch Moor. Climbers certainly have caught on to the idea, each time I've been on the sleeper in winter months the bar cars have been packed with climbers. They can be a truly great crack. One train, three bar cars! snowHead snowHead

Some lounge car photos

^plotting an adventure in the lounge bar. Sod it pass another beer!

Some of the refurbished lounge cars:

ski holidays
Is that the one the climbers de-coupled from the rest of the train?
A cunning method of staying in Scotland.
ski holidays
Winterhighland, yup, it looks great. Pity those of us near the East Coast main line have nothing . I think we did once, IIRC. Anyway, I am thinking hard about some Scottish skiing this season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's about a 9 -10 hour drive from London to Fort William. However I did once ski at Glencoe till 4.30pm and then drive home. Not sure I'd do it now though - I might fall asleep at the wheel.
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:

Uh-oh. Penny's just dropped (I'm allowed to be slow, it's my age). That's Easter, and a no no for me. Pity - it would have been a guaranteed way of skiing with sHs up there.
snow report
Skied a bit at the Lecht when I lived in Aberdeen. Wanted to give Scotland a go last season, so booked myself a cheap Ryanair fligt to Prestwick and hired a car. Plenty of snow, only trouble was I couldn't seee a foot in front of my face so abandoned it after about 1/2 hr. (Nevis Range).

Next day II was skiing in perfect conditions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy