Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Washing salopettes question

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
Its about time that I got round to washing my salopettes after a few skiing holidays. On the lable it mentions that its best to reproof them aftwards. I've had a brief look on the web and it seems there are reproofing services available (for about £30 to reproof salopettes) as well as Nikwax or something. I was wondering if 1) it is highly recommended or vital to reproof after their 1st wash and 2) is there a cheap / effective way to do this by yourself? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IceIceBaby -- Just buy a new pair. Washing and waxing is not worth the hassle.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nikwax reproof is less than £6 a bottle and does 3 washes its a lot cheaper than a new pair of pants rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IceIceBaby, II is right. Washing with Nikwax is not a hassle at all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IceIceBaby, Welcome to snowHead 'heads

Nikwax is easy to use just follow instructions on the bottle I tend to soak it rather than put in washer as it leaves a residue in the washer
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IceIceBaby, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IceIceBaby, Oh, sorry, should have said - Welcome! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mine and Mr m's have never been the same after washing and I used the Nikwax stuff. Get a new pair is my opinion. Get down to The Maxx.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IceIceBaby, welcome to snowHead fantastic sig BTW too Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IceIceBaby, Stick around , pixies are HOT !! You provide your own 'wood'!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe I did it wrong Puzzled Give it a go and see. If they are ok - bonus, if not get new.

WelcomeIceIceBaby,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Never had a problem washing them Puzzled , ours are all fine and are washed frequently. Machine washed, inside out on the 25 degree handwash cycle, with a bit of soap power and no fabric softener.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IceIceBaby, Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead Nikwax works well, just remember to take them off first. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mine are fine after several washes, I use Techwash, very slow spin only, and haven't reproofed them. However, it all depends what they are made of. Fabrics like Goretex, or similar, can't be washed with detergents - and the Techwash instructions require you to wash all the detergent residue out of the dispenser in the machine (a good thing really, given the way mine gets gunged up!). It depends on the price, too - if they are expensive ones it's well worth finding out how to wash them properly. the nikwax site has a lot of information -
http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-us/index.php

I telephoned them once, when I was unsure about instructions related to garments with fleece linings, and they were very helpful.

Goretex and similar fabrics work better if kept clean, incidentally.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

All I want for Christmas is a box of Smurfs and a mallet.

The pixies will not be intimidated by this remark Shocked Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Must have just been me then. Mind you I have a knack of getting jumpers for dolls out of the washing machine. Very Happy
snow report
Tumbledry
snow report
natural soap flakes (and no chemicals such as softeners, etc), and reproof with nikwax spray.

That would be my advice.

Oh, and welcome to snowHead
latest report
jbob, maybe. Mine have a "no tumble dry" symbol on the wash label. Depends on the fabric. They take ages to drip, too - have to hang them in the shower and not leave it till the last minute.
latest report
I use the all-in-one wash & dry Nikwax. Warm, but not hot, wash in washing machine, then a very careful tumble-dry, notwithstanding that garment label says not to. You have to tumble-dry to activate the Nikwax, at least the one I use, but it's important to do it on a low setting and not for too long - it wouldn't do to melt the damn thing just after you've gone to the trouble of washing and re-proofing it!
snow conditions
Many thanks all for your advice. I'll give this Nikwax stuff a go and see what happens. Would prefer to avoid buying a new pair as want to focus all cash on a crash helmet and new jacket this year Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Linds wrote:
Quote:

All I want for Christmas is a box of Smurfs and a mallet.

The pixies will not be intimidated by this remark Shocked Crying or Very sad

NO we bloody well won't................. Shocked
snow report
IceIceBaby, If you go on the Nikwax website, do their questionaire and they'll send you some for free. Very Happy
ski holidays
IceIceBaby, Welcome to the mad house! I use Nikwax as per the instructions and spin them inside out followed by 5 min in the tumble drier then hang out to dry. Has worked fine for many years.
snow report
I use the Nikwax Tech-wash and the reproofing stuff as well, which is pretty effective. Bear in mind IceIceBaby that you will never return them to factory finish, but buying new gear after every 3 or 4 holidays is a luxury most can't/won't afford. And I tumble dry fleeces etc all the time, not melted anything yet.
ski holidays
30 degree wash with the usual washing stuff (Ariel in our case) no soft rinse & an extra spin at the end of wash cycle. Hang them on an airer for a few hours with the pockets pulled out. Also wash the jackets in the same way with no problems.
Always wash sallopettes & jackets after every ski trip.
snow report
Missus R32 is just about to put my down jacket in the machine with Nikwax Down Wash & Down Proof.....not used it before......bit worried now reading some of the above comments....will let you know later if I need to buy a new jacket rolling eyes . Should be okay though...she has a degree in Textile Science.
snow report
Wash?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jacket is fine! Looked a bit strange when it first came out, but is now dry and looks fine, or will do when I give it a bit of a shake to redistribute the feathers!!!

Missus R32 rolling eyes
latest report
P.S. Have also just washed a pair of Mr R32's salopettes that I found lurking in the wardrobe rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy