Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots after a broken leg!? Mega High Volume & Wide fitting - does it exist??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I broke my ankle in april this year and after 7 months its still much bigger than my other leg/ankle. I have 16 screws and a couple of plates in it some of which will come out next summer. I tried on my ski boots this week and was alarmed that my ankle/leg stretched the shell/outer bit of the boots to a point where it would barely meet and the tongue of the boot was sitting very oddly..... i did get them done up but they definitely would not have been comfortable for any length of time. I then went to my local boot fitters who tried me in the shell without the liner and they felt that the shell was not now high volume enough for my bad leg/ankle. They then considered a liner which has tubes hanging out which i think you either pump in air or foam (sorry not sure) but eliminated that too. Finally they suggested a new boot for me Nordica Easy 12 which yes did fit but i feel its too soft a flex for me. My current boot is a Technica Vento 8 in a size 255. I measure as a mondo 240 but have fairly wide feet and they fitted me in a 255. I also use Black Custom Superfeet inserts. I did approx 3 weeks skiing last winter in them and they were brilliant and comfortable all day. Apologies if this is covered off elsewhere on the forum.... rolling eyes but thanks for any help /advice offered.

Sooooo after that long story my questions are as follows;

Is there a boot which is higher volume than Technica Vento 8 (which also caters to wide feet) which has a reasonably high flex index (ie approx 70+ or thereabouts)? My local shop only stocks Head, Technica, Nordica and Atomic but can source anything i think.

Any tips or things i should consider whilst skiing with loads of metal/screws? Someone has suggested covering the screwheads with neoprene - is this a good plan or will it just add further bulk & volume to the shell?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Head Edge 11+, get it foamed with a sympathetic footbed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Var, welcome to Snowheads. Good advice from this one SMALLZOOKEEPER he knows about more than just the weather.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Var wrote:
I broke my ankle in april this year and after 7 months its still much bigger than my other leg/ankle. I have 16 screws and a couple of plates in...

[b] Someone has suggested covering the screwheads with neoprene -

Shocked Shocked How are going to get neoprene inside your ankle? wink

Kidding aside, I broke my leg 18 years ago and I was too squeamish for a while about putting any pressure around the fracture area, so I admire your determination to get back skiing ASAP.

Oh and welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I broke my left ankle, foot and toes....I'd never bought ski books until this happened but after that horrible break it meant I had to. I bought some Solomon heated fit ones, certainly is the only way I can ever buy boots as one foor completely different shape to the other. Try heat fit - not sure how much they do this in UK, I got mine fitted in Oxford. Not sure if the ice hockey boot fitters can do it, if so, most hockey boot fitters in UK offer this service I think.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks v much - have asked local shop to source the Head Edge 11 to try - fingers crossed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy