Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Uncrowded Alps Resort at Xmas - is there such a thing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking for a resort to ski at this Xmas for a short break - 22nd to 26th Dec. Can any one recommend a resort that will have relatively uncrowded intermediate slopes? I realise such a thing may not exist! We skiied in Val Thorens last year at Xmas and never again - the pistes were so crowded it became dangerous and unpleasant.

The US/Canada is too far for such a short trip, so am thinking somewhere in Italy?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nuttyprofessor wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a resort to ski at this Xmas for a short break - 22nd to 26th Dec. Can any one recommend a resort that will have relatively uncrowded intermediate slopes? I realise such a thing may not exist! We skiied in Val Thorens last year at Xmas and never again - the pistes were so crowded it became dangerous and unpleasant.

The US/Canada is too far for such a short trip, so am thinking somewhere in Italy?
Has it got to be the Alps ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Thuile has loads of intermediate slopes between 2200 and 2600m. I have been twice at half term and pistes were very quiet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nuttyprofessor, My family and I have skied La Plagne for the last 3 Christmases and it isn't busy Very Happy
Half term is very busy, New Year isn't that busy but busier than Christmas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nuttyprofessor, one problem might be finding accommodation that will take you for less than a week at this peak time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
krunchie63, no doesn't have to be The Alps, just somewhere with a not too long journey time...

boredsurfin, Thanks for that, I'd discounted La Plagne as skiied there at half-term once and it was horrendous!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been skiing the last 8 years at Xmas in different resorts and none have been too busy, New Year is much busier.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nuttyprofessor, the French tend to stay at home for Christmas and go away at New Year
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nuttyprofessor wrote:
krunchie63, no doesn't have to be The Alps, just somewhere with a not too long journey time...

boredsurfin, Thanks for that, I'd discounted La Plagne as skiied there at half-term once and it was horrendous!

Have you booked your flight yet ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nuttyprofessor, ummm yes half term is very 'challenging' Laughing

Have a look at www.mountainheaven.co.uk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nuttyprofessor i think Val Thorens may have been especially busy last year as it was one of the few places with snow!

we've skied there lots of times between christmas and NY and it's never seemed too bad..........

hopefully this winter everywhere will have great snow so the crowds will be much more spread out!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Two years ago we were in courmayeur on a day trip from chamonix on Xmas day it was uncrowded and just lovely one cafe handing out free oysters.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Roger C, you could be right about the snow conditions last year, Val Thorens was worse even then skiing in La Plagne at half-term!

Does anyone have a view on Champery? It seems to have a hotel that has availabilty over Xmas and may accept a booking of less than 7 nights...

krunchie63, the flights could be an issue, although at a push we could drive overnight, but will have to decide it it's worth the effort for a short break...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the French tend to stay at home for Christmas and go away at New Year

redrunmarcus is quite right. For that reason, might be good to avoid the "hordes of drunk packaged Brits in Santa Hats" destinations and head to a much Frenchier resort. Ours (Espace Diamant - Les Saisies, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, etc) is not too crowded at Christmas.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was quiet in Les Arcs last season until about Boxing day when it got a little busier. Even then the lift queues were short to non-existent and slopes were still quiet. It gets much busier for New Year.
snow report
nuttyprofessor, traditionally the slopes in Austria are quiet until the 26th, when all hell breaks loose! I usually go and ski in Kleinwalsertal over Xmas and go home on the 26th cos it's no fun after that! I have been in Lech on christmas eve and practically had the resort to myself. So you should be fine with your 22-26th break Toofy Grin
ski holidays
anywhere in Italy! Slopes generally much quieter any time of the year (excl. weekends)
But i would agree with most posters.....Christmas is actually not that busy obn the slopes. Have done la Plagne at Christmas and it was fine. Crowds only really build up towards new Year.
ski holidays
What is L2A like at Xmas??? Mad busy or not too bad....... Anyone know? Smile
latest report
williams691, not bad, usually. As everyone else has already said, the French don't make much of Christmas and do their partying at New Year.
snow report
Anywhere where the main UK TOs go will be busy at christmas so why not try some of the smaller resorts in the southean alps like PSV and Risoul plenty of new snow with cheaper prices than many of the larger ski domains,myself i`m off to meribel the offer was too good to miss?
snow report
Madesimo Italy uncrowded slopes at Xmas gets busier after the 27th Dec when the Milanise come up from Milan. :
ski holidays
bella ski Italia, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Stick around; we need more people with good local knowledge of the Italian resorts.
snow report
bella ski Italia, Is your knowledge also a TOs knowledge? your user name is similar to a company who run trips to Madesimo wink
snow report
Ski'd Les Arcs last 2 Christmas times, few busy lifts at peak times but never did it feel really crowded
latest report
ickabodblue, Yes your correct, I must say how delighted Iam in being word associated so quickly, for a small independant operator it means word is getting out. Just trying to raise the profile of the lesser known spots without links and with expert local knowledge and tell it how it is.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy