Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

base grinds?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wax and edge my own skis but at the end of last season I sent the skis to a shop for their first base grind, edge and wax. I asked them to leave the wax on for storage over the summer.

The skis have never needed p-tex but after 30-odd days skiing their was a few scratches on the base but none more than 1 or 2 mm deep.

With a small to moderate chance of skiing this weekend Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I scaped the wax off and gave them a brush and there is still a few scatches (more than I was expecting) I was expecting a pristine base.

Was I expecting too much and how much does a base grind take off?

PS. The edges are sharp and at the angles I asked them to be set at. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
II, they certainly should not have taken off more than they have done. The scratches you have left are purely cosmetic. The purpose of the grind is to flatten & structure the bases (& perhaps if you'd wanted to reduce the base edge angle) so only the minimum amount of material should be removed to achieve this. Many shops just grind away to remove all marks but this just needlessly removes excessive material & after a few treatments the base ends up way too thin. Your shop did a good thing & you owe the tech a beer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy