Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on Morzine and Portes Du Soleil ?

Poster: A snowHead
I am going to be in Morzine for a week in early Jan, I am staying The Tremplin hotel - Anyone any experience of it ?

I have skied in the PdS a couple of times before but was with people who knew the area really well so pretty much just followed without taking too much notice of where I was.

This time I will be skiing alone and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good "tour" type routes around the area ?

I can cover a lot of ground in the day when skiing alone and would like some nice circular routes around the PdS that would keep me busy without doing the same runs over and over ?

Any Help would be appreciated, I have my piste map ready to mark the routes on Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-11-07 21:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The PDS has circular routes marked on the Piste map & signs, in the shape of Animals. So you can just follow the particular route that you want to take just by looking for the animal signs on the piste markers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, do the routes take in one area at a time ? what level are they aimed at ?

I was looking for routes that went around the whole area taking in Swiss side, when I skied in the PdS previously we did "the swiss tour" with a friend which took all day and covered a lot of distance but I cant remember at all where the route started/finished etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nealglover, the routes are all of differing standards and go all over the PdS IIRC...the animal denotes how hard it is but I can't remember which is which! You can pick up a special map at the lift station with all the routes marked and just follow the signs...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nealglover, tried to do the circuit when I was in Morzine a couple of seasons ago. It was all going well until I got to Morgins, when I found that the Morgins-Avoriaz peak was closed so I had to go back via Chatel again! Then I got stuck on a lift for about ten minutes when it was closed due to high winds, saw people being 'rescued' from another lift and was barely able to move against the wind back down into Avoriaz... Still, after all that snow, conditions were beautiful the next day when the sun came out. Still, it was quite an adventure!

I just worked out my own route on the map. If I recall correctly, you have to use the bus at Chatel and Morgins.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Only 1 bus is usually required (Linga to Chatel), but that can be bypassed via a long flat trail/road. No idea where it is... I just followed the guide. No bus required at Morgins, just a short 2 min walk.
On the French side, just 'follow the white rabbit', but note that many white rabbit (snow hare?) routes are indicated. They are all on the local piste maps afaik.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andy, Interesting to know about not having to take bus at Linga. I have always used bus, does anyone know this route? Advice requested.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roy Hockley, I really don't remember how to get to it, but just remember it being a flat path that sort of turns into a back street. Whichever way you go, I think there's still a bit of a walk in Chatel to the cable car. It was also mentioned on one of the other Avoriaz/Morzine/...etc threads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nealglover, Like homphomp, says
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The classic 'tour' is Avoriaz - Lindarets - Mossettes - Morgins (there's a blue which is direct and avoids the endless T-bars), quick walk or minibus, Super Chatel - Chatel ; bus to Linga - Plaine Dranse - Lindarets - Avoriaz.

The reverse is more time consuming as you have to wind your way through Switzerland from Morgins to Les Crozets; but has the advantage of being able to ski (if there's snow, natch) through Morgins.

PdS map

But there are endless variations on the theme. I'd suggest do it once 'vanilla' and then you can explore a bit next time, once you've got an idea of timings.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always done the loop the other way around, starting from Ardent Bubble...
Ardent-Lindarets-Plaine Drainse-Linga-(get sardine can bus)-Super Chatel-(detour via Torgon for some views)-Morgins (ski right into village, and walk a short distance)-Champoussin-Les Crosets-(detour via Champery/Avoriaz if time permits)-Lindarets-Ardent.
Certainly helps to have someone who knows where they are going, since it is a lot of different sectors. We've certainly skiied from top of Avoriaz back down to Ardent in fading light after doing the pretty much the longest route.

Tempted to do a few days in Morgins/Chatel, maybe in Jan, and explore a bit, since that's the only bit I'm not too familiar with.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
doctor_eeyore, Actually, the "classic" "circuit" from Morzine is Avoriaz (by however), Chavannette (The Wall), Crosets, Champoussin, Morgins and then as you suggest. The Lindarets=Mossettes link is "relatively" recent.

The real challenge is - Morzine, beer in Belvedere on far side of Mont Chery, Torgon, Chapelle d'Abondance, Morzine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, I stand corrected. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
doctor_eeyore, wink not at all, I'm sure you defined the current standard. I, I'm afraid, are a little dated.

Actually the fun one was up the Mossettes chair from Crosets then either down the couloir of the rock into the dark forest of Morgins or down the current under Mossette chair onto Abricotine. Sadly the chair has ruined all of that. Who invented chairlifts anyway?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am off to PDS on 3rd Feb for 4 days. I have been reading the above and tyring to plan out a good day route. This will be my second time to PDS and I want to cover as much snow as possible this time.

Is this route do-able? and worthwhile/fun?

Ardent (d’Ardent) - Lindarets (Chaux Fluene) - Plaine Dranse (Les Combes) - Linga (Bus or walk) then (Super Chatel) I am a bit stuck on the best route straight into Morgins to avoid the T bars? Any suggestions? Then Morgins (La Foilleuse) Champoussin (Bochasses) (Aiguille des Champeys) (Pointe de l’Au) Les Crosets - (Crosets 1 or 2) (Ripaille 1&2) (Chavanette) Avoriaz - Lindarets - Ardent

We are early starters and late finishers so could this be done with a stop for lunch somewhere nice? Any suggestions variations, must sees etc would be gratefully received Very Happy

I want to work in the black under the (Aiguille des Champeys) in Champoussin & The Swiss Wall if possible, could that be done? What are the timings on this likely to be?

Thanks in advance.
ARMS[/b]
latest report
Arms, that route is pretty much the one we've done a few times. We took a diversion to do the Torgon sector once or twice, and from Les Crosets did the Champery/Planachaux sector too, but it really depends on the time you get there - don't want to miss the last lift back over!

We usually stop for coffee break at bottom of Linga before getting the bus to SuperChatel, and then stop for lunch at a small hut on the way down to Morgins village. No idea what it's called, but this is the view (maybe someone might recognise it?):
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lAyziiIP0Z8/Rp5b7BRQdsI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/IU97912cLZ4/s720/tmp3a00bff0.tmp..JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_lAyziiIP0Z8/Rp5b9RRQdtI/AAAAAAAAAYY/BqcW2vdeEtk/s720/tmp7034e56b.tmp..JPG

Found this GPS track log on gpsies, which is mostly same as the route we took. Been meaning to convert that to a Lift/Piste route instruction.
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=evpmqkyqlsyvjwzl
snow report
Hey Andy, thanks for that. I checked the gps site....how cool is that on the google earth 3D as well. Would be great if someone could get the lifts and runs loaded onto that. Wow!

Someone on another thread said that a lift in Champery is closed now and replaced with a temp drag. So that might make the route a little hard/slower.

Thanks again though, getting excited like a small child now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy