Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video clips I've just found on YouTube - "The Way to Better Skiing"

Poster: A snowHead
These have been added in the last month:

http://youtube.com/v/aofTCdhlyyY&feature=user

What it says about them:

"The way to better skiing" Learn how to ski through 11 professional teaching videos. Six of the best Danish ski instructors shows skiing for all levels in all terrain. Lasse Lyck, Klavs Klavsen, Rasmus Lundby, Tue Bak, Martin Hulten and Pernille Hornhaver.

I'm not at all sure about the commentary, but find the pics worth watching.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, I've only had time to watch the first one .... hmmmm.... some shocking 'tourist' skiers shown! The guy is trying to make it very simple, and some of the points are slightly dubious IMV. You should be aware that the Danish have tried very hard to get included in the Eurozone, but at the moment their top level is no-where near.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier, how about sticking links to them here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=747593&highlight=instructional+video#747593
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Before I comment on these, are any of the producers of that piece members of snowHead ? How tactful do I need to be? Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FastMan, who cares let it rip Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, OK then, skimottaret. (I still have Fox incident flashbacks Embarassed )

Just watched the first one. Not overly impressed. They throw a lot of unexplained jargon around to try to get points across that, as easiski says, are questionable. Leaning in to put the skis on edge??? Hmmmmmm Puzzled The rec skier they showed right after that bit was leaning in very well. Laughing

And that "completing the turn" thing; do they really know what it means? First, they show a rec skier making poorly executed tail toss turns that finish 90 degrees to the falline, and exclaim his problems are a result of not completing his turns. Then, they show a demo of properly done. The guy is connecting a series of quick turns that barely get out of the falline, while the commentator says, "always complete your turns". rolling eyes Laughing

The skiing in some of the demos was decent, but the flow and clarity of the instruction that accompanies it is weak.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fastman - easiski...did you like the commentary section that tells you "when you reach halfway (round the turn they mean) you apply weight or pressure" - I would be interested to know if this was just translated badly or that is what the danish commentary said...but don't worry..there are another umpteen episodes and they get worse.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, krunchie63, that halfway pressure thing jumped right out at me too. Here we go, growing the next crop of tail tossers. Early pressure/engagement be damned. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fastman - wait until you see episode 2...dynamic basic position...beautiful. Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the main issue for me is the soundtrack.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As usual you guys are making it way too complicated - this is what you want...
http://youtube.com/v/_CUFEnZeeYw
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can we put the italian ones up and get someone to do a translation that we can dub over? I liked their skiing Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger, you are so wrong. Italian technique? Nooooooooooooooo! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, I thought they looked fine.... Italian looking... but fine... nice video of different levels of skiing etc... From a ski instruction view point of course... beats the pants off the PSIA videos I've seen... wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SORRY FOR THE CAPITALS - I reckon it's a wee wee take. rarely seen such p1sh in my life. Except at 2.00 in the morning in the Glasgow Union disco. And that was a long time ago. If it's NOT a p1ss take, god help us all. (Not that any omniscient, omnipresent deity exists of course...)
ski holidays
Hmm, yes I feared that people might not be over impressed, and I wasn't happy with the commentary which seemed to suggest that it's all very simple! HOWEVER - If I could ski a fraction as easily as them, I'd be ecstatic and so they do give me a model which I think at my level is more use than watching videos of high level slalom skiing as it kind of looks like what I MIGHT one day emulate, where as the extreme positions of the racers - Noooo Way!
ski holidays
little tiger, yes, the early sequences, to my eye are fone. But the later ones are bizarre (to be polite) and as for the voiceover?
ski holidays
skimottaret, done!
snow report
David Murdoch, no i'm not talking about newskiers video.... the italian ski instructors one .... i am unsure of the location right now
ski holidays
David Murdoch, www.amsao.it

you want the lessons video... then check the differnt levels ....
ski holidays
NewSkier wrote:
If I could ski a fraction as easily as them, I'd be ecstatic and so they do give me a model which I think at my level is more use than watching videos of high level slalom skiing as it kind of looks like what I MIGHT one day emulate, where as the extreme positions of the racers - Noooo Way!

try this one

http://www.amsao.it/main.php?curr_liv=2&curr_id=71&prec_liv=1&prec_id=33&lang=it&sotto_livelli=&tip=19

there are higher levels i have given you the starting one...
snow conditions
little tiger, OK, those are nice.
latest report
snow report
Some of the high end demos are pretty good, however the commentary will produce a clique of heel pushers.
snow conditions
krunchie63, do you have any good videos that could be added to the thread i refered to earlier?

little tiger, shame they are not in English....
ski holidays
skimottaret, yeah I'd love to hear the commentary...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
krunchie63, do you have any good videos that could be added to the thread i refered to earlier?

little tiger, shame they are not in English....
I think I do...I will check and get the links for you. I know there is a good CD Rom with video clips that was made by some BASI trainers 6 years ago but I don't think it is up on the internet or youtube.
ski holidays
little tiger, Yes they are good. Anyone who could translate the Italian, or perhaps produce a text summary of each? I understand the captions ok, but I can only pick up odd bits of the speech, from having a smattering of Spanish.

Incidentally the 1st one shows the skier bending and straightening the legs - sinking down about half way round the turn, straightening up as they approach the next. Now, when I've been told to do this, it's seemed very artificial, not coming naturally and nobody has explained why it's necessary, meaning I'm not quite sure what I am doing. I have been thinking (oh no, NewSkier's thinking again Shocked everybody hide!): is this what should lead ultimately, when I have more speed (note, I am saying WHEN, not IF Very Happy ), to using the skis' shape, pressing them down into the snow when sinking down and "de-weighting" by rising up, causing the 'rebound' effect to assist the change of edge?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, yes a translation would be nice huh?

I was taught a slightly different version than them - with a little angulation to put a bit more weight on the outside ski... (I think it is because our ski school had austrian links and this is a more austrian progression maybe?).... I still think this Italian video looks good though...

I will leave the instructor folks to help you with the flexion extension as I am a bit unsure about how to describe my idea....
snow report
NewSkier, The Italians are doing exagerrated demos in those (low end) videos, so the seemingly excessive movement is greatly amplified, for the benefit of other trainee instructors, and beginers.

When you ski, you move your joints, extending and flexing, primarily to deal with the terrain and pressure (and virtual bump) that is generated as a result of you skiing/turning.

So, on that really gentle terrain in the video, that amount of movment is excessive, but in terms of doing a demo, necessary, as people tend to only move around 10% of what the instructor is showing!
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
You are having a Steffi, mate ! rolling eyes
latest report
NewSkier wrote:
little tiger, Yes they are good. Anyone who could translate the Italian, or perhaps produce a text summary of each? I understand the captions ok, but I can only pick up odd bits of the speech, from having a smattering of Spanish.

Incidentally the 1st one shows the skier bending and straightening the legs - sinking down about half way round the turn, straightening up as they approach the next. Now, when I've been told to do this, it's seemed very artificial, not coming naturally and nobody has explained why it's necessary, meaning I'm not quite sure what I am doing. I have been thinking (oh no, NewSkier's thinking again Shocked everybody hide!): is this what should lead ultimately, when I have more speed (note, I am saying WHEN, not IF Very Happy ), to using the skis' shape, pressing them down into the snow when sinking down and "de-weighting" by rising up, causing the 'rebound' effect to assist the change of edge?
Oh OH..I have been drawn into doing what I swore I would not do but here we go......I know I am going to regret it.....

This is a very common misunderstanding and question...and it can and has held a lot of skiers back for many years if the misunderstanding is allowed to continue uncorrected....this issue is root of many problems and by clarifying it many skiers instantly imrpove beyond recognition with very little further help. This (and basic postural/balance issues) has arisen in most of my lessons even with skiers who have been skiing for a long time..I often hear people say "But I've been doing it like this for 20 years" as if it is some kind of a quality statement. rolling eyes

If the teacher does not make the effort (or simply can't due to lack of language skill) explain why we flex and straighten our legs it does cause confusion...it is all about controlling (or managing as some people now like to call it) the pressure against the skis.

stretching (or straightening) of your legs and flexing (or shortening) is the principle method to control the pressure against our skis

Stretch your leg to apply pressure...ie gently press the ski (or skis) against the snow and balance against the ski or skis...
Flex your legs to reduce the pressure BUT......the flexing or shortening of your leg should...I stress should...be a RESULT of you relaxing the muscles in your legs when you feel sufficient pressure or resistance.(This is not 100% accurate for bump skiing but we will have to look at that in another thread) You relax the muscles and the legs will start to "collapse" or flex under the pressure...you have to control this "collapse" by relaxing your muscles progressively.

Now, this is not easy to sense when you are skiing slowly..especially in basic ploughs and basic skidded turns on flat slopes...but it is a principle you should grasp now and as your speed increases and you learn to ski with more edge grip you will be able to feel these forces more clearly and the sensations will be more obvious.

If you are straightening your legs and popping up in the air to unweight both skis and then flexing your legs and "kneeling" and pushing against the ground round the last 70% of your turn you are increasing pressure when you should be decreasing pressure and you will have no pressure aginst the ski just at the moment you really need it (ire at the start of the turn). You will also probably get very tired...I know I did..this is exactly what i thought i had been taught 27 years ago and I battled on skiing 6 weeks a year for 10 years with the same misconception (and lots and lots of private lessons..pirates !) and only when I started training to get a qualification the coach asked me...what are you actually doing ?? Your skis never grip well when it's steep ...what are you thinking about. I described it and he said "wonderful...that is exactly what you are doing...now stop it you clown and do this!"
That made all the difference.

Enough from me - I am bracing myself for all the mickey taking from a couple of guys in Chamonix - it will be deserved and funny I am sure, after all I have been giving it out myself so here's your chance. By the way, I do like to be provocative but never mean to offend so for the few people I have poked with sarcasm please don't take it personally.

Annnnnndddddddd....they're off !
latest report
krunchie63, Otherwise known as 'Frosty's flop' or 'the snowman's sag' Very Happy wink (old joke from last year's PSB)

I like the italian vid much better, but thought the early demos were a bit stiff. The advanced gold one had some good examples of ILE!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
krunchie63, Otherwise known as 'Frosty's flop' or 'the snowman's sag' Very Happy wink (old joke from last year's PSB)

I like the italian vid much better, but thought the early demos were a bit stiff. The advanced gold one had some good examples of ILE!! Very Happy Very Happy

What is the frosty flop ? When a skier flexes their legs to try and push harder against the skis ?

Different subject..italian vid...The italians have a reputation for keeping their ankles quite stiff and open (upright) deliberately and teach pupils to do the same..do you agree with that comment ? These demos do look as if it is the case...which is a veyr stark contrast the the Bode Miller tips vid on youtube where he and his coach stress a great deal of flex of the ankle and forward pressure..and his stance does appear to be just that...his knees seem very far forward...it is interesting to see such opposing approaches from people who can all clearly ski.
ski holidays
latest report
krunchie63, there is no help for you now, you have been sucked in.............

LT, I see flexed ankles, in fact, I see an overflexed outside ankle....... Laughing

(in that still you posted above)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 23-11-07 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
veeeight....let me look again..which clip ? I should have written that I was watching the bronze and silver demos. I didn't like the plough demos because the plough was too wide for my taste and therefore set the skis on too great an edge angle making them hard to rotate and steer...now I know that is the way the method many ski schools taught plough 20 years ago but I was taught to demo them with a narrower plough and flatter ski.
snow report
veeeight wrote:

LT, I see flexed ankles, in fact, I see an overflexed outside ankle....... Laughing

Very Happy me too.... well that is what I thought... but I'm no authority...
latest report
krunchie63, gold advanced level... because you were comparing with bode...
snow conditions
LT - thank you. I don't see anything odd btu i don't understand the commentary either and therefore it's not clear to me what they are trying to demo/explain. Anyway, I don't like their trousers !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy