Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel moving in boot

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I bought Salomon boots in Austria last year and tried them on again at the weekend to cheer myself up and it reminded me that I was a bit doubtful about them at the time. I think I might have bought them slightly too big. I did get expensive insoles over there but am not sure if that's enough.
It's not that they hurt or anything but I feel my heel moves up and down a bit too much in them and I don't feel secure. I could adjust all the clasps to tighten them but I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do or should I just forget about them altogether.

I tried on at least 30 pairs in a few different shops and these were certainly the most comfortably by a country mile at the time. The guy in the shop spent ages with me but it's very confusing trying them on. Luckily, they didn't cost a fortune; although I would have spent more but it's just that they were the ones I was happiest with in the shop.

I suppose I'm not experienced enough to know when they fit properly really. How much should your heel move up and down (if at all)?

Thanks
Rebecca
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't panic yet. Try skiing in them when you go. imo your heels shouldn't move up and down in your boots. Try tightening the strap across your instep and the first one up your ankle. Soomeone commented that your feet (in the boots) should feel like someone is holding them snuggly all over.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Erica2004.

I had another go last night and really think they are beyond redemption. However, I have a fall back position: I took out the insoles and got MrRibena to give them a whirl. Luckily we are similar sized and hey presto - perfect fit for him! Smile He is delighted and I've learned what not to buy.

Rebecca
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr Ribena will need some form of insole!!

BTW the heel will always feel like it "moves" a little as even if it was 100% clamped into position your skin has some give in it!...

If you take the liner out of the boot, and put your foot into the shell, just so the toes touch the front, and then stand in a natural skiing position, ie flexed, how much space is behind your heel?

If you have 1 to 1.5/2 finger thicknesses between the back of your heel and the inside of the back of the shell then it's probably the right size.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
Mr Ribena will need some form of insole!!

BTW the heel will always feel like it "moves" a little as even if it was 100% clamped into position your skin has some give in it!...

If you take the liner out of the boot, and put your foot into the shell, just so the toes touch the front, and then stand in a natural skiing position, ie flexed, how much space is behind your heel?

If you have 1 to 1.5/2 finger thicknesses between the back of your heel and the inside of the back of the shell then it's probably the right size.

regards,

Greg
very scientific...how thick exactly are fingers anyway ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
krunchie63 wrote:

You've not heard of the shell test then I take it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MissRibena, I had real problems getting boots to fit. I have a narrow foot and narrow ankle. In the end I got some Strolz boots. They have foam (2 pack mixture) injected liners. I think you can get similar from Snow and Rock.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had the same problem. A bootfitter in St Anton glued some foam on the liner behind my anklebones (the round bit of the bone, whatever that's called) and things have improved significantly. (I need even more foam though).

Before that, I was at times in excruciating pain from trying to clasp them too tight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
krunchie63 wrote:

You take what you want..probably gets you in lots of trouble. It's just that when I measure how much space exists between the skiers heel and the rear of the shell it I prefer to know the distance in millimetres not bits of fingers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
krunchie63 wrote:
kitenski wrote:
krunchie63 wrote:

You take what you want..probably gets you in lots of trouble. It's just that when I measure how much space exists between the skiers heel and the rear of the shell it I prefer to know the distance in millimetres not bits of fingers.

Instead of being a smartarse, why not share your knowledge? What distance in mm should she be checking for then??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
krunchie63, bearing in mind that if you can get a ruler behind the heel to acurately measure the distance it's usually a sign that there's too much space behind it wink

Actually the finger test is a good one as smaller people (with correspondingly smaller fingers) need proportianately less space than lardies such as myself Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone. Will give the finger test a go.

The insole I took out for MrRibena was only the extra one I had put in to try to make it fit better last season.

I think part of the reason I bought them big is that my foot is a little wide, so to stop it from pinching there I ended up going too big.

I didn't think I was particularly difficult to fit out because I'd only had one dodgy experience with rented boots.

It's great picking up all the tips here - thanks again.
Rebecca
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I always thought the finger test was pretty much an industry standard.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, a long time ago I was told, in no uncertain terms, to call 3/4" dowel '19mm' whenever a pedant showed up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MissRibena wrote:
I think part of the reason I bought them big is that my foot is a little wide, so to stop it from pinching there I ended up going too big.

I've made that mistake as well. If you have wide feet look for a wide shell (a good bootfitter will be able to advise what models have the widest lasts), but it needs to be the right length. If the shell is still too narrow get it stretched.
ski holidays
comprex,

Come on it's 19.049999999999997mm not 19mm Toofy Grin
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
krunchie63 wrote:
kitenski wrote:
krunchie63 wrote:

Instead of being a smartarse, why not share your knowledge? What distance in mm should she be checking for then??

Can't help it I'm afraid - it comes from being british but at least that tendency is fading a bit now I haven't been there for many years.
It's just it sounded similar to measuring torque by the shade of white your knuckles go when you grip the screwdriver or the depth of purple your face might go as you grit your teeth trying to turn it - some of you guys need to lighten up - I know that's hard stuck in that little island but try eh ...you may even enjoy your ski holidays !
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
krunchie63, bearing in mind that if you can get a ruler behind the heel to acurately measure the distance it's usually a sign that there's too much space behind it wink

Actually the finger test is a good one as smaller people (with correspondingly smaller fingers) need proportianately less space than lardies such as myself Laughing
I wasn't bearing that in mind ..I never once thought about stuffing a ruler down someone's boot.
latest report
comprex,

Come on it's 19.049999999999997mm not 19mm Toofy Grin
latest report
Actually I did read an article in an equipment mag about the proposals by the Weights and Measures Institute regarding calibration of bootfitters index fingers - I will look it up and post the link if I find it.
ski holidays
Have they finished calibrating Le Gran K yet?
latest report
I also had some foam glued to the liners, worked a treat to prevent ankle lift.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy